1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Richest Nations Pledge to Halve Greenhouse Gas

Discussion in 'World Politics' started by PLC1, Jul 9, 2008.

  1. PLC1

    PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Messages:
    9,862
    Likes Received:
    474
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    The Golden State
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/science/earth/09climate.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

    Check it out. There is Bush, along with the leaders of other major powers, willing to go along with efforts to slow global climate change. How about that?
     
  2. mike9537

    mike9537 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2008
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Yer well I bet they could have agreed on it over a huge video conference, being alot more environmentally friendly.Or even they could have just made a facebook group and agreed on it then invited its 30billion users to join the group after.

    Seriously we got the technology to cut Green house gas right down right now, without making massive cutbacks to average lifestyles, why do they need a 40 year estimate... thats like agreeing on giving the older half of us the rest of our lives to sort it out!
     
  3. PLC1

    PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Messages:
    9,862
    Likes Received:
    474
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    The Golden State
    Really? What would you do to cut greenhouse gases right now without making massive cutbacks in lifestyles?

    Are there really practical methods that won't take years to develop and put into place?
     
  4. Libsmasher

    Libsmasher New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    Messages:
    3,151
    Likes Received:
    16
    Trophy Points:
    0
  5. PLC1

    PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Messages:
    9,862
    Likes Received:
    474
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    The Golden State
    It's supported by real science, all right, just not by the anti science voices who seem to like to support Bush.
     
  6. GenSeneca

    GenSeneca Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2008
    Messages:
    6,245
    Likes Received:
    501
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    ={CaLiCo}= HQ
    There is no shortage of "Real Science" on both sides of the issue... or psuedo science for that matter.
     
  7. GenSeneca

    GenSeneca Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2008
    Messages:
    6,245
    Likes Received:
    501
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    ={CaLiCo}= HQ
    Yes, massive nuke plant projects. Just 28% of our GHG emissions come from transportation while nearly all of the remaining 72% is from the production of electricity.... yet cars (esp SUV's) are targeted... There is a problem with the logic behind that which leads me to believe its not about reducing GHG's but an excuse to expand gov.
     
  8. PLC1

    PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Messages:
    9,862
    Likes Received:
    474
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    The Golden State
    Expanding nuclear generation would help, no doubt. I wonder just how many nuclear plants we could run before uranium became as scarce as other forms of energy?
     
Loading...

Share This Page