Solution to the oil problem

The same way I was doing it back in the '70s, and the same way lots of people are doing it today, it's called going "off the grid". The solar panels and wind turbines provide energy to the home itself, as well as to your battery back-up system, that's how you can be totally off the grid and still have electricity at night! With enough batteries, you can actually go for days on them when there's no sunshine. LINK ANOTHER LINK

If you really want to make your system pay for itself, stay "on the grid" and have it set up where your excess energy, after your batteries are fully charged, goes back INTO the grid, and your local power company will actually pay you for the energy you're providing. If you have a really cloudy winter, and can't recharge your batteries, you can still draw from the grid, and pay for it just like everyone else. The advantage to staying "on the grid" is that if it's just a really cloudy, nasty winter, you can stay on the grid and keep your batteries charged with no problems even if the wind isn't blowing, AND, if the power does go out (trees falling across lines, ice and snow bring them down, etc.), with your battery back-up, and judicial use of it, you can keep your home going, running just the basics, until the electrical company gets their lines repaired, and you won't have to go to an emergency shelter, or freeze to death, or have to resort to using a generator (although I do recommend one 'just in case', as well as emergency kerosene heaters).

The question was in the context of national utilities. If you want to go off the grid, feel free. I priced it out, and you'll never break even.

As for the second guy, on-the-grid, this touches a couple of issues. First, let separate the battery back up, from the topic at hand since you can purchase one without any solar panel setup, and it works just as well with or without.

First issue: Tax credit. Ok, so if a rich person can afford a $20K solar setup, he should be rewarded with lower taxes than a poor person who can't? Since when? Do we believe all men are created equal? Or is the special privileged class given tax credits simply because they can afford stuff the rest of us can't? How about this... we are all equal. Therefore, if you pay a tax, I should pay tax. If you don't, I shouldn't. No one should be given a tax credit or cut simply because they have more money to spend. It's immoral, it's unconstitutional, it's flat out wrong, and I'm against it.

Second issue: Electrical rebate. The rebate is a government enforced scam. It's wrong and shouldn't exist. Look at the rebate. $4.50 per watt hour? You know how much 1,000 watts cost? $0.09. So the power company is paying them (by force of government) $4,500 dollars per kilowatt hour. Where do you think the power company is coming up with that money from? THE CONSUMER! The rest of the public. We're paying this guys rebate, not only from our taxes, but also from our electric bill every month! The reason electricity costs across our nation is doubling is because of people like this guy right here!

He even says it himself!
It may seem like a poor investment on our part, as well as a waste of other people's money to subsidize this technology that doesn't pay for itself.
He fully admits that all of us, people like me who can't afford a solar setup, are paying for his setup!

Lastly, this guy is still wrong, he will never break even. He says he'll break even in 20 years. Wrong answer. What he fails to realize is that within 15 years, he'll need to replace all those panels, for another $18,000, and if he can't double dip the rebate, he'll be in a world of hurt.

Werbung:
We don't have to try so hard to make it hard. BigOil will try every trick in the book to make what is actually very simple, look just too damned difficult to even possibly consider. They have a ve$ted interest in doing so. Time to tell them to stick it. That's what any first year sociology or economics student would rightly conclude.

Are you an idiot? I'm just asking an open question.

A dozen people have explained this to you, and for the hundredth time, you have come back with the same lame Forest Gump like response of "bigoil" blaw blaw.

Let's say California is debating on building a solar power plant.... now, in comes "bigoil" and convinces everyone not to build a solar power plant. How does this help "bigoil"? Oh I know... because when they build the coal power plant, that helps bigoil.... how? Oh because when they build the natural gas plant it helps "bigoil".... how??? Oh because when they build the nuclear power plant it helps "bigoil"... HOW?!??! HOW???!

Are you stupid?!? How does any of this help "bigoil"! Oh yeah that's right, they are promoting nuclear power because it will scare them back to.... COAL OR GAS!!! NOT OIL!!! So are you stupid? Ignorant? Or just have your head shoved so far up your politics you can't even see the blinding obvious?

Big oil doesn't give a crap what you use to generate electrical power. They don't compete in the same market. Go back to school and learn something.

How to get hydrogen power from the sun...Mr. Schwarzanegger, are you listening?

Yeah, enough to power a compressor to provide baubles for fish. Not only that, but a horribly expensive impractical way to provide baubles for fish. If the governator is listening, hopefully he wise enough to ignore it.

