small investing.

palefrost

Lets say you only have a few hundred a year to invest. What is the best approach to make the money out of that money?

Werbung:
Only a few hundred bucks huh?

I would either do one of two things. I would open a ING Direct(www.ingdirect.com) savings account(I am not being paid) or start investing in mutual funds.

Since your capital is so low I would not advise investing in stocks and the transaction costs of buy bonds would outweigh any benefits.

How would an ING account or mutual fund compare to a CD from my local bank?

What would be the advantages or disadvantages of each.....

How would an ING account or mutual fund compare to a CD from my local bank?

What would be the advantages or disadvantages of each.....

ING Direct most likely will give you a better interest rate. (it's in the high 4% area now). You also don't have to lock up your money for 6 months,1 year, 5 years, etc... like CD's force you to. You can transfer money in and out at your leisure.

Mutual funds depending on the type can give you a superior return compared to a savings account at your local back. You might lose money though.

A few hundred bucks in not a large enough stake to commit to trading. You dont have enough to weather the "market noise" (minor flucuations).

I'm basically letting my savings grow and putting a little bit into a couple of local stocks that have a good track record.

Although that roulette thing sounds attractive, too. :)

Why would you want a savings account? Might as well just open a conservative money market fund and try to get the best returns with a highly liquid, somewhat safe investment vehicle. I'm going to invest in USAA's money market fund rather than save in a savings account for a 3-6 month's living expense emergency fund when I have the cash to pay for the initial investment. Already have a handful of shares of USAIX, their income fund just to motivate as well as force myself to save some money and keep it there.

Sorry, palefrost, I can't answer your question. It's not an easy one, if it were, everyone would be doing it. I'm no expert in investing by any means. A few hundred is not much at all, but you'd personally have to assess the risks you're willing to take with your money. You could go with a super aggressive mutual fund if you want to make some cash but be prepared to lose it.

Why would you want a savings account? Might as well just open a conservative money market fund and try to get the best returns with a highly liquid, somewhat safe investment vehicle.

ING Direct's Orange Saving Account is a money market account. The current yield is 4.40% (09/14/2006), which beats a lot of money market accounts.

Werbung:
I would think i would use ING to help build up savings then once had enough start investing in stocks or mutual funds OR open up a ROTH IRA if your earnings are in the qualify range (keep in mind this locks up your money till retirement, except you can withdrawl the principal just not the interest without penalty)

Back