Sick Of This

Status
Not open for further replies.

vyo476

All right. I've had enough.

I've been getting reports about posts like mad for the last few days. I'm tired of it. So...new policy.

From now on, whenever someone says anything EVEN REMOTELY OFF-COLOR in a thread, I'm going to lock it. Whoever posted the off-color remark gets a strike. Three strikes and you're banned - unless whatever it was is particularly heinous, at which point we'll just ban you.

I think that one of the big lessons about discussing political ideology in a democratic society is that WE ALL HAVE TO LEARN TO RESPECT EACH OTHER. That's just my take on things; I guess that I don't actually care if you believe me. That said, I'll still ban your ass if you don't at least try to act civil to other posters.

Werbung:
I concur with your decision to stop off-colour posts but we need to know what you mean by off-colour. Are attacks against religion off-colour? Are attacks against the US off-colour? Are attacks against Canada off-colour? What is off-colour?

IMO there's little doubt that this forum has gone to the dogs in the last little while but is this the time to stop it? I would be very pleased if we all returned to a more respectable kind of posting.

And first we need some answers on this off-colour surprise.

Oh, and VY, when you talk about banning a person does it have to be 'ban your ass' or could we start right now with the respect thing? I know I've given a few people a good licking on this forum but that's no reason to start talking about my ass!

So how do you want to play this thing? You want to explain yourself on this off-colour thing?

I concur with your decision to stop off-colour posts but we need to know what you mean by off-colour. Are attacks against religion off-colour? Are attacks against the US off-colour? Are attacks against Canada off-colour? What is off-colour?

IMO there's little doubt that this forum has gone to the dogs in the last little while but is this the time to stop it? I would be very pleased if we all returned to a more respectable kind of posting.

And first we need some answers on this off-colour surprise.

Just don't say anything that you know will be offensive to other posters. Don't deliberately provoke others and if they provoke you and I don't get to it for a little while, don't just fight back, report it, and IGNORE IT while waiting for one of us to deal with it. This used to be a civilized political forum; 9sublime and USMC_the_Almighty, one of our former moderators, spent a long time fighting to keep it that way. God, he'd be mortified to see the state it's in now.

I will endeavor to hold all to the same standards.

vyo476, To be honest with you, I had always been taught that "off color" meant profanity. Maybe I missed it, but I haven't noticed anything like that.

I'd also like to remind you that for months this place was as dead as a cemetary, the mods were literally pleading for new registrations. Personally, I think many of the new members have added something to this forum that it sorely lacked....life.

Oh, and VY, when you talk about banning a person does it have to be 'ban your ass' or could we start right now with the respect thing? I know I've given a few people a good licking on this forum but that's no reason to start talking about my ass!

Anyone who gets to the point of banning has earned my disrespect. As such, I was not specifically talking about you (or anyone else still posting here).

vyo476, To be honest with you, I had always been taught that "off color" meant profanity. Maybe I missed it, but I haven't noticed anything like that.

My day job is in child care; we use the term "off-color" to classify anything inappropriate, whether it be profanity, insult, etc. I apologize for not being clear.

I'd also like to remind you that for months this place was as dead as a cemetary, the mods were literally pleading for new registrations. Personally, I think many of the new members have added something to this forum that it sorely lacked....life.

I doubt these new measures are going to thin our numbers too drastically. My prediction: most posters will be able to read this, understand it, and follow it. A few won't be able to and they'll get banned. Remember, rules aren't there primarily to be enforced, but to be followed. The rules we had weren't working, so...new rules. Most follow. A few require enforcement, which thins out a few trolls and provides all with an example that those with authority are willing to use it. Tranquility returns.

Don't worry, if we survived Roker and the invasion of the anti-semitists (not to mention the Tin-Foil Hat crowd) we'll get through this.

All right. I've had enough.

I've been getting reports about posts like mad for the last few days. I'm tired of it. So...new policy.

