1. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

"Sore Loser" law keeps Libertarian candidate off of the ballot

Discussion in 'Elections & Political Parties' started by Centrehalf, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Centrehalf

Centrehalf Well-Known Member

Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate for President this year, will not appear on the ballot in Michigan because he switched affiliation after losing in the GOP primary. A very short article from the Detroit Free Press:

http://www.freep.com/article/201209...ry-johnson-will-not-appear-on-michigan-ballot

I haven't seen anything on this topic anywhere on this forum and apparently most states have these "sore loser" laws. I was wondering what the rest of you think.

Two quick thoughts from me:
    1. This disenfranchises voters.
    2. The only thing this can do is protect the candidates from the two major parties because the other parties don't hold primary elections, and these laws should be struck down due to their prejudicial focus. The more I think about it the more I come to think that we should altogether stop holding primary elections.

2. dogtowner

dogtowner Moderator Staff Member

i guess conn doesnt have such law.
    far too much bs involved with running for office.

3. Cruella

Cruella Well-Known Member

I kind of like the law. If Johnson wanted to run as an independent, why didn't he do that in the first place?

4. Centrehalf

Oddly enough, if he had wanted to run as an Independent on the November ballot he could have as long as he collected 19,000 signatures. Since he's running as a Libertarian he can't appear on the ballot.

5. Cruella

I think Newt had a problem with getting enough signatures in on time in a couple of states where he wasn't on the primary ballot. What's the point of that anyway? Why can't anyone run without jumping through that hoop?

6. dogtowner

the stated intent is to keep frivolous candidates from cluttering the ballot up and that it will. I don't object to signatures as anyone can do that but I have a real problem with the money some demand. that eliminates people for no reason. Newt and Perry should have had no problem obtaining signatures, that they let this get past them is inexcusably stupid.

7. Centrehalf

dogtowner is right, it's supposed to weed out people who aren't serious about running. I agree with you, if you have the backing of a party then I don't see any reason for it. Independents should still have to in lieu of having party support.

8. dogtowner

oddly the backing of a party was originally intended to ease the satisfying of this requirement.

9. Cruella

If I remember correctly, Newt had more than enough signatures turned in, in one state, but the Dems challenged them and there wasn't enough time to verify all the signatures before some deadline. There is just too much BS game playing in our election process. I think the way the whole system, including all the game playing that goes on in Washington and the way our congress works is totally corrupt.

10. Centrehalf

It's interesting how many candidates are having "petition signature malfunctions" this election cycle. If I were a cynic I might say the fix is in.

11. dogtowner

perhaps somewhere but I was only paying attention to my commonwealth and he just didn't get-r-done. ditto Perry.

12. dogtowner

its worth consideration especially given the work of G.Soros who has been quietly working to put friendlies in positions such as there. but it also seems like everyone is too concerned with running ads and not doing the work of campaigning.

13. PLC1

PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

This is one way the Tweedledumocrats and the Tweedledublicans keep their hegemony and make sure that nothing really changes as they trade power back and forth.

Centrehalf and dogtowner like this.
  14. Cruella

If the RINO Republicans don't change their ways they will find themselves out of the game completely. The TP isn't going to wait forever for them to shape up.

I think we should all become Independents, constitutionalists, libertarians etc and kill both parties.

Centrehalf, Texas_tea and Gipper like this.
  15. Centrehalf

Just read something in the NY Times I thought was interesting on this topic. It's an opinion piece by Mickey Edwards.

http://The Unraveling Of Government

I agree almost entirely with this piece. Closed Primaries and sore loser laws result in candidates being elected who wouldn't have otherwise been elected. And, even with that advantage, if the Party doesn't like the outcome, just rig it like the GOP did in Michigan this year (Santorum actually won the GOP primary here)

PLC1 likes this.