1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Report: US credibility at all time low

Discussion in 'World Politics' started by Popeye, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

This study suggests that US credibility is at an all time low. Many of it's points seem to affirm what some people have been saying for awhile. Maybe someday, diplomacy will stop being referred to as appeasement , and we can once more regain our standing in the world.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/11/07/2083981.htm

2. PLC1

PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

Maybe the next president, whoever that may be, will be able to have a smarter foreign policy. It's hard to see how there could be a dumber one.

If only we can make it until next January, and if only we can elect someone who can clean up the mess we have now.

3. USMC the Almighty

USMC the Almighty New Member

This is what I don't get. There are 513,000 elected officials in this country. The President is just one (albeit an important one) in this whole system. Maybe for once we should stop looking at solutions to come from the top down but from the bottom up -- the local level. Obviously, foreign policy is one thing but real change is never going to happen if we rely on the President and Congress. There's just way too much bureacracy, way too much self-importance, way too much partisanship, and way too little capacity for big ideas and solutions.

Real change for nationwide solutions, I believe, must come from the bottom up. Simply changing the man in the White House isn't going to do a whole lot. Yeah, some federal buildings might be renamed and there would be some reshuffling around of people in various high-level positions, but on the whole, not much really gets done.

4. Bunz

Bunz New Member

If we can only make it another year...that is the $2 question. I hope so. I am looking forward to election day 08. I just hope Americans wake up and realise we dont want another President because of thier last name. We need real change.

Foreign policy is potentially the greatest trouble for any President. We need a President who is consistent and wants to be friends with those who share similar values.

5. Bunz

Bunz New Member

This would be the ideal situation. Your idea of a less top heavy government goes right along the Ron Paul line of thinking. But that is another discussion.

I am quite active in local politics. Over this time, I have come to realise several things when it concerns the operations of different governments.
    Working with DC is a headache. Jarhead, think of a chain of command by committee. Doesnt make much sense does it?

Anytime someone up the chain needs something, they needed it yesterday. When something comes down the chain its at thier leisure, and never enough to do the job.

Small communities can state thier opinions on different things through resolution. When the resolution gets forwarded, it is often overlooked by those up the chain unless they already agreed. It never changes minds based on our opinions.

6. Irishone21

Irishone21 New Member

I agree with US completely... but the top must do what it can to change the bottom, just as the bottom must do what it can to change the top, if that makes sense. The top has the capabilities, and the power, enabling them, where as the people have the numbers. And in regards to advanced (soft) power, and primitive (hard power), we need to gradually decrease primitive power, placing more trust and faith in advanced power. Basically, we all need to be leaders and dedicate ourselves to change. I vote for Ron Paul. He restores the Revolution.