Senate Passes Ban on Waterboarding

kida

The Senate voted yesterday to ban waterboarding and other harsh interrogation tactics used by the CIA, matching a previous House vote and putting Congress on a collision course with the White House over a pivotal national security issue.

In a 51 to 45 vote, the Senate approved an intelligence bill that limits the CIA to using 19 less-aggressive interrogation tactics outlined in a U.S. Army Field Manual. The measure would effectively ban the use of simulated drowning, temperature extremes and other harsh tactics that the CIA used on al-Qaeda
prisoners after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

President Bush has vowed to veto the legislation, which the House approved in December, and Congress does not appear to have enough votes to override a veto.
Full article

Werbung:
This seems very lenient to me. If we catch terrorists who have or have wanted to kill and destroy our people we have to treat them nicely.

This reminds me of what a teacher can do to a student who steals her purse, curses her, and then pushes her out of the way - namely nothing.

It won't make it past the White House. President Bush will veto it, and I'm pretty sure there aren't enough votes in Congress to override that.

heavyd:
I am a CONSERVATIVE, not a REPUBLICAN

I've been hearing this from a few people lately. Has this always been your position, or do you think the Republican Party is shifting away from Conservatism?

I am a product of the Great Communicator. It is both amazing and sad,how much a party can change in 20 years. I still vote mainly Republican, act it will be hard to vote for McCain. It is also a shame we have open primaries. Why should my enemy get to pick who they want to run against? If it were a 1 day,closed primary,McCain would not be the choice. I believe Romney would have been.

I am a product of the Great Communicator. It is both amazing and sad,how much a party can change in 20 years. I still vote mainly Republican, act it will be hard to vote for McCain. It is also a shame we have open primaries. Why should my enemy get to pick who they want to run against? If it were a 1 day,closed primary,McCain would not be the choice. I believe Romney would have been.
Interesting thoughts... I think to help eleviate some of the deviance for the voting would be setting it that if you vote REpublican in primary you have to vote republican for main election... I know I know this isn't probably the best thing but i don't think Dem's should be saying who should run for Repubs and vice versa...

Werbung:
Interesting thoughts... I think to help eleviate some of the deviance for the voting would be setting it that if you vote REpublican in primary you have to vote republican for main election... I know I know this isn't probably the best thing but i don't think Dem's should be saying who should run for Repubs and vice versa...

That's interesting considering what's going on in Texas right now. Rush Limbaugh has told Texas Republicans to cross over for a day and vote in the Democrat primary. I think the idea is to try to help Hillary win the nomination, because it should be easier for McCain to beat her than Obama.

Back