The question was in the context of national utilities. If you want to go off the grid, feel free. I priced it out, and you'll never break even.

For some people, it's not an option. I have a friend of 25 years who lives in west Texas. Out there being "on the grid" at all simply isn't an option as between the power company and the electrical contractors, they wanted to charge him $50,000 to run power to his home! In my case, I had a place WAAAYYYY up in the mountains, and again, it would have been prohibitively expensive to have electricity run up there, so solar and wind were the ONLY alternatives.

Also, your point about never being able to break even, I'd be very interested in seeing your data, as I too have run the numbers, and when I build my new house starting next spring I'm going solar and wind (on the grid though, so I can sell my excess to the local power company).

As for the second guy, on-the-grid, this touches a couple of issues. First, let separate the battery back up, from the topic at hand since you can purchase one without any solar panel setup, and it works just as well with or without.

Separating the battery back-up really isn't an option in either case, as the whole goal here is to be as independent of the power company as possible.

First issue: Tax credit. Ok, so if a rich person can afford a $20K solar setup, he should be rewarded with lower taxes than a poor person who can't? Since when? Do we believe all men are created equal? Or is the special privileged class given tax credits simply because they can afford stuff the rest of us can't? How about this... we are all equal. Therefore, if you pay a tax, I should pay tax. If you don't, I shouldn't. No one should be given a tax credit or cut simply because they have more money to spend. It's immoral, it's unconstitutional, it's flat out wrong, and I'm against it.

The tax incentives are there to help offset the cost of installation, and has nothing to do with the "class warfare" angle, so let's keep this real shall we? Also, there's nothing "illegal, immoral", or fattening about giving someone a tax incentive to HELP the country, which is exactly what home based power generation is. I get a tax write-off for all of my mileage, and all of the equipment I have in my business, is that somehow "immoral" since my employees don't get those incentives? Hardly, I provide a service for the country by providing employment for many people (it keeps them off of welfare, food stamps, WIC, and out of Section 8 housing), and the government is willing to provide me with an incentive for providing that service.

Secondly, installing solar does not require that you install the entire system all at once. You can install it piecemeal over time, and it is therefore reachable for anyone who owns their home, so that dog just won't hunt either.

Second issue: Electrical rebate. The rebate is a government enforced scam. It's wrong and shouldn't exist. Look at the rebate. $4.50 per watt hour? You know how much 1,000 watts cost? $0.09. So the power company is paying them (by force of government) $4,500 dollars per kilowatt hour. Where do you think the power company is coming up with that money from? THE CONSUMER! The rest of the public. We're paying this guys rebate, not only from our taxes, but also from our electric bill every month! The reason electricity costs across our nation is doubling is because of people like this guy right here!

I'm afraid you mis-read the information. It's not $3.50 per watt hour, it's $4.50 per watt of installed capacity. It's a ONE TIME grant, not a continuing payment, again, to incentives people to install solar and take some of the pressure off of their local power companies strained systems since it's far cheaper for the power company to give these grants than it is for them to build new power stations, sub-stations, and install new lines.

He even says it himself!
He fully admits that all of us, people like me who can't afford a solar setup, are paying for his setup!

Context Andy, context. Did you read the rest of it, or were you just looking for anything you could grab onto in order to object. By being "on the grid", you're SUPPLYING electricity to the grid during peak loading hours, that you are being paid a small remuneration for, which means that this is electricity that the electric company isn't having to generate, which means that they're not having to build more power generation facilities, which keeps costs down to the consumer. The fact is that by being "on the grid" he's supplying YOUR electricity and you're paying him for it, so nobody is "getting over" on anybody. As for your not being able to afford one, why not? Are you so strapped every month that you can't set something aside, or are you just poor-mouthing? Can't you qualify for a loan at the bank? If you can get and afford financing for a new car, you can get and afford financing for a solar power set up. It's just a matter of priority. If you're not interested in being independent and self sufficient, then no amount of discussion is going to change your mind, but if you ARE, then REALLY investigate it.

Lastly, this guy is still wrong, he will never break even. He says he'll break even in 20 years. Wrong answer. What he fails to realize is that within 15 years, he'll need to replace all those panels, for another $18,000, and if he can't double dip the rebate, he'll be in a world of hurt.

