1. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Should we love our own culture?

Discussion in 'Culture & Religion' started by Jason76, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Jason76

Jason76 Well-Known Member

http://houseofpolitics.com/threads/hillbilly-will-be-the-death-of-us-all.18820/

If we don't love our own culture, does that mean we're a wuss? :cry: However, in many cases, why should we love our own culture, or even our parents if we decide they are culturally horrible? Why does it seem everyone wants to bully people into conformity?

Should we love our own nation, even if it's shown to be evil? In that case, should we stay and try to change it, or should we follow the philosophy which says, "Love it or leave it."? :mad:

BTW: I actually love my own culture, especially bluegrass, but I still very cynical about it. No, I am not gay.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  2. dogtowner

dogtowner Moderator Staff Member

Love ? Not important but you should ack now ledge it.
    What bugs me is people pretending to vanish our past. How foolish...

Jason76 likes this.
  3. Jason76

Right, people pretend the past didn't exist. Also, many of them haven't changed. In that case, why should anyone pretend to totally like the culture simply to bow down to peer pressure, look cool, and not shake the boat?

4. Walter

Walter Administrator Staff Member

What bugs me is people refusing to learn from the past. But of course first you have to know history...

dogtowner likes this.
  5. Jason76

Often people allow emotion to overpower historical knowledge. In addtion, it just isn't cool to be sensitive or go against the crowd. In other cases, going against the status quo can cost you your job, freedom, or life. Of course, it is true though that many don't know history, only stuff here and there from biased sources.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Wiping something out of the history books doesn't mean that it never happened, and I think it's important that people know and accept the good and the bad things that's happened in their own country.

That doesn't necessarily mean that you should love your culture, but at least you should know about it, and I don't think a lot of people do. We're more ashamed these days of our history and culture more than anything.

Jason76 likes this.
  7. Jason76

In most cultures around the world being anti-racist is seen as being anti-macho. Therefore, a lot of people, especially males, are trying to be as incredibly racist, while others refuse to condemn racist behavior. Of course, you can say the same thing for homophobia.

Ultimately, to some extent, it might explain why a lot of people know history, but refuse to challenge tradition.