Should Cinco de Mayo be celebrated in America?

Cinco de Mayo is not an American holiday tradition. America was founded by english people first and the english bought religion with em. Everyone of those quakers settlers bought a bible with em. Thats how we celebrated christmas and easter.So if an holiday is un american it shouldnt be celebrated here in america.

First of all, it wasn't the Quakers that came here...But the Puritans who were the first to settle in America.

And because of the Puritan influence, the majority of states in the 13 original colonies, banned those holidays. Outlawed because they were believed to be pagan holidays, not Christian holidays...And one could be severely punished if caught celebrating any of those holidasy. As was Thanksgiving. Only a few southern states (Virginia and S. Carolina) celebrated Thanksgiving/Christmas during early colonization of our country and didn't have laws specifically outlawing said celebrations. BUT, it wasn't an official federal recognized celebration until much later in US history for all the states of the US.

Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas didn't become a part of American culture until after the Civil war...As a means to give all US citizens a means to come together in celebration and heal a divided nation.

On a personal note, I don't see any problems with Cinco de Mayo being celebrated at all. It's a great time to try and get your buds to drink several shots of tequila so you can get a cool t-shirt, belt-buckle, or other 'Cinco de Mayo' gift at their expense. :D And then you get to poke fun at them the next couple of days while their hangovers are still present. :D

Werbung:
I say no! Its an mexican independance day when Mexico declared its independence from Spain. It should be celebrated in their country not in america.A lot of illegals celebrate it here in america.I would like to see a law no promoting Cinco de Mayo in america.Any one celebrates this on May 5th in any american city or town faces a fine of $500 plus 5 days in jail.

Maybe next no Saint Patrick's Day?

Cinco de Mayo is not an American holiday tradition. America was founded by english people first and the english bought religion with em. Everyone of those quakers settlers bought a bible with em. Thats how we celebrated christmas and easter.So if an holiday is un american it shouldnt be celebrated here in america.

Thats Unamerican

Again I have to pose the question. Could you possibly be more ignorant? Cinco de Mayo has absolutely nothing to do with Mexican independence. And no one in Mexico celebrates it. It's merely an observance. America is the only place where they do celebrate it. Oh and by the way. While you are busy deciding what laws to make for everyone, consider this. We should out law the Confederate flag. It remains a symbol of racism and hatred while dumb rednecks defend it as a symbol of rebellion and the southern way of life. I think any American who displays the flag of racism should face a fine of $500 plus five days in jail. Makes at least as much sense as anything you have ever said.

Well to be fair ...you forgot its the Flag of those who fought our own government ...or as some call it..>Treason

I say no! Its an mexican independance day when Mexico declared its independence from Spain. It should be celebrated in their country not in america.A lot of illegals celebrate it here in america.I would like to see a law no promoting Cinco de Mayo in america.Any one celebrates this on May 5th in any american city or town faces a fine of $500 plus 5 days in jail.

I thought the whole idea of America was freedom, wasn't it? Personally I never pass up a chance to celebrate--God knows there are few enough of them. I say we start to celebrate EVERYBODY'S independence days! More freedom, more celebrations! And less of the damn government telling us what we can and can't celebrate.

Don't celebrate Christmas, Jesus wasn't born in America.

And besides that He was a commie who advocated giving all your money to poor people. It's a good thing that nobody really pays any attention to the stuff He said because it would just get in the way of our endless quest for more money.

Easter is another foreign commie holiday too, isn't it, Steve? What about Valentine's Day, didn't the French invent that? At least we know those little naked kids flying around were invented by the Italians so we better not celebrate that either. SAINT PATRICK'S DAY, talk about un-American!

First of all, it wasn't the Quakers that came here...But the Puritans who were the first to settle in America.
:D
It is my understanding that the first colonies were economic ventures and that the Puritans came later. Also, there is a better case to be made that America was founded more upon screwing the indigenous people out of their land that the concept of religious freedom.

I thought the whole idea of America was freedom, wasn't it? Personally I never pass up a chance to celebrate--God knows there are few enough of them. I say we start to celebrate EVERYBODY'S independence days! More freedom, more celebrations! And less of the damn government telling us what we can and can't celebrate.

