Should Cinco de Mayo be celebrated in America?

Werbung:
I like Mob movies. Im a huge Soprano fan. Its too bad the series ended.Hopfuly theyre make a motion picture movie on the Sopranos.

I've never seen it, but I love Christopher Walken. I know he's not in it, but he plays great mobster characters. I guess I missed the first few seasons so I never bothered watching any of it. I did watch an episode the other day though, and it looked really good.

My kid likes it too. Maybe I'll buy him season 1 and we'll both watch it.

I say no! Its an mexican independance day when Mexico declared its independence from Spain. It should be celebrated in their country not in america.A lot of illegals celebrate it here in america.I would like to see a law no promoting Cinco de Mayo in america.Any one celebrates this on May 5th in any american city or town faces a fine of $500 plus 5 days in jail.

Again I have to pose the question. Could you possibly be more ignorant? Cinco de Mayo has absolutely nothing to do with Mexican independence. And no one in Mexico celebrates it. It's merely an observance. America is the only place where they do celebrate it. Oh and by the way. While you are busy deciding what laws to make for everyone, consider this. We should out law the Confederate flag. It remains a symbol of racism and hatred while dumb rednecks defend it as a symbol of rebellion and the southern way of life. I think any American who displays the flag of racism should face a fine of $500 plus five days in jail. Makes at least as much sense as anything you have ever said.

We should out law the Confederate flag. It remains a symbol of racism and hatred while dumb rednecks defend it as a symbol of rebellion and the southern way of life. I think any American who displays the flag of racism should face a fine of $500 plus five days in jail. Makes at least as much sense as anything you have ever said.

Spoken like a true liberal.

We should out law the Confederate flag. It remains a symbol of racism and hatred while dumb rednecks defend it as a symbol of rebellion and the southern way of life. I think any American who displays the flag of racism should face a fine of $500 plus five days in jail. Makes at least as much sense as anything you have ever said.

Man!! Read my avatar,, If you think a conferate flag represents racism then you dont know your history lessons.

Spoken like a true nit wit. The kind that needs to catagorize and stereotype to make his little world work. And apparently doesn't quite fathom the concept of irony or sarcasm.

Hahaha. That sure didn't seem like irony or sarcasm. If you really believe that the Confederate flag should be outlawed, then you, ma'am, are a true nit wit.

Beetle Bailey is making a personal attack here.I dont know thats against the rules here. The Other forum you get 2 points if you make an personal attack.

Hahaha. That sure didn't seem like irony or sarcasm. If you really believe that the Confederate flag should be outlawed, then you, ma'am, are a true nit wit.

Kind of disappointing. Probably your best shot too. Not really very clever or articulate or insightful or anything. Doesn't really sound like the Marine Corps officers I have known. They have all been extremely intelligent, dedicated, thoughtful men. Men who can usually articulate their thoughts in a very straight forward manner. Even if they didn't graduate from Annapolis. Some of the finest officers I have ever known came from ROTC or OCS. You don't sound anything like any of them.

Kind of disappointing. Probably your best shot too. Not really very clever or articulate or insightful or anything. Doesn't really sound like the Marine Corps officers I have known. They have all been extremely intelligent, dedicated, thoughtful men. Men who can usually articulate their thoughts in a very straight forward manner. Even if they didn't graduate from Annapolis. Some of the finest officers I have ever known came from ROTC or OCS. You don't sound anything like any of them.

Skipping over all the personal attack BS, by sheer numbers, OCS and ROTC will produce more good officers. But USNA ones stay in the Corps longer on average.

Man!! Read my avatar,, If you think a conferate flag represents racism then you dont know your history lessons.

It's the flag representing the people standing up against things they want different. Maybe those iraqis should borrow it? Perhaps the IRA would have use for it too? The major talking points of the confederacy WAS the remainder of slaves. And I shall quote.

