Should the US Navy board this vessel by force?

Of course, boarding a vessel on the high seas is an act of war. However, NK has already threatened to shoot a missile at Hawaii, so aren't we already under threat of war?

Moreover, just what could NK do about an act of war on the part of the United States?
2500-5000 metric tons of chemical weapons ( this may or not not incluse the weapons themselves or just the agent itself) some reports suggest Sarin and VX as some of them, while others sugest its not able to do VX and other newer yet. but they have nukes, so I would think you play the odds that they have vx.

1.2 million man army, thousands of peices of artilery...most within 90 miles of border of S korea.

more then 3000 tanks

and one of the largest special forces groups in the world.

so while the US could /should win...it would not be easy, come cheap, and I would expect losses over 200,000 most likey well over....based on US SK military losses...and civilan. Thes first few days or weeks could see a loss of lives the US has not seen since Nam korea or WWII. And the public had a hard time with the 4000 we have lost in Iraq...where we still are...as well as Afganistan

also they have nukes...

so you ask what they could to.....they could do alot...and I pray ( not realy cuz I dont pray) that we never find out.

Werbung:
possible, but that also could lead to the very prospect we are trying to avoid, of a nuclear arms race in asia. China could go the reverse and back it more as it needs to push against the US Japan workings. Granted it would most likey force them to talk, but we need to make sure we dont do the very thing we want to stop. but it could be the only way.

I would take the chance at this point to try to get China on board with at least putting a new regime in place. Does not have to be pro-Western, just one that is less insane.

Of course, boarding a vessel on the high seas is an act of war. However, NK has already threatened to shoot a missile at Hawaii, so aren't we already under threat of war?

There would be a clear difference between boarding a ship and having a missile come in your direction. Unless the missile comes into US territory, it is not really an act of war.

Moreover, just what could NK do about an act of war on the part of the United States?

Depends, I doubt they invade South Korea, but they have many other options in the field of arms transfers, proliferation, destabilization of the region, provoking Japan (which sets the US on a collision course with China) etc.

Werbung:
I would take the chance at this point to try to get China on board with at least putting a new regime in place. Does not have to be pro-Western, just one that is less insane.

I dont think it would be my first choice...but I would not rule it out. I think I would almost be willing to just use force before I made any real moves to push more nukes in the area....its a worse long term problem then as bad as things could get short term I think. Or at least tread light, push but willing to back down and look bad if needed.

Back