Should marijuana be legalized?

Should we legalize it?

• Yes

Votes: 52 73.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 26.8%

• Total voters

saggyjones

Should we legalize pot on a national level? I'd like to hear people's opinions.

I believe we should for the following reasons:

--Marijuana isn't linked to lung cancer, unlike cigarettes.
Cannabis Smoke and Cancer: Assessing the Risk - NORML

--Police arrested an estimated 786,545 persons for marijuana violations in 2005, and 88% were arrested for possession alone.
Marijuana Arrests For Year 2005 -- 786,545 Tops Record High... Pot Smokers Arrested In America At A Rate Of One Every 40 Seconds - NORML
Sending that many people to jail is a big waste of tax money for something so nonthreatening.

--2001 Total Deaths: 2,416,425 Cannabis Related Deaths: 138
truth: the Anti-drugwar Cannabis "Related" Deaths (2001)

-Now let's take a look at the alcohol related deaths.

--Marijuana doesn't impair driving ability as much as alcohol, as shown by this introduction to a study:

Here's another quote (facts are on that page but I'm simply summarizing the one above):

As you can see alcohol is a far greater killer than marijuana.

--A common argument is that marijuana leads to harder drugs. That's not the case:

Also, and I believe this is very important, legalizing marijuana will drastically reduce the amount of people who move on to harder drugs. Imagine this situation: A person looking to buy some pot goes to his neighborhood drug dealer because he can't grow it or buy it legally in a bar or something. He goes back a month later to buy some more and the dealer asks him if he wants to try some harder stuff. The person says yes and marijuana becomes a gateway drug to cocaine, meth, heroin, etc. If marijuana is legalized this won't happen because people won't go to drug dealers to obtain it.

--Another common argument is that by legalizing marijuana more people will use it. This is a flawed argument for two reasons:
1. As shown by the number of deaths in 2004, more users won't really make a difference.
2. Pot being illegal doesn't really stop people from buying it (this is based on personal experience, not any facts).

So in conclusion, if you're going to keep marijuana illegal why not make alcohol illegal also? I'm fine with both being illegal since I don't use either very much, but alcohol is a much bigger killer than weed, and it's not harming anyone, so why criminalize it? And as the bold text above states it's actually doing harm making it illegal.

Werbung:
marijuana is a gateway drug.

usage of marijuana will lead to usage of harder drugs.

however, i have to agree with you on the alcohol part. i think there should be more restrictions on alcohol

Now... the truth....

A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers. Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.

Marijuana abuse also has the potential to promote cancer of the lungs and other parts of the respiratory tract because it contains irritants and carcinogens. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke. It also induces high levels of an enzyme that converts certain hydrocarbons into their carcinogenic form—levels that may accelerate the changes that ultimately produce malignant cells. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which increases the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke. These facts suggest that, puff for puff, smoking marijuana may be more harmful to the lungs than smoking tobacco.

One study has indicated that an abuser's risk of heart attack more than quadruples in the first hour after smoking marijuana. The researchers suggest that such an effect might occur from marijuana's effects on blood pressure and heart rate and reduced oxygen-carrying capacity of blood.

The short-term effects of marijuana can include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate.

Some of marijuana's adverse health effects may occur because THC impairs the immune system's ability to fight disease. In laboratory experiments that exposed animal and human cells to THC or other marijuana ingredients, the normal disease-preventing reactions of many of the key types of immune cells were inhibited.

http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/marijuana.html

marijuana is a gateway drug.

usage of marijuana will lead to usage of harder drugs.

however, i have to agree with you on the alcohol part. i think there should be more restrictions on alcohol

Apparently you didn't read my entire post. As I stated, the legalization of marijuana would lessen it being a gateway drug, because when it's illegal people have to go to a dealer to get it. If it's sold like any other product, you could just buy it at the store, and not be exposed to harder drugs from your dealer. If that's confusing read this:

saggyjones said:
Also, and I believe this is very important, legalizing marijuana will drastically reduce the amount of people who move on to harder drugs. Imagine this situation: A person looking to buy some pot goes to his neighborhood drug dealer because he can't grow it or buy it legally in a bar or something. He goes back a month later to buy some more and the dealer asks him if he wants to try some harder stuff. The person says yes and marijuana becomes a gateway drug to cocaine, meth, heroin, etc. If marijuana is legalized this won't happen because people won't go to drug dealers to obtain it.

Now... the truth....

A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers. Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.