I think it quite ignorant for someone to say that! Christmas wasn't an "American" holiday until the English colonist made it so. For years after the Revolutionary War American didn't celebrate Christmas. The only truly "American" holidays are Thanksgiving and Idependence Day. We still celebrate St. Patrick's Day but no one says anything because it primarly celebrated by white people. The people who celebrate Cinco de Mayo are Mexican or Mexican American. The Mexican part didn't just fall away once them or their ancestors enter this country. People should be proud of where they came from. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I think it quite ignorant for someone to say that! Christmas wasn't an "American" holiday until the English colonist made it so. For years after the Revolutionary War American didn't celebrate Christmas. The only truly "American" holidays are Thanksgiving and Idependence Day. We still celebrate St. Patrick's Day but no one says anything because it primarly celebrated by white people. The people who celebrate Cinco de Mayo are Mexican or Mexican American. The Mexican part didn't just fall away once them or their ancestors enter this country. People should be proud of where they came from. I don't see anything wrong with that.

There is nothing wrong with celebrating Cinco de Mayo, it just should not be a federal holiday.

Why not, its a great day to eat tacos and drink to much beer. I would be against making it a national holday or paid holiday but its a fun party. St. Patricks day is fun too, another great day to have tooooo many beers

There is nothing wrong with celebrating Cinco de Mayo, it just should not be a federal holiday.

uhm, its not a federal holiday...the following are federal holidays in the US.

Tuesday, January 1 New Year’s Day
Monday, January 21 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monday, February 18 Washington’s Birthday
Monday, May 26 Memorial Day
Friday, July 4 Independence Day
Monday, September 1 Labor Day
Monday, October 13 Columbus Day
Tuesday, November 11 Veterans Day
Thursday, November 27 Thanksgiving Day
Thursday, December 25 Christmas Day

uhm, its not a federal holiday...the following are federal holidays in the US.

Tuesday, January 1 New Year’s Day
Monday, January 21 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monday, February 18 Washington’s Birthday
Monday, May 26 Memorial Day
Friday, July 4 Independence Day
Monday, September 1 Labor Day
Monday, October 13 Columbus Day
Tuesday, November 11 Veterans Day
Thursday, November 27 Thanksgiving Day
Thursday, December 25 Christmas Day

Thank you Dr. Obvious. I was simply stating it should never be a federal holiday.

Again I have to pose the question. Could you possibly be more ignorant? Cinco de Mayo has absolutely nothing to do with Mexican independence. And no one in Mexico celebrates it. It's merely an observance. America is the only place where they do celebrate it. Oh and by the way. While you are busy deciding what laws to make for everyone, consider this. We should out law the Confederate flag. It remains a symbol of racism and hatred while dumb rednecks defend it as a symbol of rebellion and the southern way of life. I think any American who displays the flag of racism should face a fine of $500 plus five days in jail. Makes at least as much sense as anything you have ever said.

Aight lets not have to drag a mod in here please people... It is however pretty obvious for someone living in states near mexico that the problem isn't as much the celebrating of Cinco De mayo as it is Illegal immigration. The entire dislike Big rob has probably stems from the fact that our country is being urt by illegals within the country. Not only is it an economical problem but creates an upheavel in cultural bases in that given area.

Any driving thru a crappy neighbor in dallas or Ft. Worth gets the prespective instantly.. Everything is written in spanish .. shops , markets , advertizing and even now Public faclities. (( FYI .. this is not English AND Spanish .. its ONLY spanish...))While change is not a bad thing considering our need for lower paid workers.. the fact that it is happening at such an extreme rate is the problem.. Americans are litterally being forced out of certain neighborhoods because of this type of grand social change taking place.. and without diviersification and proper absorbing of immigrants.. we are losing this land to people who don't hold the values of typical americans.

That being said.. you can look at any number of communites in new mexico and texas.. entire neighborhoods are run down in disarray.. being reduced to nearly third world standards because of non-exsitant care for property and renivations done that are not being inspected by city code enforcers.

While at the moment these neighborhoods are the exception to the rule.. that fact is quickly losing ground as all of our schools , public facilities and neighborhoods become ore and more influenced by the illigeals and those refusing to acclamate themselves to U.S. law and culture.

On a personal note.. I manage a warehouse for a company in texas.. we are having large racks installed throughtout it and the crew that came to do the work speaks no english... Not only is their problems on verifying who is walking in my warehouse.. but because of the lack of ablitiy to communicate directly the plans i want.. they are now 3 days behind schuedule and my entire warehouse is in disarray. Not to mention the fact they are littering during their bar-b-ques in my parking lot (( for real... can;t they bring lunch to work already cooked? )) but how do you tell someone to clean up their mess when no one wants to speak the lanaguage of commerce?

It's a sad state of affairs ... and unfortunally the fustration of those living in it have no way to vent then pick on the social symbols associated with this invasion.

Another perfect example is flying the mexican flag while protesting ... Considering that they are pushing for illegals to become citizens and have the laws loosened.. shouldn;t they wave the american flag? Its funny that they wave the flag of the country they are running away from.. as if somehow it repsents a strength when it is in fact their weakness

Werbung:
Back