Single payer... some solution

Werbung:
http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article151960182.html

Just for california it would cost more than the current state budget.
Affordable healthcare ? Nope.

Just out of curiosity, do you know of a year out of the past 30 years that healthcare premiums did NOT increase? Even the Republican plan, Medicare Part D, is increasing to a point where many retirees cannot afford it. Don't hear about that do we? In fact, Medicare Part D is required to increase their rates by 20% every year.

In any event, you did not read the article, or were incapable of comprehending it, as usual:

The idea behind Senate Bill 562 is to overhaul California’s insurance marketplace, reduce overall health care costs and expand coverage to everyone in the state regardless of immigration status or ability to pay. Instead of private insurers, state government would be the “single payer” for everyone’s health care through a new payroll taxing structure, similar to the way Medicare operates.

Lara and Atkins say they are driven by the belief that health care is a human right and should be guaranteed to everyone, similar to public services like safe roads and clean drinking water. They seek to rein in rising health care costs by lowering administrative expenses, reducing expensive emergency room visits, and eliminating insurance company profits and executive salaries.

In addition to covering undocumented people, Lara said the goal is to expand health access to people who, even with insurance, may skip doctor visits or stretch out medications due to high copays and deductibles."

Strange is it not that poorer countries can afford single payer, but the greed of the American prevents it from being possible.

Roughly, what would the average family of 4 pay per month for dental/medical care in the States?
I know that employers (can?/do?) provide dental/health care but does the employer contribute all or part of the overall amount?
If the employer provided healthcare is it taxable?

Strange is it not that poorer countries can afford single payer, but the greed of the American prevents it from being possible.
Is that because of a question of cost or just political will? I guess being a Brit born and raised with the NHS it seems odd that a seemingly wealthy country as America has massive issues with (to me) a basic neccessity?

Last edited:
Roughly, what would the average family of 4 pay per month for dental/medical care in the States?
I know that employers (can?/do?) provide dental/health care but does the employer contribute all or part of the overall amount?

Is that because of a question of cost or just political will? I guess being a Brit born and raised with the NHS it seems odd that a seemingly wealthy country as America has massive issues with (to me) a basic neccessity?
There is no averge nationwide as the individual states regulate which coverages form a base level coverage. For example Wisconsin was about 4000 while NY was 12500.
Some employers do others do not. And those that do offer may pick up 0% up to 100%. My employer picks up roughly 70% which is relatively high.
It can be taxable if considered "Cadillac" coverage but typically not. It can in some cases be part of a tax deduction if it's a sufficiently large enough % of your income.
Before the post WWII boom insurance was rare and only changed when the government put restrictions on pay which made companies look for other means of compensation.
It's not a huge problem apart from spiraling costs which are a direct result of gov't healthcare. The spiral can be traced to the advent of Medicare and medicaid.
Government is the problem not the answer.

For example Wisconsin was about 4000 while NY was 12500
Thats quite a range - is $12,500 typical or top of the scale?

In terms of Medicare/Medicaid - is that available to everyone? Is it dependent on being employed or earning less than a specific amount?
Is it statewide or only available in some states - I guess what I'm babbling about is... is there a minimum level of medical coverage avaliable to a US citizen?

1 Roughly, what would the average family of 4 pay per month for dental/medical care in the States?
2 I know that employers (can?/do?) provide dental/health care but does the employer contribute all or part of the overall amount?

3 Is that because of a question of cost or just political will? I guess being a Brit born and raised with the NHS it seems odd that a seemingly wealthy country as America has massive issues with (to me) a basic neccessity?

1. Roughly double what you and your countrymen pay in taxes for NHS.
2. Some employers pay for health insurance for their employees, others don't.
for those who do, insurance is a major expense that cuts salaries and profitability.
3. Political will and the powerful insurance lobby.

It's like this:

18425144_1496542127036742_4976454915104993545_n.png

In terms of Medicare/Medicaid - is that available to everyone? Is it dependent on being employed or earning less than a specific amount?
Is it statewide or only available in some states - I guess what I'm babbling about is... is there a minimum level of medical coverage avaliable to a US citizen?