Marijuana abuse also has the potential to promote cancer of the lungs and other parts of the respiratory tract because it contains irritants and carcinogens. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke. It also induces high levels of an enzyme that converts certain hydrocarbons into their carcinogenic form—levels that may accelerate the changes that ultimately produce malignant cells. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which increases the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke. These facts suggest that, puff for puff, smoking marijuana may be more harmful to the lungs than smoking tobacco.

One study has indicated that an abuser's risk of heart attack more than quadruples in the first hour after smoking marijuana. The researchers suggest that such an effect might occur from marijuana's effects on blood pressure and heart rate and reduced oxygen-carrying capacity of blood.

OK you proved me wrong about the lung cancer part. I'll address why it doesn't matter at the end of the post.

InterestedParty said:
The short-term effects of marijuana can include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate.

Along with feeling like a million bucks! lol

InterestedParty said:
Some of marijuana's adverse health effects may occur because THC impairs the immune system's ability to fight disease. In laboratory experiments that exposed animal and human cells to THC or other marijuana ingredients, the normal disease-preventing reactions of many of the key types of immune cells were inhibited.

http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/marijuana.html

Alcohol and cigarettes are also bad for your body, yet they are legal. I'm sure you know how bad alcohol is, and I don't think I need to post a link; same with cigarettes. What you're arguing for is the government controlling what people do to their own bodies, which isn't fair and pretty much goes against our constitution. Something the government should regulate or ban is stuff that puts other people in danger, like alcohol, secondhand smoke, etc. If you look at my first post you will see that marijuana is not a threat to other people and should not be prohibited. I would support making alcohol illegal but it's not fair to have it legal and keep marijuana illegal.

Alcohol and cigarettes are also bad for your body, yet they are legal. I'm sure you know how bad alcohol is, and I don't think I need to post a link; same with cigarettes. What you're arguing for is the government controlling what people do to their own bodies, which isn't fair and pretty much goes against our constitution. Something the government should regulate or ban is stuff that puts other people in danger, like alcohol, secondhand smoke, etc. If you look at my first post you will see that marijuana is not a threat to other people and should not be prohibited. I would support making alcohol illegal but it's not fair to have it legal and keep marijuana illegal.

I could honestly care less about the entire issue, but this is one argument that I never understood "Oh well alcohol is legal, so pot should be be legal."

I could honestly care less about the entire issue, but this is one argument that I never understood "Oh well alcohol is legal, so pot should be be legal."

Alcohol causes many more deaths than weed, even in comparison with the number of users.

These are just some random stats:

--2001 Total Deaths: 2,416,425 Cannabis Related Deaths: 138

http://www.briancbennett.com/charts/death/01pot-related.htm

In 2004, there were over 16000 deaths directly related to drunk driving in the United States.

http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-driving-deaths.html

What do these stats prove in regards to marijuana? If anything, these numbers provide you with an argument for banning alcohol.

What do these stats prove in regards to marijuana? If anything, these numbers provide you with an argument for banning alcohol.

I would wholeheartedly support banning alcohol. I just don't think it's fair to people who want to smoke pot that such a harmless drug is illegal and a harmful drug (alcohol) is legal. By harmless and harmful I mean to other people, not to oneself.

"If you look at my first post you will see that marijuana is not a threat to other people and should not be prohibited."

Anything that distorts perception and loss of coordination is a threat to other people. Marijuana included.

You are using a very weak argument. You feel it should be legalized so you can use it without consequences.

Please explain to me exactly how not legalizing marijuana is a violation of the Constitution. (This should be good). :rolleyes:

"If you look at my first post you will see that marijuana is not a threat to other people and should not be prohibited."

Anything that distorts perception and loss of coordination is a threat to other people. Marijuana included.

You are using a very weak argument. You feel it should be legalized so you can use it without consequences.

It is much less dangerous than alcohol as shown by the number of deaths in a year related to it, only 138. NyQuil, cough syrup, and other over the counter drugs have effects like drowsiness and loss of coordination and are dangerous while driving, and they are legal. But I'm fine with you not wanting to legalize marijuana as long as you explain why alcohol should stay legal when it's much more dangerous.

InterestedParty said:
Please explain to me exactly how not legalizing marijuana is a violation of the Constitution. (This should be good). :rolleyes:

Did I ever say it is a violation of the Constitution? That's not even part of my argument.

Did I ever say it is a violation of the Constitution? That's not even part of my argument.

