Spare the rod and spoil the child

I think that there is a difference between physical abuse and physical discipline as well. But, I think that the line can be crossed easily. I stopped spanking my children and noticed that their behavior was no different. I can discipline them wihtout it so, why do it and risk crossing the line?

Werbung:
Kelkat:

If "no" doesn't work, then you throw in a punishment. I taught special ed for a year, and plenty of those kids would throw tantrums and put up a hell of a lot of resistence. If you remove rewards as a result of bad behavior, then behavior will eventually be shaped in a positive manner. The problem is that if you give in even once, then you will lose a lot of influence with the child. Many of those kids' problems stemmed from their parents giving them whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted.

Werbung:
I've learned from personal experience that good children do not need to be spanked and spanking doesn't stop the bad behavoir in bad kids.

So, all it really is a way for an angry parent to spend some energy.

I have raised my kids to understand that physical lashing out is never acceptable. What kind of message would I be giving them if I hit them?

Back