Specter's departure a wake-up call for GOP

Werbung:
GOP Sen. