Sec. Gates proposes an end to the F-22 Program

I don't really buy into the Economic Dependency Theory, but certainly many smart people do. I just think the historical record (such as the 30 years war) shows it is not reliable.

During that period, Europe was extremely interconnected economically, and still launched into an all out war. I think it is a lot harder to prove empirically that economic considerations prevented war in most cases. In my view the EDT is a nice theory, but practically I think it is unreliable at best.

Not to mention, China has multiple nuclear missiles of their own aimed at the United States currently, in an attempt to deter the US from getting involved in a Taiwan crisis. I think our credibility still is on the minds of the Chinese leadership in this area however, and we need to ensure that it remains there.

over the last 30 years, what nations that where heavily dependant on each other for there econ went to war?

Werbung:
over the last 30 years, what nations that where heavily dependant on each other for there econ went to war?

Israel and Lebanon were highly interconnected, and Lebanon still hasn't recovered.

Georgia, Russia, Ossetia war. Extremely interdependent economies. By the way, had to post this... just too funny...

georgiafail.jpg

Funny eh?

Back to the topic. I think there is a correlation between interconnected economies, and war. But I do not believe it is based on dependence.

Is it possible the real answer is that when any two nations have strong economic ties, that simply due to the increased interaction between the two peoples, results in more basic understanding? Having more open communication, tends to result in less hostility and conflict.

This isn't a theory that if was all talk, then all conflict will cease. That's a joke. We have more methods for communication now than ever before in history, yet there is still conflict. But clearly when people talk it out, there is fewer problems.

But the EDT theory to me is a bust. Simply having economic 'dependence' doesn't mean much. Go to Wiki and look at the list of wars, and so many had economic ties, and it stopped nothing.

I notice Andy already beat me to it on some of it, but to add to that, 30 years is not long enough to prove a theory. A 30 year time frame is nothing.

Werbung:
no, only reason I picked 30 years, was that gives a modern time frame of modern connectives.

As For Russian Satellite states, they are connected, but that's the issue...they where broken off, and Russia does not under the new leaders want that...also Muslim extremist are a key issue ( as in Lebanon) who are not part of the government itself. And if you look at modern states...ones that the US would have to actually be worried about attacking us...they have basically been war free with the expectation of Russia...but that's almost internal fighting over former USSR blocks ...I don't see any nation being a threat anytime soon that has strong financial ties to us...attacking the US in a first strike any time soon. could it happen sure...but the far more likely threats are going to be Sept 11 like attacks , and insurgencies.

Back