Sick Of This

Status
Not open for further replies.
Werbung:
Re: Did Obama really have gay sex and smoked crack in a Limo?

I think perhaps you're confused about something.

I'm a moderator on this forum, but I'm also a poster here. When I posted the thing about how Canada isn't immune to political assassination, I wasn't doing so to try and tell you that you were doing something wrong; I was simply responding, as a poster on this forum, to something you were saying. I wasn't trying to say that you were violating the rules, I was just participating in the discussion. Perhaps I should create a separate account so that people can better see when I've got my "poster" hat on rather than my "moderator" hat.

Re: Did Obama really have gay sex and smoked crack in a Limo?

Time for a new thread you two :D

Fair enough.

EDIT: I moved several posts from "Did Obama really have gay sex and smoked crack in a Limo?" here, since these posts pertained to this subject and not the subject of that thread.

VYO476 - is the report icon (the triangle with exclamation mark) the way to report offending posts? Do such messages go to you?

VYO476 - is the report icon (the triangle with exclamation mark) the way to report offending posts? Do such messages go to you?

Yes, that is how to report posts. And yes, the mods are made aware of reported posts. It basically creates a thread in the staff only section.

As a personal note in this whole thread, I will add a few things.

Firstly, and ultimately, this site belongs to its users. Of which all of the moderators here started. There are three of us, who all have our own lives, and have been around this site a long time, do not get paid or recieve any sort of reward for doing so other than caring about this site. Who through our time here has taken upon a wide variety of posters and various characters in waves. The site has grown and the debate increased which is ultimately what the whole purpose of this place and I am glad to be apart of.

Specifically in the last few weeks there has been a growing tension on the site that has crossed the line where the moderators are forced to step in and give infractions. Which I will testify to the fact I hate doing it. Then in response, often the case is that those given infractions are then somehow compelled to report any other marginally questionable posts. Which increase our workload as moderators and create less time for us to be regular posters. Which is what the mods here ultimately are and want to be; the folks who get rid of the spammers and most aggregious violations. I frankly dont have the time or desire to deal with childish petty issues because someone had thier feelings hurt or feel the need to make issue with another user for whatever reason(s).

So, the staff here need to get together and change things around a bit in terms of having a readily available list of expectations when posting here.
We will do that, and would be open to reasonable suggestions from members concerning those policies.

In the meantime, do everyone a favor and just be polite with those you debate. Taking the higher ground is always preferable to engaging in name calling or baiting activities etc. In the meantime, please avoid any interactions that are personal attacks especially those with curse words.
Also, blanket statements that are directed towards individual members are frowned upon and will result in moderated activitity which could get people banned. Which in my opinion is the last resort and I dont want to do.

Thanks for reading. Be respectful of those you debate, because ultimately it serves the purpose one posts here, to debate, and it also gives more credibility to ones argument when the quality of the post is appropriate.

-Bunz:cool:

Off Color as defined by Babylon. ;)

off color
not feeling well, pale, sickly

Wikipedia English - The Free Encyclopedia Browse

Off-color humor
The term off-color humor (also known as dirty jokes or blue humor) is an Americanism used to describe various jokes, prose, poems, black comedy and skits that deal with topics that are considered to be in poor taste or overly vulgar by the prevailing morals in a culture. Most commonly labelled as "off-color" are acts concerned with sex, a particular ethnic group, or gender. Other off-color topics include: violence, particularly domestic abuse; excessive swearing; "toilet humor"; national superiority or inferiority, dead baby jokes, pedophilic content, and any other topics generally considered impolite or indecent. Generally, the point of off-color humor is to induce laughter by evoking a feeling of shock and surprise in the comedian's audience. In this way, "blue" humor is related to other forms of postmodern humor, such as the anti-joke.

See more at Wikipedia.org...

WordNet 2.0

off-color

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adjective
1. in violation of good taste even verging on the indecent; "an indelicate remark"; "an off-color joke"
(synonym) indelicate, off-colour
(similar) tasteless, in poor taste(p)
2. humorously vulgar; "bawdy songs"; "off-color jokes"; "ribald language"
(synonym) bawdy, ribald
(similar) dirty

ENGLISH IDIOMS 2.EDITION

off-color
in bad taste, rude, dirty He told an off-color joke at the party that made his wife very angry.

Merriam-Webster Collegiate® Dictionary
off-col·or
Pronunciation: 'ȯf-'kə-lər
Variant: or off-col·ored \-lərd\
Function: adjective
Date: 1854

1 a : not having the right or standard color b : being out of sorts
2 a : of doubtful propriety :

Seems we might consider the fact that a forum like this is international with many languages factoring in. What is "off color" in Russia and what is "off Color" in Sweden...... might be quite different. In general it seems to mean: "dirty", obscence, risque, offensive, (even in humor) But it is NOT criticism ( usually very valid) of political decisions or anything else for that matter. Criticism is just THAT.