My own system cost me roughly the same thing (inflation adjusted), for roughly half the efficiency, and being that I was totally "off the grid", it still only took 12 years for me to "break even", and when I finally sold the place, I got a much better price for it than any comparable home in the area because there was no electric bill.

You recall I mentioned my friend in Texas? His system has been in place for about 8 years now, and between the solar and wind generation, he's over half way to paying it off in what he would have been paying the electric company every month, and he paid for the entire system out of his own pocket!

Oh, and BTW, the panels were $11,766, not $18,000, and as with all "new" technology, over time the cost will come down and the efficiency will go up so that by the time he does need to replace his panels, he won't need 16 of them, he'll probably only need 6.

Would ANYONE like to prove that "alternate energy" has any real possibility of providing any more than a small fraction of america's energy needs in the foreseeable future? Please provide documentation from a competent reliable source.

Yes, I'm aware of this. However in those locations there is a better system. Perhaps you have seen it. A tower with a water boiler at the top, with thousands of mirrors directing sun light at it. The water boils, and runs a steam generator.

I've read about that idea. If it is really more efficient than photovoltaic cells, then we'll most likely see a lot more of it, at least here. The southern desert could just about boil water without the mirrors in the summer, when power is most needed. Of course, that may not be the best option for Maine or Minnesota.

Photovoltic is actually one of the least efficient and practical ways of converting sunlight into electricity. The world leader in solar power is Israel, and they use almost no photovoltic cells at all.

I have to hand it to the Jews. They don't get caught up in political scams, they use what works.

Just as we should do.

With that said, let me make it clear that I'm all for using whatever resources are available in the area. If you have a desert, by all means. If you have geological heat vents in your area, by all means use geothermal.

But this should be done at state level, by the locals of the area. As a national policy, this is a boondoggle in the making. Ohio doesn't have any reliable sun light. Ohio doesn't have any geological heat vents. Ohio doesn't have any consistent wind (as if it would help). We have gas, coal, uranium.

Forming national policy that hinders us and rewards you, would not only be immoral, but also an economic disaster.

Absolutely. The minute the federal government gets involved, costs go up and results go down.

Yeah, but that's a huge "if", and not likely to change anytime soon. Theories about cheap photovoltaic have circulated for ages, yet they never show up. Another issue is that most research indicates that (as it stands) more electricity is used in the production of a panel, than is ever produced from the panel during it's life time. Thus we are using tons of energy to gain less back. A little known fact about photovoltaic cells is that they degrade with use, and must be replaced at regular intervals.

As the price of energy goes up, we're more and more likely to find out. If solar panels aren't viable, then they won't be used unless, of course, someone lobbies Congress successfully, and tax dollars are flushed to prop up an inefficient system.

Not true. That is a urban myth based on old out dated information. I used to think that as well, but this is because we (the U.S.) have not continued to develop nuclear technology like other nations have. The latest generation of nuclear power plants can but put into a low power, low burn mode just as easily as any other power plant type.

However, there is another reason for this myth. Nuclear power plants are by far, the cheapest most cost effective, least upkeep, power generation available. Therefore, when a power company chooses which power plant to shut down during low demand, which is it going to choose? The expensive natural gas plant? The moderate coal plant? Or the extremely cheap nuclear plant? It'll be the gas and coal first. Not because you can't switch a nuclear reactor off, but because the others are more expensive.

Nuclear reactors are shut down routinely. They if I remember right, in a four-core plant, one reactor is shut down each mouth for routine maintenance checks and safety inspections. (I'd have to double check, but that sounds right)

I hadn't heard that. Nuclear is looking better and better, and is, as you said, the cheapest way to produce energy, right after coal.

I respectfully disagree! :)

Well, get McCain elected, and hold his feet to the fire to keep his promise to encourage more drilling, and we'll find out who is right.

That is, if he can actually get the industry to drill.

As the price of energy goes up, we're more and more likely to find out. If solar panels aren't viable, then they won't be used unless, of course, someone lobbies Congress successfully, and tax dollars are flushed to prop up an inefficient system.

That's already happening. In some states, eg California, there have been tax credits for people with domestic solar systems, which never recover their cost, but the owner gets a state tax break. In effect, taxpayers in general are forced to subsidize uneconomic energy prodcution.

That's already happening. In some states, eg California, there have been tax credits for people with domestic solar systems, which never recover their cost, but the owner gets a state tax break. In effect, taxpayers in general are forced to subsidize uneconomic energy prodcution.

