South Korean Hatred of the USA

Perhaps we should offer to close our bases down and let them face NK on their own. I wonder how that would go over with the populace?

I wouldn't object. However, the protesters may be right when they claim the US is using SK as a base against China. In other words, the US defense of South Korea is really about containing China, not fighting North Korea. In addition, the US might be making a lot of money from the weapon business. If it were not for those two facts, it would be in the American interest to leave.

Werbung:
I wouldn't object. However, the protesters may be right when they claim the US is using SK as a base against China. In other words, the US defense of South Korea is really about containing China, not fighting North Korea. In addition, the US might be making a lot of money from the weapon business. If it were not for those two facts, it would be in the American interest to leave.
Money is always a part of the equation.
Then, yes, there's China.
So, we're not in it for altruism. Still, I doubt most people in SK would really like to see the US troops leave.

There is no Chance North Korea could defeat South Korea. But they could destroy Soul as it is on the border.

I don't think US troops should be in any area where they are disrespected like in South Korea. Often the US troops are viewed the way black people were back in the days of Jim Crow. They're just viewed as troublemakers and a threat. Of course, this situation is worse than in the past, when Koreans were indocrinated with right wing ideology depicting North Korea as the enemy. Nonetheless, ironically, a lot of South Korean youth have always had a certain hostility to US troops even as early as the 1960s.

I don't think US troops should be in any area where they are disrespected like in South Korea. Often the US troops are viewed the way black people were back in the days of Jim Crow. They're just viewed as troublemakers and a threat. Of course, this situation is worse than in the past, when Koreans were indocrinated with right wing ideology depicting North Korea as the enemy. Nonetheless, ironically, a lot of South Korean youth have always had a certain hostility to US troops even as early as the 1960s.

North Korea as the enemy is right wing ideology, really?

North Korea as the enemy is right wing ideology, really?

I wouldn't say right wing ideology, but maybe anti-communist ideology. In other words, the ideology taught in the South Korea of the past showed no sympathy for the North at all. Now, since they've softened up on the north, most of the people don't see the North as a real enemy, but rather the US which they think opposes reunification.

I wouldn't say right wing ideology, but maybe anti-communist ideology. In other words, the ideology taught in the South Korea of the past showed no sympathy for the North at all. Now, since they've softened up on the north, most of the people don't see the North as a real enemy, but rather the US which they think opposes reunification.
This despite Little Kim and his saber rattling? I'd think they'd be smarter than that.

I think American interests are wider than South Korea interests. While The USA want to fight Chin from getting any political control in SE Asia , Koreans just want unity.

While it my be true they want unity, the vast majority of them spit on the people whom defend their land. It would be kind of like Jews in Jesus' day who liked Romans for business, but otherwise viewed them as barbarian scum. Why should our young people risk thier lives, even if they get a good paycheck, for people who hate them? Why would anyone want to die at 18 and lose on out on family and marriage for these people, especially when the South Koreans can defend themselves?

A lot of South Koreans hate the USA because of various reasons. First of all, they opposed Bush's aggressive policy toward North Korea. Second, they believe the US stole a gold medal from them in the 2002 Olympics. Third, they think the US sold them beef which was contaminated with "Mad Cow Disease". Finally, they believe there is some sinister plot to keep them from having a nuclear weapon. They believe they need a nuke to defend themselves from Japan.

I never knew South Korea were weary of Japan, even more so to want nuclear weapons as i'm sure Japan has an anti-nuclear weapon policy.
How do you feel relations with the North are with the US being involved?
Do you think the North would be up for coming to negotiating with the South if the US stayed away?

I never knew South Korea were weary of Japan, even more so to want nuclear weapons as i'm sure Japan has an anti-nuclear weapon policy.
How do you feel relations with the North are with the US being involved?
Do you think the North would be up for coming to negotiating with the South if the US stayed away?
Probably not. I don't think Kim Jung Un is much into negotiating anything with anyone.

Actually, the paranoia of the common people in South Korea might be justified. There is a movement in Japan to change it's pacifist constitution. In addition, Trump is now demanding that his nation begin to rethink it's relationship with Japan and South Korea.

I am not sure any country wants the USA to have permanent bases in their county. Perhaps the Philippines and Australia but their bases are not permanent and no rent is paid.
Most other countries might be grateful for American help for a time but after awhile they have other aims. South Korea wants unity as families are divided> Thy might be grateful for American help in the south but they are no better off after American intervention than before the war.

The bases tend to be a source of crime, environmental damage, and prostitution. Also, the very idea of them insults the pride of a lot of nations.

Of course, I'm a proud American, but if the shoe was on the other foot, locals here would feel the same way. Imagine, for instance, Chinese or Russian bases in Texas etc.. Well, we saw some of that situation on the movie Red Dawn.

Werbung:
The bases tend to be a source of crime, environmental damage, and prostitution. Also, the very idea of them insults the pride of a lot of nations.

Of course, I'm a proud American, but if the shoe was on the other foot, locals here would feel the same way. Imagine, for instance, Chinese or Russian bases in Texas etc.. Well, we saw some of that situation on the movie Red Dawn.
Someone has to protect Texas from the left wingers in California. I hear they're planning an invasion to take over their cheap housing.

Back