(IMHO)

Re: ROC. Agree with others, they should be posted on the face page ...for easy reference and access.

to the site managers, on a personal level.....I would love to see more emoticons. Many times , they speak louder than words. Thanks .

Relatively new here , and so far it seems like a good forum with varied ideas from many countries. Have been looking for something international that is NOT US dominated. & this could well be it.:)

It seems like just common sense to me what the rules are.

The following are things that probably should not be done.

Telling people to shut up
Implying sexual or lude acts
Basically rude insults
Pushing people to the limit, just for the fun of it.

I have only been here since this year, so I don’t know what the admin meant about surviving anti Semites and the like, but I know when I first got here it was great. LOTS and Lots of disagreements but all done fairly respectfully, then one person came and it got really bad really fast but he didn’t stay long and things went back to normal just as fast, then it happened again recently. We seem to be on a peaceful stream again, though we still all disagree completely, it’s done "fairly" respectfully. Just common sense, treat people on the boards as you would want to be treated and how you would treat them if you were talking to them face to face.

I have not done a whole lot of traveling except to Mexico and Canada, but I would wager every one in every civilized country knows what it means to be respectful of others, no matter what their culture is.

Basically rude insults

I have only been here since this year, so I don’t know what the admin meant about surviving anti Semites and the like, but I know when I first got here it was great. LOTS and Lots of disagreements but all done fairly respectfully, then one person came and it got really bad really fast but he didn’t stay long and things went back to normal just as fast, then it happened again recently. We seem to be on a peaceful stream again, though we still all disagree completely, it’s done "fairly" respectfully. Just common sense, treat people on the boards as you would want to be treated and how you would treat them if you were talking to them face to face.

I have not done a whole lot of traveling except to Mexico and Canada, but I would wager every one in every civilized country knows what it means to be respectful of others, no matter what their culture is.

impying lude or sexual acts? wait does that mean I need to change my location? :):)

and yes I think some fail to notice how much work it can be to be a mod, I had evrything you can think of flame wars, fake posters, posters under 2nd 3rd wrth names...even a poster we where told died....who came back from the dead months later ( so I had to find out if he never died or someone got his account name somehow..ext....it was a Political board soap Opra..) I had to make new polls , review submited news ( we had our own new section ) and other stuff. it could take up alot of time some days....

so thanks

I have a question for mods? Do you only read posts and give warnings if someone snitches the post off, or do you also go and read the posts on a regular basis and when you see one that is a violation give warnings because it was wrong rather than because someone told?

And do you ever use judgment on why someone might say what they do? If someone calls another person a moron then two posts later that person replies that your mentally twisted and the first guy turns you in for saying mentally twisted yet he said something equally wrong to start with. Do you ever check out how a topic escalated or do you just judge the post reported?

I have had so many crude, rude and lude and disgusting things said to me in posts, and every time by people who will "turn you in" if you try to defend yourself or just get so mad you snap BACK at them.

But I have never "turned them in" I always assumed mods read the posts regularly and acted accordingly. Am I mistaken?

Basically rude insults
That is a good representation. The thing about it, is that until now, only a little has been spoken about specific policies concerning this. We simply havent needed it. Obviously the growing pains of an increasing and varied membership are being experienced. The staff will be addressing it. In the meantime, continue as normal. Little will change in terms of the average poster here who would otherwise follow the rules.

I have only been here since this year, so I don’t know what the admin meant about surviving anti Semites and the like
Well its obviously over now, but there was a time in late 2007 when there was an influx of racially/religious based hate mongers that bombarded the site with quite a bit of nastiness. To be honest, I wasnt a Mod at the time, but it wasnt nearly as bad as it is now.
but I know when I first got here it was great. LOTS and Lots of disagreements but all done fairly respectfully, then one person came and it got really bad really fast but he didn’t stay long and things went back to normal just as fast, then it happened again recently. We seem to be on a peaceful stream again, though we still all disagree completely, it’s done "fairly" respectfully. Just common sense, treat people on the boards as you would want to be treated and how you would treat them if you were talking to them face to face.
Sums it up fairly well. Everyone once in awhile we have something that is written that the person writing it thinks they can get away with it.
But in fact have just enough brains and not enough "balls" to say it to thier faces. That is how I generally post. I wouldnt write anything here I would say to thier faces.
I have been to 41 states, 8 provinces, Mexico, Figi, Singapore, Australia, NZ, and been to the airport in Taipei and know, that in general people interact among themselves respectfully. But it is the one in a hundred that likes to raise a stink. The JackA$$ in traffic, and the idiot at the TSA security line are perfect examples. This is what we have here.

Werbung:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back