Perhaps you missed my earlier post where I specified that MY system paid for itself in 12 years, and that was back in the 70's!

Perhaps you missed my earlier post where I specified that MY system paid for itself in 12 years, and that was back in the 70's!

I am glad it worked for you.

Here are some stats:

Another thing most people don't realize is that the economics of solar do not depend solely on how many hours the sun shines where you live. The real key to making a PV system pay off is whether your state offers a hefty financial incentive (more than half the U.S. population is covered by such subsidies). Fat subsidies are why New Jersey -- not a Sunbelt state -- has the second-largest number of home PV systems in the U.S., after California. At the moment, 17 states offer rebates, according to the North Carolina Solar Center (you can check the Solar Center's database at www.dsireusa.org to see what incentives are available in your state).

A few big variables dictate whether a home PV system makes economic sense. But in rough terms, here's how the numbers break down in states with the best incentives: The average solar-power system is 4 kilowatts. (Think of kilowatts as the size of the system. The power it generates depends on size, efficiency and sunlight.) Figure the price, including installation, is $10,000 per kilowatt, so the total comes to $40,000. Through various rebates, credits and tax breaks, some states pay half that cost. The federal government will also chip in 30% of the cost, up to $2,000. Taken together, those subsidies drop the total to $18,000. Manufacturers say that solar panels will last 25 to 30 years, and they guarantee them for 20 years. Assuming a 20-year life span, that averages out to a cost of $75 per month.

Now assuming that you did not have the money at the beginning of the project and that you borrowed at at some interest rate then the time for the system to pay for itself would be longer.

And of course why is it that the state is in the business of subsidizing some person's energy usage? I see no justification for this in the constitution. Without the immoral subsidies the equations above all change to make the prospect less appealing. It could still make sense just that the break even point would be futher into the future and perhaps the system would need repair or replacement before that date.

Here are some stats:

Another thing most people don't realize is that the economics of solar do not depend solely on how many hours the sun shines where you live. The real key to making a PV system pay off is whether your state offers a hefty financial incentive (more than half the U.S. population is covered by such subsidies). Fat subsidies are why New Jersey -- not a Sunbelt state -- has the second-largest number of home PV systems in the U.S., after California. At the moment, 17 states offer rebates, according to the North Carolina Solar Center (you can check the Solar Center's database at www.dsireusa.org to see what incentives are available in your state).

A few big variables dictate whether a home PV system makes economic sense. But in rough terms, here's how the numbers break down in states with the best incentives: The average solar-power system is 4 kilowatts. (Think of kilowatts as the size of the system. The power it generates depends on size, efficiency and sunlight.) Figure the price, including installation, is $10,000 per kilowatt, so the total comes to $40,000. Through various rebates, credits and tax breaks, some states pay half that cost. The federal government will also chip in 30% of the cost, up to $2,000. Taken together, those subsidies drop the total to $18,000. Manufacturers say that solar panels will last 25 to 30 years, and they guarantee them for 20 years. Assuming a 20-year life span, that averages out to a cost of $75 per month.

Now assuming that you did not have the money at the beginning of the project and that you borrowed at at some interest rate then the time for the system to pay for itself would be longer.

And of course why is it that the state is in the business of subsidizing some person's energy usage? I see no justification for this in the constitution. Without the immoral subsidies the equations above all change to make the prospect less appealing. It could still make sense just that the break even point would be futher into the future and perhaps the system would need repair or replacement before that date.

Good question. Why is the state or the federal government in the business of subsidizing someone's energy use, or anything else? If it isn't economically viable, then it should be discarded until it is.

Given your figures above, however, it would seem to me that solar panels would be of economic advantage to many of the homeowners around here, even without subsidies. If it costs $75 a month with the subsidies you cite, then the actual cost would be in the neighborhood of $160. Many people here pay upwards of $400 for electricity. Were my bill that high, I would definitely research the idea of having solar panels installed.

The southern desert could just about boil water without the mirrors in the summer,

As kids we grew up every weekend in the desert with my grandparents. Grandma had a lung problem (survived the early 1900s flu epidemic by having 2/3 of one festering lung removed) and so the dry desert made it easier for her to breath and less likely to get sick.

