1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

self-heating meals...

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by palefrost, Sep 1, 2006.

1. palefrost

palefrost New Member

Check this out! I was just reading Cooking up innovations on the CNN page and i noticed this one. It sounds kinda neet for a quick lunch or something.

Here is the whole page. some of the upcoming ideas are stupid but it will be fun to see which ones fly and which ones die in the future.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2006/09/01/8384331/index.htm

2. sarah

sarah New Member

The latest trend in 'get you fat quick' except this product doesn't need heat... I like the idea, but I also think we are too dependant on the quick fix. I miss the days of good old home cooking.

3. Brandon

Brandon New Member

I can't wait for the Star Trek replicator to come out.

Computer. Hot chocolate, milk, fluff.

Processing.

*ding* Your cocoa is now ready!

Next I want those crazy shwooshing doors!

4. sarah

sarah New Member

Nah... I'm waiting for the teleporters. HaHa

5. palefrost

palefrost New Member

Speaking of Star Trek (the orginal series) did you hear about the revamping CGI they are working on? The first episode that was done will be airing September 16th last i heard. Omg i just hijacked my own thread! :eek:

6. Brandon

Brandon New Member

No I didn't hear anything about it and yes you just attempted to hijack your own thread!

7. l99999us

l99999us New Member

I'll have to keep a lookout for that.....

peace

-Todd

8. palefrost

palefrost New Member

9. OneofaKind

OneofaKind New Member

It's not something I would normally be interested in. However, giving it a second thought it might be good for low budget short holidays away from home.

10. LyricB

LyricB New Member

You know, as someone who has had the self-heating MRE's while serving in the military I can't say I'm all that jazzed about using it in civilian life. What ever happened to heating stuff up on the stove anyhow?

11. palefrost

palefrost New Member

I can see it as a great lunch alternative if you work in a small office without a microwave or if you are traveling. Heck even a college kid could find a use for it. Camping could use it. Do people still camp? LOL I think the quality of the meals they offer will decide if people do it though. ITs about 8 bucks each so i want something tasty myself.

12. LyricB

LyricB New Member

Yeah, okay, good point palefrost. I guess I just avoid anything that I had to do when in the military. Like those people who wear camoflauge as a fashion statement...bet they wouldn't do that if they had to wear it every day for four years.

13. Brandon

Brandon New Member

When I was in the service I hated MRE's. I thought they tasted gross and had a funny texture to them. I can see using them for camping and such but I wouldn't want to eat them all the time. I did find the self-heating part cool though. The first time I did it, I was highly amused.

14. LyricB

LyricB New Member

Well then, maybe people will buy these self-heating meals for the amusement factor. :) I'm with you on the funny texture and taste of MREs though.

15. palefrost

palefrost New Member

You were in the service? For how long? What did you think of it? What service. I think its interesting to see how it effected your political views...