C.S. Vice President Alexander Stephens, declared that the "cornerstone" of the new government "rest[ed] upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth". Four of the seceding states, the Deep South states of South Carolina, Mississippi, Georgia, and Texas, issued formal declarations of causes, each of which identified the threat to slaveholders’ rights as the cause of, or a major cause of, secession; Georgia also claimed a general Federal policy of favoring Northern over Southern economic interests.

and let's see what the states declarations of secession say. (since this is the reason that the battle flag was ever raised, and thus the thread that weaves the banner. )

S. Carolina
The people of the State of South Carolina, in Convention assembled, on the 26th day of April, A.D., 1852, declared that the frequent violations of the Constitution of the United States, by the Federal Government, and its encroachments upon the reserved rights of the States, fully justified this State in then withdrawing from the Federal Union; but in deference to the opinions and wishes of the other slaveholding States, she forbore at that time to exercise this right. Since that time, these encroachments have continued to increase, and further forbearance ceases to be a virtue.
Full Text

Mississippi
Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.
Full Text

Georgia
For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery. They have endeavored to weaken our security, to disturb our domestic peace and tranquility, and persistently refused to comply with their express constitutional obligations to us in reference to that property, and by the use of their power in the Federal Government have striven to deprive us of an equal enjoyment of the common Territories of the Republic.
~~
All these classes saw this and felt it and cast about for new allies. The anti-slavery sentiment of the North offered the best chance for success. An anti-slavery party must necessarily look to the North alone for support, but a united North was now strong enough to control the Government in all of its departments, and a sectional party was therefore determined upon. Time and issues upon slavery were necessary to its completion and final triumph. The feeling of anti-slavery, which it was well known was very general among the people of the North, had been long dormant or passive; it needed only a question to arouse it into aggressive activity. This question was before us. We had acquired a large territory by successful war with Mexico; Congress had to govern it; how, in relation to slavery, was the question then demanding solution. This state of facts gave form and shape to the anti-slavery sentiment throughout the North and the conflict began. Northern anti-slavery men of all parties asserted the right to exclude slavery from the territory by Congressional legislation and demanded the prompt and efficient exercise of this power to that end.

Full Text

Texas
Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to become one of the Confederated Union to promote her welfare, insure domestic tranquility and secure more substantially the blessings of peace and liberty to her people. She was received into the confederacy with her own constitution, under the guarantee of the federal constitution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery-- the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits-- a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time. Her institutions and geographical position established the strongest ties between her and other slave-holding States of the confederacy. Those ties have been strengthened by association. But what has been the course of the government of the United States, and of the people and authorities of the non-slave-holding States, since our connection with them?
Full Text

I believe the need for a history lesson is YOURS my friend. The flag is the battle flag of a war fought majorily for the slave trade. To commit obligatory slavery based on a race, is by virtue, racist, as you are objectifying a race as property. Please stop playing the Southern Cross battle flag defense card it's the lowest in the deck. That argument is old and tired, and hopefully I'll not have to repeat it. You my friend are racist, you are highly inflammatory, you are highly biased without reason other than obvious ignorance. No this is not a personal attack on you but rather your manner of thought and incorrect notions that anyone is of lesser value than yourself, I feel that quite the inverse, we need more intellectualism and less of a grip on tired old tradition based on malbelief. Sure they had OTHER reasons for succession but these were major talking points.

In regards to cinco de mayo. It's a fun holiday, up there with my St Patrick's day. Let the beer pour, I figured a good ol' boy like yourself would love that. Except oh gee, it's a holiday with a spanish name. Poor racists, can't enjoy a good beer.

Also, by the way, september 16th is mexican independance day ;) just so ya know.

Also lastly, let me note for you Mr. History Buff....That is not the confederate flag.

This is...
StarsNBars13Stars.gif

What you're displaying is the CSA Battle Flag, dubbed The Southern Cross.

/////Quick note, I was born and raised in Northern Alabama. Good day sir.

Also, cinco de mayo is the celebration of mexico kicking the French in the sack, as a true red and blue star studded american, why can't you support drinking beer to the idea of the french getting their asses kicked?

.....drivel

Werbung:
Back