Anyway, we'd wake up at 6AM to about 89 degree heat to which would climb in hotter seasons to well over 100 and sometimes the 1-teens during the heat of the day. Here's how much energy is out there: we used to cook eggs on the pavement, even by mid-morning. If you walked the block to the swimming pool with no shoes on, you risked burn blisters on your feet. That's out there in perhaps millions of acres across the West and Southwest. That's how much solar energy is there for the taking.

Another poster mentioned focused lensing to generate steam. You can focus an immense amount of heat energy with these systems. It's the old magifying trick. I watched a kid on the 4th of July light firecrackers all day long with just a magnifying lens, no matches necessary.

The fresnel lens seems to be the industry standard for concentrating solar energy:

Fresnel lenses can concentrate much more sunlight than normal convex lenses, and melt certain materials and instantly ignite others. Commercial Fresnel lenses are often available from scientific supply stores and are made of bendable plastic. They can be employed in homemade solar cookers and solar collectors to heat water for domestic use. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_lens

The fresnel lens has been around since the 1800s. Where were we? Busy consuming oil.. On the up side, all the destruction wrought by oil use: global warming, thinning ozone and the like are good for increasing solar energy production.

Good question. Why is the state or the federal government in the business of subsidizing someone's energy use, or anything else? If it isn't economically viable, then it should be discarded until it is.

Given your figures above, however, it would seem to me that solar panels would be of economic advantage to many of the homeowners around here, even without subsidies. If it costs $75 a month with the subsidies you cite, then the actual cost would be in the neighborhood of $160. Many people here pay upwards of $400 for electricity. Were my bill that high, I would definitely research the idea of having solar panels installed.

I would love to have panels. My bill can be as low as $29 but as high as $300 if I use the AC a lot. Unfortunately where I live there are too few sunny days and I have some wonderful shade trees that keep my home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter as well as just pretty. I have recently figured out that I can run two dehumuidifiers and keep the thermostat at 80 resulting in a bill of only about $70.

Maybe some day I will be willing to cut down the shade trees and the benefit of panels will overcome the problems of overcast days.

For some people, it's not an option.

That's peachy! Whatever works with you is fine as long as: 1. You don't ask me to pay higher electrical costs to give you rebates. 2. you pay for you own products, as in you don't get to not pay taxes, I must pay, just because you can afford something I can not.

The tax incentives are there to help offset the cost of installation, and has nothing to do with the "class warfare" angle, so let's keep this real shall we? Also, there's nothing "illegal, immoral", or fattening about giving someone a tax incentive to HELP the country, which is exactly what home based power generation is. I get a tax write-off for all of my mileage, and all of the equipment I have in my business, is that somehow "immoral" since my employees don't get those incentives? Hardly, I provide a service for the country by providing employment for many people (it keeps them off of welfare, food stamps, WIC, and out of Section 8 housing), and the government is willing to provide me with an incentive for providing that service.

You are not helping the country. You are passing the cost of your purchase onto the country. This doesn't help anyone, but you.

It is immoral and wrong. If I pay a tax, you should. If you do not, no one should. If we believe in all men are equal, then all men should be taxed the same, no exceptions.

That "I provide a service" excuse is lame lame lame. You provide people with jobs? Guess what, everyone does. Every single time I buy a product, someone somewhere has a job because of my purchase, just like everyone else in this country. So we ALL should get the same tax write off. Everyone.

Secondly, installing solar does not require that you install the entire system all at once. You can install it piecemeal over time, and it is therefore reachable for anyone who owns their home, so that dog just won't hunt either.

As fair as I know, the inverter and grid tie-in must be matched to the solar panels, plus you need the correct number of panels to reach the minimum voltage across the array. This is why most all kits come in 6, 12, 24, 48. Also, the inverter, in order to work efficiently, must be power matched to the array. Having a bigger inverter than needed, so that you can add more panels later, will result poor output. Also, mismatching panels is a bad idea. The older panels will drag the efficiency of the new panels down.

It's not $3.50 per watt hour, it's $4.50 per watt of installed capacity. It's a ONE TIME grant, not a continuing payment, again, to incentives people to install solar and take some of the pressure off of their local power companies strained systems since it's far cheaper for the power company to give these grants than it is for them to build new power stations, sub-stations, and install new lines.

What the heck are you talking about lol. Do you know how much it costs the power company to produce one single kWh from coal? 8¢. Nuclear is cheaper. How the heck do you figure it's cheaper for them to pay you $4.50 for one WATT, of installed capacity, when they can make 56,250 watts with the $4.50 they paid you for the one?

