Saddam Hussein

mamab

Okay, so Saddam has been executed. How do you think that will affect what's going on in the Middle East? Do you think it will create more tension in the area, or do you think things will subside?

Werbung:
I think that it is not going to make much of a difference. If anything I think it will make things worse if that is possible. I will say that I was glad to see him gone. I am sorry but this man makes me sick. I have no qualms whatsoever with him being executed. Sorry, just the way I feel.

I don't think it will make much of a difference, either. The Baathists will just find a new leader, you know? While Saddam was a strong symbol of the party, they can continue without him.

The entire Islamic-Fundamentalist community has declared Jihad on us anwways. Not sure how it could get worse.

I don't think it will make anything better. Who knows if it could make things worse, I guess it gives the people in his home town more reason to want to fight everyone else I guess, I don't know. I hope they find a way to move on though, there've been too many deaths on both sides already.

Slightly different angle, did anyone watch the uncensored videos floating around? I saw it on some guys blog, I just googled for it. People say its bad taste to watch stuff like that...but I think if you're going to kill someone giving them the respect of a viewing is a good thing. Its also not bad to know exactly what it means when you condemn someone to death.

I don't think I could watch the videos, myself. My mil said she saw part of one on regular tv. Yes, I believe he needed to be punished for his crimes against his own people, and I don't even have a problem with his being executed. I do not, however, have to watch. It's fine just to know that he can't inflict any more pain on anyone else.

Other than what they have shown on TV I have not seen the whole thing. I mean the only thing I haven't see is when he falls through the floor and I just don't think I could watch it. I found what I did see enough. As bad as he was and as much as I am glad that he cannot harm anyone else I can not help but wonder when I see it on the news what he must be thinking at the very end.

I thought about googling to see if I can find the video, but I'm not sure whether I want to see it or not yet. I heard that he refused to wear the hood while executed.

I think there will actually be a change now that he is dead. There are a lot of Iraqi's who were afraid that somehow Saddam might still return to power. In the 90's, there were Iraqi's who helped the Americans, and when we left, Saddam tortured them. There have been some reluctant to do anything for fear that it could happen again. I think these people will now stand up and take part in the new government.

I think a lot of what will happen moving forward has more to do with the interconnectness of Islam and it's various strains (denominations if you will) with the cultural and political machines in Iraq. I like to think things will get better and that moderate religionists among the Iraqi citizens will be in the forefront, but the fact is we will simply have to watch.

. . . but the fact is we will simply have to watch.

So right, mtatum, all we can do is watch and see what happens.

I would like to see things work out for the Iraqi people, they've been through enough under Hussein's reign. I'm glad that part is over, and hope and pray that things will get better.

I think there will actually be a change now that he is dead. There are a lot of Iraqi's who were afraid that somehow Saddam might still return to power. In the 90's, there were Iraqi's who helped the Americans, and when we left, Saddam tortured them. There have been some reluctant to do anything for fear that it could happen again. I think these people will now stand up and take part in the new government.

Given the state of consistent civil unrest not directly related to Saddam within Iraq, I'm not sure how much import the "fear of Saddam's reinstatement" would really have.

As an afterthought: But given the history of Iraq post-Gulf war, it's likely to be quite a valid assessment. I'd probably want to know more information about just what the gravity of the situation is, but I'll be damned if I know where to get a reliable source!

I'm not sure I trust ANY news source to give me the WHOLE truth. I know I've heard things from people that have actually been over to Iraq (in either war) that gave differing stories than what are told in the news.

That reminds me of the blogging culture that has manifested itself among the Iraq troops- much to the US Army's horror.

Werbung:
I don't trust any one source. I look at Foxnews and Drudge. If I see something interesting, or something I want more information on, I go looking for it.

I have talked to people who have been over there as well. Most of what I hear is : Iraq is still in bad shape, but it is a lot better than what you hear on TV.

Back