Medicaid is for the poor. It pays enough for them to be able to go to those few providers willing to accept what it pays. Medicaid sucks.

Medicare is for citizens over 65. It works very well if you live long enough to qualify for it.

There is no minimum level of medical coverage. If you work, but don't earn enough to be abe to afford private insurance, then there's the ACA, which the current administration is determined to repeal.

Our medical care system is great, if you work for the right employer or if you have a lot of money.

It pays enough for them to be able to go to those few providers willing to accept what it pays. Medicaid sucks.
Sounds like it does.
In terms or primary care, going to a GP for example is medicare acceptable to all GPs or as you say only if they accept the scheme?
What about getting meds/pills is that also covered by medicare or do you have to pay out of your own pocket?

Yes quite a range they are basic ally high and low for a no frills family of four policy.
Medicare is required of all working people except federal workers, they have a seperate thing. Medicaid is available nationwide but you have to qualify for it on income, disability or age.
Yes there is and was a minimum level of care available to anyone regardless of citizenship and has been so long before obamacare. It was viewed as indigent care.
Wouldn't get you a boob job but if you were sick you would receive care.

Sounds like it does.
In terms or primary care, going to a GP for example is medicare acceptable to all GPs or as you say only if they accept the scheme?
What about getting meds/pills is that also covered by medicare or do you have to pay out of your own pocket?
Most docs accept medicare but both they and the gov't limit the number of patients they have.
Rx are included. There is some degree of out of pocket involved. There is optional private coverage you can buy to cover this if it impacts you.
Medicaid is accepted primarily by the same docs as everything else. Considering it is virtually free to v the member, suck is a strong term.

Sounds like it does.
Most providers accept Medicare.
There is a complicated formula in Medicare Part D that covers prescriptions. It starts out paying most of the cost up to a certain amount, then there is the "doughnut hole" in which the patient pays for his own meds, which can be quite costly given our inefficient system.
After you get past the "doughnut hole," Medicare once again pays the lions share of the cost of meds.

For ordinary medications, Medicare pays for all but a small copay. For things like chemo therapy, the patient may have to pay several thousand dollars per year.

Most docs accept medicare but both they and the gov't limit the number of patients they have.
How does that work is it a simple financial cap per doctor or is it based on the number of patients that a GP can see under the scheme.

It's not quite the same but in UK doctors can be limited to the number of patients registered with any one Doctor or surgery, so if you move to a new area you may have difficulty registering at the nearest one - rare but can happen.

So how/where does ACA come into play?

Oh and by the way, if I'm being a pinhead just nod and I'll shut up but I'm just trying to get my head round all this so thanks for your kind replies!
It's OK. The US health care system is difficult for Americans to understand. It must be mind boggling for Europeans.

The ACA requires employers with more than 30 employees to provide health insurance to its employees. It requires the insurance company to cover people with "pre existing" conditions, i.e., people with diabetes and heart conditions can still get health care. It allows parents to keep their children on family health care to age 26, instead of 18. Not a lot of 18, or even 26 year olds have jobs that provide health insurance. It requires everyone to have health insurance or pay a tax to defray emergency room care that has to be provided regardless of ability to pay. It also sets up state "exchanges" where people can buy into group insurance even if they're self employed or un employed. It makes it possible for people on welfare and Medicaid to get a job without losing their health care.

It's not single payer government insurance as so many seem to believe. It's what was politically possible to pass despite the insurance lobby. It also does nothing to control costs, which were out of control before the bill was passed.

Werbung:
How does that work is it a simple financial cap per doctor or is it based on the number of patients that a GP can see under the scheme.

It's not quite the same but in UK doctors can be limited to the number of patients registered with any one Doctor or surgery, so if you move to a new area you may have difficulty registering at the nearest one - rare but can happen.
Docs are limited by their choice as well as gov't max. From the gov't perspective you don't want too many for fear they can't accommodate the volume.
So yes, if you move you are not guaranteed to see the closest as the crow flies. Same applis to any insurance. Docs are free to self cap and most do.

Back