Sen. Stevens(R-AK) Indicted!

Through his "Northern Lights" PAC, Stevens has made more than $340,000 in campaign contributions this campaign cycle, including donations to every Republican senator up for reelection in 2008.

Stevens' PAC has contributed nearly $30,000 to the Nat'l Republican Senatorial Committee this cycle.

Here are some notable Republicans who have gotten contributions from Stevens' PAC this year.

Elizabeth Dole--$10,000
John Sununu--$10,000
Norm Coleman--$10,000
Pat Roberts--$10,000
Gordon Smith--$10,000
Susan Collins--$10,000
Lamar Alexander -- $10,000
Saxby Chambliss -- $10,000
Jim Inhofe -- $10,000
John Barrasso -- $10,000
Mitch McConnell -- $7,500
Thad Cochran -- $5000
Mike Enzi -- $5,000
John McCain--$5000
Richard Shelby -- $5000
John Cornyn -- $5,000
Roger Wicker -- $5000
Don Young--$5000
Jeff Sessions -- $2,500

Some, such as Dole and Sununu are now giving the equivalent of Stevens' contributions to their campaigns to charity.

Strangely enough, as I post this, the McCain campaign has yet to come out and say what he plans to do with the $5000 he got from Stevens. Rather slow to react I would say.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/07/30/1234850.aspx

Werbung:
Even a halfway decent lawyer should be able to delay this until he dies of old age. Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there. He can't have a whole lot of time left at his age.

From hearing the Mayor of Anchorage (a conservative Dem who's running against him & has been ahead) talk on the Radio today I think Alaska will be the better for this development.

Now Senator Stevens may pull a Larry Craig and try to hold on until the election. But he's leaving one way or the other.

McCain campaign has yet to come out and say what he plans to do with the $5000 he got from Stevens. Rather slow to react I would say.

McCain probably made an announcement the DAY this broke but all the Media were kissing the messiahs ring and missed it...

Republican Senator Stevens is on the way down & out quick! That will now be an easy seat for the Dems.

I think Stevens is in his eighties so I don't think he really cares all that much about punishment though. From what I heard they have people already convicted of crimes in this matter testifying for the government and a bushel of evidence.

We will see.

Yes we will see. Stevens will probably lose in November. I will venture a guess that he will win the GOP primary though. Stevens is in his 80s, you are correct, but I can assure you he does care about any potential legal punishment. Considering he is charged with 7 felonies, if convicted on more than 1 would probably cause him to get a sentance that he would not live to see the end of. Plus, this is a horrible fall from grace for the Uncle Senator. He was beloved until this came down. The biggest damn airport in the state is named after him.
But you are correct to a point. The other convictions and indictments stem from the same guy who was doing things for politicians that he shouldnt have been, and they let him do it. The others were based on either audio or video evidence. Whereas the Stevens issue is surrounding lying to investigators.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there. He can't have a whole lot of time left at his age.

There has long been rumors that he is ready to keel over at any moment. I am good friends with a well connected Alaskan who is on a first name basis with the entire Alaska Congressional Delegation. He has said to me many times, "Alaska will continue to roll in pork, as long as Uncle Ted's cardiologist does his job."

From hearing the Mayor of Anchorage (a conservative Dem who's running against him & has been ahead) talk on the Radio today I think Alaska will be the better for this development.
Mark Begich is the man you are talking about. What show was he on?
As a side note, in the lower 48 he is known as a con-dem. Up here, he is the most liberal Mayor Anchorage has ever seen. He is well left in the Alaska political spectrum.

Now Senator Stevens may pull a Larry Craig and try to hold on until the election. But he's leaving one way or the other.
He has made it clear he is not going to step down from the Senate. He has stepped down from his various ranking committee memberships though. He has also said he will continue his campaign.

With a republican Govenor of Alaska, I kinda wonder why he doesn't retire and let the Gov. appoint his replacement. (ala Trent Lott of Mississippi). This would give the appointee a leg up in november and senoirity if he/she is elected.

With a republican Govenor of Alaska, I kinda wonder why he doesn't retire and let the Gov. appoint his replacement. (ala Trent Lott of Mississippi). This would give the appointee a leg up in november and senoirity if he/she is elected.

In Alaska it goes to a special election. This stems from former US Senator Frank Murkowski winning the AK Governorship in 2002. After saying he would only appoint one of three people on a short list. He appointed his daughter. This caused much anger. While she has since been re-elected on her own, it caused a citizens initiative movement that made any US Congressional delegation appointments go to a special election.

As an update. He has asked for a speedy trial. He wants to clear his name BEFORE the election. I am quite surprised to be honest with you. It shows confidence in his innocence.
It is a big gamble, I have the feeling if he were to be aquitted, he will win re-election.
http://www.adn.com/news/politics/fbi/stevens/story/480507.html
The article is much longer than what I can copy and paste here. I would encourage everyone to read the entire article and notice the comments from Alaskans. Seems like there is still a lot of support for Uncle Ted.
Stevens' trial scheduled before election

By ERIKA BOLSTAD
ebolstad@adn.com

Published: July 31st, 2008 06:55 PM
Last Modified: July 31st, 2008 06:56 PM

WASHINGTON - Sen. Ted Stevens will have the opportunity to clear his name in a federal court before the Nov. 4 election, but a judge seemed unlikely to move the case to his home state where jurors might be more sympathetic to the 84-year-old political titan.