Perhaps you have a really screwed up, governmentally regulated to hell, local power company or something...

By being "on the grid", you're SUPPLYING electricity to the grid during peak loading hours, that you are being paid a small remuneration for, which means that this is electricity that the electric company isn't having to generate, which means that they're not having to build more power generation facilities, which keeps costs down to the consumer. As for your not being able to afford one, why not? Can't you qualify for a loan at the bank? If you can get and afford financing for a new car, you can get and afford financing for a solar power set up. It's just a matter of priority. If you're not interested in being independent and self sufficient, then no amount of discussion is going to change your mind, but if you ARE, then REALLY investigate it.

Loan at the bank? You want me to pay interest on a purchase that decreases in value, making it cost more than it already does? A car loan, that's a horrible idea. No wonder so many Americans are broke and declare bankruptcy every year.

How can you believe this... You think that because you supply 1 kWh to the grid, during peak hours, that now they don't have to build more power plants? Ah yeah they do! If that section of the grid that you are on is anywhere near capacity, they are going to build a power plant, no matter how much or little power you supply the grid. You tiny drop in the bucket doesn't make the slightest difference anywhere.

Let me make something clear. Having other people subsidize your power usage by us paying your purchase of a solar setup is NOT being self sufficient. That's being a tyrant. You, forcing me to pay your bill, is nothing more than legalized stealing. You are stealing money from my check in the form of taxes and higher power bills. If that is what you call "self sufficient" then no, I have no interest in being a legal thief.

My own system cost me roughly the same thing (inflation adjusted), for roughly half the efficiency, and being that I was totally "off the grid", it still only took 12 years for me to "break even", and when I finally sold the place, I got a much better price for it than any comparable home in the area because there was no electric bill.

Also, your point about never being able to break even, I'd be very interested in seeing your data, as I too have run the numbers, and when I build my new house starting next spring I'm going solar and wind (on the grid though, so I can sell my excess to the local power company).

If you 'broke even' by stealing money in the form of rebates and subsidies, then that isn't breaking even in my book. You just stole your way even.

Sure. The cheapest system from a reliable company is a Sunwize 1.05 kW grid tie-in system. This a complete setup, no battery backup. Cost: $8,670

Now 1.05 kW is the factory rating. This is the ideal perfect, garden of Eden, output. Then you buy it, and bring it to the real world. In the real world there are energy losses from wiring, inverters, transformers, grid tie, differences in panels, and the effects of the sun. Without expanding all, here's an example:

The panel will produce stated wattage in the factory under ideal artificial light. The sun has a negative effect and a panel will lose 2% of it's max wattage in the first 2 hours of exposure to sunlight. Nearly all panels operate at -5% wattage in the first month of use.

So after taking into account all the energy losses, the net wattage output is only 83%, or 870 watts.

Here in Ohio, in our peak sunny month, we would have about 5 good hours of max output.

Therefore, only about 4.4 kWhs a day (rounding up).
About 132 kWh for the month.
At 8.5¢ a kWh, that's $11.22 saved in electric bills.
...times 12 months = $134.64 / saved per year.
Total cost of the system $8,670 / by $132.64 savings per year =
only 65 years to break even.

However this assumes every month would produce the same power as August, it wouldn't. It also assumes that my roof is the perfect angle, it isn't. It also assume no bird poop on it, or dust covers it, or leaves lay on it... not so. When you take all this into consideration, I would be lucky to produce 1200 kWh a year for a savings of $100, which would require 87 years to break even.

Which still ignores one final fact... panels do not last forever. The standard silicon panel loses 1% efficiency a year. Every year the amount of power produced would drop. Worse, the inverters and transformers would enhance that loss because as input voltage drops, so does inverter efficiency. Within 10-15 years tops, I'd have to replace every single panel.

In this example, again, I do not count rebates, tax cuts, or any other governmental socialistic system because... it's stealing. You are a thief in my book if you use other peoples money to support your purchase. I would never take money from others to buy my car, nor will I do it to purchase a solar panel. It's immoral, it's wrong, it's unconstitutional.

Oh, and BTW, the panels were $11,766, not $18,000, and as with all "new" technology, over time the cost will come down and the efficiency will go up so that by the time he does need to replace his panels, he won't need 16 of them, he'll probably only need 6.

