So you guys...what book are you reading at the moment?

The Scotsman

I'm a closet Roman military history buff....yeah nerdy I know but what the hey...

I picked up a book today on the history of the 3rd Gallica Legion called Mark Antony's Heroes by a guy called Stephen Dando-Collins

I just finished an absolute crackin book about the Vietnam war by a guy called Philip Caputo called "A Rumor of War" can thoroughly recommend it....

Werbung:
I'm kinda' lookin' over the Book of Revelation to see what happens next! :eek:

Ya think Hillary is the anti-Christ? :p

Blindness, by Jose Saramago - one of my favorite books (this is the third time I'm reading it). Sadly, they're adapting it into a movie, which I don't think is going to work at all, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

thomas pynchon, the crying of lot 49

just finished what is the what by dave eggers, absolutely amazing book about the lost boys of sudan, everyone should check it out.

I am nearly done with 1491 written by Charles Mann.

Fascinating look into the athropological and archeological evidence about life in the Americas before the European arrival.

Just finished (re)reading a source of my screen name here before it goes in the mail to my brother in Afghanistan: Robert Salvatore's Dark Elf Trilogy (three books: Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn).

Just finished (re)reading a source of my screen name here before it goes in the mail to my brother in Afghanistan: Robert Salvatore's Dark Elf Trilogy (three books: Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn).

If he's serving in the military, those books will keep him safe from harm.
Just finished "A Game As Old As Empire," which is a quasi-sequel to "Confessions Of An Economic Hit-Man." If you ever want to know how people like Osama bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, and a billion other petty tyrants rose to power, these books should be a part of your primer.
They didn't do it alone; they had a whole lot of help from their friends in the banking/military/industrial/political world....
Sallie

Muqtada: Muqtada Al-Sadr, the Shia Revival, and the Struggle for Iraq by Patrick Cockburn

Its a great read, and really should be read by anyone who wants to talk about Iraq Policy, because Sadr is someone who honestly can change how Iraq is going one way or the other. Its also a great read for the History of the Shia Rebellions against Saddam and his Family who have played key roles in Iraq for some time now before they where killed by Saddam.

Muqtada: Muqtada Al-Sadr, the Shia Revival, and the Struggle for Iraq by Patrick Cockburn

Its a great read, and really should be read by anyone who wants to talk about Iraq Policy, because Sadr is someone who honestly can change how Iraq is going one way or the other. Its also a great read for the History of the Shia Rebellions against Saddam and his Family who have played key roles in Iraq for some time now before they where killed by Saddam.

I have heard this is an interesting book. I might have to check it out. The next book in my hopper is "Fiasco" I forget the author off the top of my head, but it is about the military and political issues about Americans in Iraq.

In your book, does it mention an oil revenue sharing system based on the Alaska Permanent Fund?

I have heard this is an interesting book. I might have to check it out. The next book in my hopper is "Fiasco" I forget the author off the top of my head, but it is about the military and political issues about Americans in Iraq.

In your book, does it mention an oil revenue sharing system based on the Alaska Permanent Fund?

Not yet at least, its more focused on the inner workings of the Shia groups in Iraq and there interaction, and the forming of Sadr's army, how he got power, and how he has used it. Like as much as Sadr Respects grand ayatollah Sistani, there is also some anger and mistrust at how he lived in Iran while the Shia Died in the Streets to take out Saddam and where butchered in response. And the divided of Sadr's involvement in Politics, where Sustain is more traditional Shia in that he says Politics taints the Religion and stays out of it as much as possible. ( the Shia Political rising in Iran in the late 1970's is actually a very rare thing in Shia History, most have held to the Sistani view)

For even more background, the book "The Shia Revival" is a great book as well I would tell anyone to read, it looks at Iraq, but More the bigger Middle East Conflict of Sauds vs Iran for power and the Sunni Shia Split starting from the Split of the 2 groups.

the lack of even basic knowledge of Islam from those who talk about what US Policy in the Middle East and Iraq should be shows me just why we always end up Fing up everything we do over there.

Werbung:
At the moment, I'm mainly reading Rise of the Nazis by William Shirer, about half way through it. Very interesting, but it doesn't focus on all the causations, just what happened to the Nazis, and what they did, really.

Back