Slaughtering wolves from planes

Nope. If I don't consider it a sport I have no reason to try it. The hunter still has the distinct advantage from the air, and from the clips I've seen, the wolves are pretty much out in the open, leaving the wolves at a huge disadvantage, having been chased there by the plane. The only person on that type of hunt who I would consider a sportsman would be the pilot because he's herding wolves. I still consider it shooting ducks in a barrel.

You say that you're a hunter, which intimates that you have some familiarity with weapons and ballistics, so tell me, exactly how much lead would you need to use if you are in an aircraft, at 200 ft, moving at 90 mph, and shooting at a target that is 100 yards away, moving at 20 mph, with a full value cross wind of 10 mph? You're using a 30'06 with 150 gn. Winchester Silver Tips, mv 2900 fps. Now remember, you're moving at 90 mph, which means that from the time you spot the animal, you're only going to have about 5-6 seconds to calculate all that information, acquire your target, bring your weapon to your shoulder, get it in your sights, and squeeze off your shot.[/QUOTE]

Werbung:
Here's a question for you Bunz; is it that she takes on the latest popular cause, or is it that her own causes are becoming popular?

From what I've gleaned from reviewing as much of her record as possible, I've seen nowhere that she's "flip-flopped" on her own personal beliefs in order to appease the people of either Wasilla or Alaska. There is something to be said for a Governor listening to their constituants, provided it's within the law, but as I said, from what I've seen, read, and heard, I've been given no indication of any duplicitous activities on her part.

The former. She has at every turn taken up poppular causes of the moment and often flipped on them. I am actually putting together info for another thread on just this issue. Ill save it for then. But you will see. :cool:

The former. She has at every turn taken up poppular causes of the moment and often flipped on them. I am actually putting together info for another thread on just this issue. Ill save it for then. But you will see. :cool:

I'd be very interested in seeing that list Bunz. I've seen similar lists before where certain politicians were accused of "flip-flopping" on issues when the reality was that they initially supported or opposed something until they discoverd new information on whatever it was that negated their earlier position.

As it relates to Palin, the bridge is a primary example. She supported the bridge project UNTIL she got into office and discovered that Murkowski had already either allocated or spent the money on other projects, which prevented her from being able to continue with it.

For the record, I would imagine I had the position first. So in actuality, it is you who agrees with me. :D:cool:

It's entirely possible I suppose. Having grown up on a farm, and having raised cattle, I'm quite familiar with predator control, and the "unpopularity" of it to those who don't have the first clue what they're talking about. As far as dealing with predator control in general, without knowing your age I can't say who supported it first, as far as dealing with it in Alaska, I will acknowledge that you probably had an edge on me.;)

For the record, I would imagine I had the position first. So in actuality, it is you who agrees with me. :D:cool:

So Bunz I have been spending time in rooms in a chat forum about Sarah Palin. The mod of the room has a really cute nick Sarah Palin is the antichrist. As you can see by her name she doesn’t like Sarah Palin. None of the 20 or so people in the room liked her at all.

Is it true that Sarah Palin is forcing her daughter to keep this baby that the daughter really wants to kill? But Sarah is making her keep it. And the boyfriend really wants that baby to die and really doesn’t want to marry Sarah Palin’s daughter but Sarah Palin the brute wench from hell is forcing this to happen?

I was not so moved when they called her blood thirsty, or a whore or the b word, It didn’t effect me much when they said she takes much pleasure in killing small animals then throwing the carcass away because she doesn’t like to eat them she just really enjoys the kill.

but when they said they have proof that the daughter wants to kill the baby and so does the daughters boyfriend and Sarah Palin, this really sick horrible woman is forcing them to let the baby live and forcing them to get married all for her political power. I admit that bothered me. Can you add that to your list of Sarah Palin dirt so I can get it right from an Alaskan?

So Bunz I have been spending time in rooms in a chat forum about Sarah Palin. The mod of the room has a really cute nick Sarah Palin is the antichrist. As you can see by her name she doesn’t like Sarah Palin. None of the 20 or so people in the room liked her at all.

'NO O', shoot me a PM with the URL, maybe I can "stir things up" a bit.:D

You say that you're a hunter, which intimates that you have some familiarity with weapons and ballistics

A few weapons yes, ballistics, not so much. I've only used a single shot 12 gauge and a 30-30 Winchester I use for deer hunting.

exactly how much lead would you need to use if you are in an aircraft, at 200 ft, moving at 90 mph, and shooting at a target that is 100 yards away, moving at 20 mph, with a full value cross wind of 10 mph? You're using a 30'06 with 150 gn. Winchester Silver Tips, mv 2900 fps.

I've never fired a 30-06 because I don't see the need for one. I do just fine with my rifle and it's easy to carry. If all the above info is going through your mind before you take a shot it sounds like you are over analyzing the situation to me. A 100 yd. shot under the worst of conditions isn't really difficult, at least the ones I've taken with an open sight.