You implied that your not being able to smoke marijuanna legally was a violation of your Constitutional rights.

What you're arguing for is the government controlling what people do to their own bodies, which isn't fair and pretty much goes against our constitution.

It is not my responsibility to debate whether or not alcohol use should be legal or illegal. I've seen you use this tactic a number of times now. You attempt to justify one thing by condemning something else instead of debating the issue on the facts. Just state the obvious... you want to be able to get high without the fear of criminal prosecution. You are willing to overlook the potential negative side effects to be able to do this. Just say it. If you truly cared about the effects of alcohol or smoking regular tobacco then you wouldn't support smoking pot either.

You implied that your not being able to smoke marijuanna legally was a violation of your Constitutional rights.

Can you quote this part?

InterestedParty said:
It is not my responsibility to debate whether or not alcohol use should be legal or illegal. I've seen you use this tactic a number of times now. You attempt to justify one thing by condemning something else instead of debating the issue on the facts. Just state the obvious... you want to be able to get high without the fear of criminal prosecution.

That's exactly it, except I'm not that selfish. I want other people to be able to get high also. But I also don't think it's fair to pot users that drinkers get to drink without prosecution when it's much more dangerous than marijuana. I don't see how that argument is irrelevant.

InterestedParty said:
You are willing to overlook the potential negative side effects to be able to do this. Just say it. If you truly cared about the effects of alcohol or smoking regular tobacco then you wouldn't support smoking pot either.

Why should the government control what people do to their own bodies? The problem I have with alcohol is that it kills so many people besides the one drinking. Marijuana doesn't do that.

Legalise it and put tax on it. People are less danger to themselves and other people sat stoned at home than out on the streets pissed up.

It's a gateway drug because it introduces people to a world of illegal drug deals. If they were buying it over the counter in their local store they wouldn't be going anywhere near anyone who has an interest in 'E', coke, crack, meth or any of that rubbish. They'd also be taking a lot of drug revenue away from the illegal dealers and creating a new industry.

It works fine in Amsterdam. My friend Loz moved to Amsterdam after finishing Uni a couple of years back and about 6 months ago he quit smoking dope, after having done so illegally for many years in this country. Why did he quit when it was legally available to him? Because he realised he wasn't achieving any of his big entrepeneurial ideas because he was too staoned to act on them. You can easily break your own addictive cycels if you're treated like an adult by the society you live in. smoking dope and drinking booze are both things that can be done responsibly and in moderation but are terrible when done in excess.

I think if it's legalised it can be more sensibly managed... and the Government should be seeing $$$ signs when thinking about the prospect. That's a hell of a lot of tax revenue potential.

Oh and another thing on the drugs subject, did you know that studies show America would save billions of dollars in the war against drugs if it spent more on rehabilitating users rather than costly military campaigns in Cuba destroying arable land. The growers simply move on and start up again while the user on the street barely notices. Stop people using and the drugs problem disappears. Supply and demand. Cut off the demand and nobody will bnother to supply any longer.

Werbung:
Legalise it and put tax on it. People are less danger to themselves and other people sat stoned at home than out on the streets pissed up.

It's a gateway drug because it introduces people to a world of illegal drug deals. If they were buying it over the counter in their local store they wouldn't be going anywhere near anyone who has an interest in 'E', coke, crack, meth or any of that rubbish. They'd also be taking a lot of drug revenue away from the illegal dealers and creating a new industry.

It works fine in Amsterdam. My friend Loz moved to Amsterdam after finishing Uni a couple of years back and about 6 months ago he quit smoking dope, after having done so illegally for many years in this country. Why did he quit when it was legally available to him? Because he realised he wasn't achieving any of his big entrepeneurial ideas because he was too staoned to act on them. You can easily break your own addictive cycels if you're treated like an adult by the society you live in. smoking dope and drinking booze are both things that can be done responsibly and in moderation but are terrible when done in excess.

I think if it's legalised it can be more sensibly managed... and the Government should be seeing $$$ signs when thinking about the prospect. That's a hell of a lot of tax revenue potential.

Oh and another thing on the drugs subject, did you know that studies show America would save billions of dollars in the war against drugs if it spent more on rehabilitating users rather than costly military campaigns in Cuba destroying arable land. The growers simply move on and start up again while the user on the street barely notices. Stop people using and the drugs problem disappears. Supply and demand. Cut off the demand and nobody will bnother to supply any longer.

I agree 100%.

Back