The Alaska Republican made his initial appearanceThursday afternoon in federal District Court in Washington. He pleaded not guilty to seven counts of failing to disclose gifts investigators say he received from Bill Allen, the former chief of the oil services company Veco.

The 84-year-old lawmaker, a former U.S. Attorney, prosecuted wrongdoers in Alaska in the 1950s and has filed briefs with the Supreme Court. But Thursday's court appearance was his first as a defendant in a criminal case.

Stevens isn't trying to "ask for any special favors because he's a senator and served 40 years in the Senate," said his lawyer, Brendan Sullivan. But, "he'd like to clear his name before the election. This is not a complex case. It should be one that moves quickly."

U.S. District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan set a tentative trial date of Sept. 24

"The reason for your request is not an insignificant one," the judge said. "I can appreciate why the senator would like to have this matter commence and concluded before the election."

Stevens' attorney told the judge it was the first time in his career that he recalled asking for a criminal trial to be moved at such a fast clip. On his way into the courthouse Thursday afternoon, Stevens waved to the television cameras lining Pennsylvania Avenue, within walking distance of the Capitol. He waited quietly for the proceedings to begin and was greeted politely by the judge, who welcomed him to the courtroom by saying "Good afternoon, senator."

Stevens said little during the hearing, but followed it closely. When it came time to enter his plea, his lawyer did it for him. After the first segment of the hearing, Stevens left the hearing room with his arms around his wife, Catherine, and one of his daughters, Beth. When it concluded, Stevens and his family and lawyers took the elevator down to a side exit, where he was whisked away in a black Cadillac.

Stevens' office issued a statement at the end of the day with the senator reiterating his innocence.

"I am humbled by all the outpouring of support, expressions of friendship, and offers of prayers," the statement said. "This process has lasted for more than a year, causing great distress to my family and confusing the Alaskans who have put their trust in me for more than 40 years.

"When all the facts come out at the trial, Alaskans will know that I continue to be a dedicated public servant and that I am working hard for them every day."

If he can get an early trial and then force it through to an aquittal then he saves the election for himself. If he is granted an early trial with a verdict before the election then it will demonstrate that the courts are in his pocket. A good prosecutor would never allow all evidence to be collected and be proceeded upon before the 90 odd days remaining.

Too many charges which most likely aren't all just invented to destroy his reputation.

If he can get an early trial and then force it through to an aquittal then he saves the election for himself. If he is granted an early trial with a verdict before the election then it will demonstrate that the courts are in his pocket. A good prosecutor would never allow all evidence to be collected and be proceeded upon before the 90 odd days remaining.

Too many charges which most likely aren't all just invented to destroy his reputation.

The trial is not even going to take place in Alaska from what I understand. It will be a fair trial.

Something's up if he succeeds in getting it pushed through that fast Rob.

Can just as easily argue that something was up with the timing of the indictment. I think that it will still be a fair trial even if it happens quickly.

If he can get an early trial and then force it through to an aquittal then he saves the election for himself.
I agree, and seeing the situation on the ground first hand, I think a Stevens aquittal will win him the election. My prediction that the indictment would cause his downfall was a bit early, I didnt know his trial would be that soon.
If he is granted an early trial with a verdict before the election then it will demonstrate that the courts are in his pocket.
I am not convinced at all the courts are in his pocket. This is coming down from a GOP led Justice Department, towards a Senator that has been very loyal to the President. He asked for the quick trial. The right to a speedy trial is granted in the bill of rights
A good prosecutor would never allow all evidence to be collected and be proceeded upon before the 90 odd days remaining.
They (FBI) raided his Girdwood home a year ago to investigate the work done. This investigation has been ongoing for nearly 2 years.
This sums up the whole thing. If the Justice Department didnt think they had an absolutely slam dunk case, they wouldnt have done this, especially this close to the election. 6 months ago, the Stevens seat was virtually a lock to be GOP. Now there is a good chance it will go DEM, but that is hinged into a conviction.

The trial is not even going to take place in Alaska from what I understand. It will be a fair trial.

He has asked that it be held up here, but I think it will remain in DC where he was indicted. But keep in mind, that Alaskan juries have convicted 4 other State Lawmakers under the same scandal. Dont think for a minute that a trial in Alaska would be a sure bet at aquittal.

Werbung:
Can just as easily argue that something was up with the timing of the indictment. I think that it will still be a fair trial even if it happens quickly.

The timing of the indictment is what is really surprising actually. About 6 weeks ago there was a big article in the Anchorage Daily News that basically
said, if Stevens has been indicted yet, he likely wont be indicted before the election. The timing came as a major shock to most Alaskans.

Back