Senator Caroline Kennedy???

Bunz

Hi Folks,
I hope all is well with everyone with the holiday season approaching. I have seen a fair amount of discussion in the media about the possibility that Caroline Kennedy be appointed to fill the vacancy when Hillary is confirmed as SecState.

Does anyone have thoughts on appointing someone who has zero political experience, and also considering the mess surrounding who would be appointed to PE Obama's seat, why arent more states moving towards having a special election to fill Congressional vacancies.

So please, discuss....

Werbung:
Hi Folks,
I hope all is well with everyone with the holiday season approaching. I have seen a fair amount of discussion in the media about the possibility that Caroline Kennedy be appointed to fill the vacancy when Hillary is confirmed as SecState.

Does anyone have thoughts on appointing someone who has zero political experience, and also considering the mess surrounding who would be appointed to PE Obama's seat, why arent more states moving towards having a special election to fill Congressional vacancies.

So please, discuss....

I am a little perturbed that a Senate seat is now a Kennedy family heirloom apparently.

I am a little perturbed that a Senate seat is now a Kennedy family heirloom apparently.

Its not like a family member would be appointing her, as is the case with Lisa Murkowski who got there because her own dad appointed her.

Under the logic you are using, the WH has shown to be a Bush family heirloom.

I would much rather see the Senate come full circle and have vacancies filled the way they should be, by special election within 60 days.
Hot Rod is correct that a Senate seat is valuable position. It was 100 years or so ago that Senators became directly elected instead of being an appointment. Because the appointment to such a high office is to important to not let the people have thier say.

Its not like a family member would be appointing her, as is the case with Lisa Murkowski who got there because her own dad appointed her.

Ted Kennedy has apparently been putting a ton of pressure on the powers that be to ensure she gets it if she wants it.

Under the logic you are using, the WH has shown to be a Bush family heirloom.

No its not. They were elected.

I would much rather see the Senate come full circle and have vacancies filled the way they should be, by special election within 60 days.
Hot Rod is correct that a Senate seat is valuable position. It was 100 years or so ago that Senators became directly elected instead of being an appointment. Because the appointment to such a high office is to important to not let the people have thier say.

The 17th Amendment. Ratified 1912 I believe. I agree we need an election. I hate to see Senate seats be thought of as family heirlooms, which this seat is, basically because Bobby Kennedy once held it. Have the elections, I agree.

Ted Kennedy has apparently been putting a ton of pressure on the powers that be to ensure she gets it if she wants it.
I am not surprised to hear that, I would hope Ted would leave himself out of it, considering the family ties and it is not his state.

No its not. They were elected.
In regards to W, do you think he would have had a shot at even being Governor of Texas if his name wasnt George Bush?

The 17th Amendment. Ratified 1912 I believe. I agree we need an election. I hate to see Senate seats be thought of as family heirlooms, which this seat is, basically because Bobby Kennedy once held it. Have the elections, I agree.
I find the Bobby Kennedy comparison a little weak to be honest. He has been dead for 40 years.

I am not surprised to hear that, I would hope Ted would leave himself out of it, considering the family ties and it is not his state.

Agree.

In regards to W, do you think he would have had a shot at even being Governor of Texas if his name wasnt George Bush?

He won an election... If she wins the election, by all means the seat is hers. I will have no comment on that.

I find the Bobby Kennedy comparison a little weak to be honest. He has been dead for 40 years.

I do too, but it is sad that that has been touted in the news as a reason she should get it.

Hi Folks,

So please, discuss....

I discussed this in another thead.....
It's amazing to see how low the standards of the democratic party have fallen. :mad:
A community organizer is our president and now a rich girl wants to be a senator without any experience...

If obama is qualified enough to be our president, then she is more than qualified to be a Senator, though an actual election would be nice.... I bet she would win anyway so just giving it to her saves money on an election :)

I discussed this in another thead.....
It's amazing to see how low the standards of the democratic party have fallen. :mad:
A community organizer is our president and now a rich girl wants to be a senator without any experience...

Caroline Kennedy is not a "girl" she's a 51 year old woman. As for qualifications.. She graduated from Harvard, then Columbia Law School. She is a member of the board of directors of both the Commission on Presidential Debates and the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund. Plus she was co chair of Obama's vice presidential search team. She has interned for her Uncle Ted and her pedigree is not in question. I don't think there's any doubt that she would win reelection in 2010 either. I think she would make a fine senator.

Caroline Kennedy is not a "girl" she's a 51 year old woman. As for qualifications.. She graduated from Harvard, then Columbia Law School. She is a member of the board of directors of both the Commission on Presidential Debates and the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund. Plus she was co chair of Obama's vice presidential search team. She has interned for her Uncle Ted and her pedigree is not in question. I don't think there's any doubt that she would win reelection in 2010 either. I think she would make a fine senator.

I rest my case....:rolleyes:

I have no problem with her being a Senator, I just wish it could be voted on in a special election. Same goes for any open Republican seats.

I hear that the actress Fran Drescher wants that seat also. Im sure she has as much or more experience than Caroline. Hell, why don`t they just open it up to Hollywood,
this is a democratic year.

Werbung:
There's not going to be any special election and Caroline Kennedy has made it clear she intends on going after the seat in 2010...so, why not appoint her now? She would make an excellent senator.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/12/18/1720573.aspx

You know what! you're right! She deserves it. Let's do it now. After all, she probabbly paid good money for it, chaneling her money into Obama's election.

After all, that is Chicago style politics....:D

Back