From now on, whenever someone says anything EVEN REMOTELY OFF-COLOR in a thread, I'm going to lock it. Whoever posted the off-color remark gets a strike. Three strikes and you're banned - unless whatever it was is particularly heinous, at which point we'll just ban you.

I think that one of the big lessons about discussing political ideology in a democratic society is that WE ALL HAVE TO LEARN TO RESPECT EACH OTHER. That's just my take on things; I guess that I don't actually care if you believe me. That said, I'll still ban your ass if you don't at least try to act civil to other posters.
FYI ... Why don;t you all just create a charter that lays down the rules for what could be consider in apporaite langangue.. We ARE talking about politics here and the fact is that thicker skin is just called for.. but direct hijacking of athread or a person who adds nothing but misdirecting commentary on such a constant that he seems to hurt forums more then help should be warned and end all banned...

I'm an adult.. and profane langugage.. well.. its just part of my vocabulary.. when used with-in discresion...

Really people.. I see college educated adults every where on this sight so far.. but we cannot even draft up a simple "Rules of engagement"
to follow that the mods can follow within their discression based on thread posts and complaints ?!?!

BTW its a tad bit difficult ,as everyone else has stated , to keep a forum clean and respectable if mods are never on to moniter forum postings and engage in discussions with everyone else.

When we can get away with whatever we want during the times they are missing.. only to have to watch our backs for the small times they are actually there seems silly.. Or even worse.. harsh revenge punishment because so much has happened during the missing times mods were not around...

Simple solution thou to keep new people like me happy thou :)

1. Create an updated sticky of Forum "Rules of engagement" that you automatically are assumed you signed by becoming a member here.
2. More Mod activity to keep people honest and showing what respect posts are supposed to be like.

As for me.. this is my first ever forum where I see what could even be constituted as a debate ... and I am honestly learning a ton and being inspiried (( and dismayed... but only from knowledge))

Re: Did Obama really have gay sex and smoked crack in a Limo?

And speaking of off-colour again. Is it off-colour to americans to say one down when a human being is assassinated for his political views.

It's off-colur in Canada, I can tell you for sure!

I agree, regarding any human life in such a manner is horrifying and insulting.

So for the record:

Profanity

deliberately provoking others

Insults

Fighting back

So far that's what I get to be off-colour and that is reasonable but it's not reasonable to come up with something out of the clear blue without stating it beforehand.

I've had a fair amount of experience on forums and it's usually pretty clear when a mod or mods decides to go after some people who are not politically aligned with his/her position. It that is the case here then it won't take too long to figure it out. If it's not the case then this could be a step in the right direction.

The Forum Rules (Three simple rules):

1. No personal attacks.
----------------------------------------
Treat others as you would wish to be treated. We ask that you be professional and polite and respect our intention to create a friendly and inclusive environment where everyone feels welcome to participate. We do not wish to censor or control your opinions, but we will ensure that the policies of the board are respected. We hope to see people conduct debates in a civilized manner.

2. No spam.
Do not put links in your signatures. Non-HouseofPolitics staff members are not allowed to have links in signatures because there have been many cases where people will join and put a link to their website in their signature and post spam throughout the forum.

3. Post to the correct forum and stay on topic.

Anyone not following the rules will be warned, suspended, or banned.

Seems kinda obvious ... however it is up for debate considering exactly how it applies in our very sneaky satire.

Werbung:
Re: Did Obama really have gay sex and smoked crack in a Limo?

I have no interest in the least of going back through a bunch of posts on a witchhunt. If you apply your new rule fairly and equitably then you won't have any problem from me. Even though what you think may be off-colour may not be what I think is off-colour.

If you think it's off-colour to say that Americans assassinate their politicains then why didn't you just say that in the beginning instead of keeping us guessing. IN fact we still don't really know do we what set you off. If you're going to preform your duties as a moderator fairly then you have to be forthcoming on these issues and it sure doesn't hurt to talk to members from time to time to make it clear what your wishes are. I have attempted on numerous ocassions to get answers from moderators on this forum and it has always turned out to be blowing smoke. Nobody ever has answered.

What the hell do you expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back