Scottish Independence

Werbung:
I would like to hear your views on Scottish Independence.

Would it be good or bad?

Discuss. :D
How many years has this movement been in existence? 400 or more? Americans generally are not aware that the movement is still current, save for Craig Ferguson's comments on late night TV complaining about hundreds of years of British domination.

To me, an American, the problem seems to be that there is not, and has not been a clear majority of Scottish on the side of independence (Much like Puerto Rico). If there was, there would likely be an independent Scotland by now. But, if my memory is correct, the Highland Scotts have always wanted independence, the low land Scotts have sided with the British. "Ya gots to get" a clear majority.

Please enlighten me if my perception of the situation is incorrect...I am a long way away from the problem.

I think the EU should rule the entire British Commonwealth as one vassal state.
Just my two cents ;-)

OK, just kidding. This is not disimilar from some notable groups in Alaska that would like independance from the United States...I dont see it happening peacefully. The London Government has far to much invested into Scotland in terms of infastructure and defense to walk away when they still need the resources and industry found in Scotland to make a peaceful split unlikely.

The same could be said for Alaska, except we are much larger, have vast more natural resources, but far less infastructure and poppulation.

The same could be said for Alaska, except we are much larger, have vast more natural resources, but far less infastructure and poppulation.
To my mind, the Alaskans really screwed up when they became a state. They were better off as a territory. They had all the benefits of citizenship, but little or nothing of the negatives. I remember them really howling when the U.S. took(designated) vast amounts of Alaska's land as Federal property. Just what Alaskans got out of citizenship, I do not what was gained. What did you guys get?

Werbung:
To my mind, the Alaskans really screwed up when they became a state. They were better off as a territory. They had all the benefits of citizenship, but little or nothing of the negatives. I remember them really howling when the U.S. took(designated) vast amounts of Alaska's land as Federal property. Just what Alaskans got out of citizenship, I do not what was gained. What did you guys get?

I dont have much time to go deeper into it, nor do I want to hijack this thread, but ultimately we got more control over our land and resources, but also more local political freedom. Ill expand to more later.

Back