Er... the technology isn't "new". The modern photovoltaic cell, just like what you use today, has been around since 1954. Another amazing invention of Bell Labs... darn good thing the government broke that company up... idiots. The production of solar panels has not decreased the price by much for the last 20 years because the required refining of Silicon and duping it with other elements, is simply an expensive process. Thus far, the main improvements to solar panels has come by increasing efficiency, which requires a higher quality refinement, which results in a more expensive process, which results in a near identical price to watt ratio. Meaning the the size of the panel has gone down, while wattage and price remained roughly the same.

It's unlikely to drop much in the future... unless the new thin cells can take their place. We'll see, but don't hold your breath. The new thin photovoltaic cells do not use silicon, nor a horribly expensive refinement process. The problem is, I heard about this more than 5 years ago, and I'm still not seeing any quantifiable results. So, here's to hoping, but I'm not holding my breath. Something 'to good to be true' most of the time isn't.

Werbung:

Here are some stats:

Great up to this point, and given that the average electric bill in this area is between $250 and $300 per month, $75 a month is a $125-$225 savings. Even if you have to pay for it yourself, with no grants or incentives, the $40,000.00 system you propose still only costs you $166.66 a month, which is still a substantial savings over the current bill.

But no longer than it would if you were to borrow $40,000 for a new car, so that doesn't matter. I find it absolutely amazing that people will readily go out and spend $30-40k for a new car and never really think about the cost, but they turn into blithering idiots when they talk about spending the same amount of money to power their own home. What are you, APARTMENT DWELLERS???

We're talking about adding 12-15% to the construction costs of a brand new home here, and NOT having an electric bill, EVER. If you're building a new $225,000 home, and adding another $30,000 to it, assuming a 30 year fixed at 5.75%, you're only talking about adding $175.00 a month, which, based on the average electric bills around here, means that you're COMING OUT AHEAD between $75 and $125 a month, EVERY month. If you're REALLY smart, you'll take that money, EVERY month, and throw it in with your mortgage and have it applied to the principle and your home will be paid off somewhere between 25 and 28 years instead of 30. HELL, the interest savings alone are worth that! If you applied the $75 a month to your mortgage, you'd save $38,077 in interest alone, and if you applied the $125 a month, you'd save $57,677!!! And NONE of that is counting the CHECK (as opposed to a BILL) that you'll be getting from your local electric company for providing power TO the grid instead of buying it FROM the grid.

Look, before you start "poo-pooing" wind and solar, at least take the time to REALLY study it, and ALL of it's ramifications, so that you'll get the WHOLE picture instead of sounding like the 3 blind guys and the elephant.

And I see no justification in the Constitution for Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Welfare, Food Stamps, WIC, Section 8 housing, HUD, the Department of the Interior, the Department of Education, the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Agriculture, the Department of Commerce, the Department of Labor, the Department of Energy, the Department of Veteran Affairs, the Department of Housing and Urban Development, or the Department of just about anything else you'd care to name EXCEPT the Department of Defense, the Department of State, the Department of Transportation, and the Department of the Treasury, so how about we cut the "poor me" and "immoral subsidies" routine and get off the backs of a program that actually SAVES the government far more money than it spends.

Do you have ANY idea what it costs to build a brand new coal fired power plant? Do you have any idea to what extent the DOE grants "immoral subsidies" to power companies so that they can build one of these new power plants? First things first. The new Alliant power plant in Wisconsin is projected to be over $1.2 BILLION dollars for their new 300 megawatt plant. And that's just to BUILD it, not to operate it. The proposed AMP Ohio power plant is currently projected to be near, if not over $3 BILLION dollars for a 1000 megawatt plant. Who foots the bill for this, YOU DO! The DOE gives "loans" (at unbelievably low interest rates) to these power companies to build their plants, using YOUR tax dollars, and the only thing you get for your money is higher taxes and an electric bill. At least with "on the grid" home generated power, the people who are providing the power to the grid are actually giving YOU something for your money, in the way of your local power company NOT having to build a new plant for BILLIONS of dollars.

As far as the system needing repair, again, SO WHAT? Isn't your $40,000 car going to need maintenance and repair? Doesn't your existing home need maintenance and repair (unless you really ARE an apartment dweller). You see, this is what we call a STRAWMAN argument, and not even a very good one at that.

Back