Now remember, you're moving at 90 mph
A wolf can run 35-40 mph for short period of times so it's not a 90 mph shot.

from the time you spot the animal, you're only going to have about 5-6 seconds to calculate all that information, acquire your target, bring your weapon to your shoulder, get it in your sights, and squeeze off your shot

5-6 seconds is a long time for sighting a target. IMO. Granted you are on a moving platform but your target is going in the same direction as you are, and you're using a high powered rifle at 100 yds, which means you don't need a precision hit. Anywhere you hit it there is a pretty good chance it's dead.

A few weapons yes, ballistics, not so much. I've only used a single shot 12 gauge and a 30-30 Winchester I use for deer hunting.

So it sounds like you're more accustomed to close in work, probably in fairly dense woods and vegitation.

I've never fired a 30-06 because I don't see the need for one.

Actually, the 30'06 is the most versatile cartridge in the world. You can get everything from 110 gn 'plinkers' (for small game like rabbits) all the way up to 200 gn. round nose for 'brush cutting' on caribou and bears.

I do just fine with my rifle and it's easy to carry.

I'm sure you do, and I'm sure it is.

If all the above info is going through your mind before you take a shot it sounds like you are over analyzing the situation to me. A 100 yd. shot under the worst of conditions isn't really difficult, at least the ones I've taken with an open sight.

To you it may seem that way, but I was trained as a Sniper by the military, that was my profession for most of my time in the military, and those are just a few of the calculations that go through my mind EVERY time I pull the trigger on a rifle. I also account for temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, direction of the sun, and windage everywhere from the muzzle of my weapon all the way to the target, and that has been up to over 1 mile away (in competition shooting), which is why I can still routinely put 5 rounds inside a 1" paster at 300 yards (with none touching the edges), and 5 rounds in a 6" grouping at 1000 yards.

A wolf can run 35-40 mph for short period of times so it's not a 90 mph shot.

Actually, depending on which way the wolf is moving in relationship to the aircraft, it can be MORE than 90 mph. If you're moving one direction at 90 mph, and he's going the opposite direction at 20 mph (a comfortable loap), the closing speed would be 115 mph. If he's running in the same direction, it would be a closing speed of 70 mph.

5-6 seconds is a long time for sighting a target. IMO.

I didn't say you had 5-6 seconds to sight your target, I said that you had "5-6 seconds to calculate all that information, acquire your target, bring your weapon to your shoulder, get it in your sights, and squeeze off your shot." That means that, if you're good, you've really only got about 2-3 seconds to get him in your sights and squeeze off the shot, after you've seen him and brought your weapon to your shoulder.

Granted you are on a moving platform but your target is going in the same direction as you are, and you're using a high powered rifle at 100 yds, which means you don't need a precision hit. Anywhere you hit it there is a pretty good chance it's dead.

I didn't say you were shooting at 100 yards, I said that you were at 200 feet and your target is 100 yards away. What that means is that you're really shooting at a moving target at 120 yards, at a downward angle of 34 degrees, with a closing speed of 103 fps (70 mph), which means that you've got to lead him by almost 26 FEET to even hit him at all, and that's not counting the fact that you've got to allow for a good 6 inches above him to account for shooting at such a steep downward angle, and ALL of that is assuming that the aircraft isn't bouncing around too much from ground turbulance. Using your 30-30 for that shot, you'd have to lead him by more than 35 feet, and you'd have to hold over by almost 10 inches to hit him at all.

Now, all of that to say this; it's one thing to go out into the woods on a cool, crisp fall day, climb up in your deer stand, and wait for Bambi to stroll by where you can put one in him from 30 FEET, so you'll have something to hang on the wall, and bragging rights with your buddies at the bar, but it's an entirely different subject when you're talking about precision shooting, and that's exactly what this is. The State of Alaska isn't going down to the local watering hole, and grabbing just any a-hole with a rifle to go shoot wolves, the men who do this are professional marksmen who do this for a living.

If you want to try a little experiment to see exactly how difficult this really is, on a REALLY windy day, go to the range and try to shoot some skeet...with your rifle, and see how many birds you can hit. When you get to the point where you can hit 20 out of 25, then you'll begin to understand the physics of what's going on with precision shooting.

More pro-lifers glorying in the killing of animals for pleasure.

Is it just me that is disgusted by this?

Not at all, mainly because no pro-lifers are killing anything for pleasure, it's called predator control.

No, what's disgusting is you pro-choicers killing over 1 million and a quarter HUMAN BEINGS, every year, in America alone, for pleasure.

Not at all, mainly because no pro-lifers are killing anything for pleasure, it's called predator control.

No, what's disgusting is you pro-choicers killing over 1 million and a quarter HUMAN BEINGS, every year, in America alone, for pleasure.

Perhaps its the live sacrifice to the new God,

I have long thought of liberalism a religion and abortion the sacred sacrifice. But I always thought of their judges as their gods. I got that part wrong they were just the priests and Obama is the messiah they are hoping will transform to god on the sacred day of double voting :)

Werbung:
Federal Farmer

You are supposed to be ignoring me.

You are pro-life but...

You are pro-death penalty which = the death of innocent people
You are pro-war which = the death of innocent people
You are pro-hunting which = the death of innocent animals

And your justification is that some people are in favour of abortion.

This displays the kind of reasoning you would see between 5 year olds.

If they had had no education

Back