Should Auto Prices Be ON THE CAR--Not Moroccan Bizarre Barter?

Johnny Tremain

I think the auto industry needs to destroy the system that rips off women and the gullible and rewards the con-man and put a price on a damn car and sell it that way.

Get rid of the bubble-gum smacking sleazeballs who hover around to screw you to the wall buying a car.

It's simply insane. And transparency is needed, this is stupid that we allow this to happen.

Werbung:
If you have a dealership you get cars from the manufacturers. As long as you pay the Mfg his price, why can't you sell it for any price you want? No, we don't need any more freaking laws.

If you have a dealership you get cars from the manufacturers. As long as you pay the Mfg his price, why can't you sell it for any price you want? No, we don't need any more freaking laws.

Because it is a racket that systematically takes advantage of the weak. Not unlike home sales--even worse.

Because it is a racket that systematically takes advantage of the weak. Not unlike home sales--even worse.

Balderdash. I've bought several cars on my own and have always gotten good deals for my money. You can get a good hair cut for under $20 or you can pay over $100 for the samething. Why should buying a car be any different?

Balderdash. I've bought several cars on my own and have always gotten good deals for my money. You can get a good hair cut for under $20 or you can pay over $100 for the samething. Why should buying a car be any different?

I understand your point.
I just personally find all car salesmen--and their ads--revolting.
And they do take advantage of women. Caveat emptor--is true.
But still...

yup, they take advantage of everyone pretty much equally and typically get what they are looking for. they've been doing this for a while, they have a plan.

and some tried it with success. That's where I like to go.

Costco will pre negotiate a price for you, too.

But, no one should ever go to buy a car without doing his homework on Consumer Reports first.

Agreed on the homework though few do.
Costco is nice in that it offers a turnkey transaction but turnkey always comes at a cost.

Agreed on the homework though few do.
Costco is nice in that it offers a turnkey transaction but turnkey always comes at a cost.

Last time I bought a car, after a price had been tentatively agreed upon, I mentioned going to Costco. The dealer checked out their cost, and came down another couple of hundred, gave me the Costco price.

Next time, I'll just start there and save some time.

Last time I bought a car, after a price had been tentatively agreed upon, I mentioned going to Costco. The dealer checked out their cost, and came down another couple of hundred, gave me the Costco price.

Next time, I'll just start there and save some time.

the real trick is finding out what he needs to make, walk in with cash (pre-arrange your own financing) and make it wasy for them to say OK. that bit of information is closely guarded.

the real trick is finding out what he needs to make, walk in with cash (pre-arrange your own financing) and make it wasy for them to say OK. that bit of information is closely guarded.
yes, it is. Consumer Reports, however, can give you a pretty good idea what a fair price really is.

It can also steer you away from unreliable models, and that's well worth doing a little homework.

Werbung:
yes, it is. Consumer Reports, however, can give you a pretty good idea what a fair price really is.

It can also steer you away from unreliable models, and that's well worth doing a little homework.

I find that today, internet research has eclipsed Consumer Reports.
They do give a nice exposition on possibilities, though.

Most all magazine endorsements and ratings are bribery--even Consumer Reports--which buys the products, but does not mention how the officials there have managed to get rich--"somehow". Magazines in various sports/disciplines are total pay-offs. It's why they exist.

Back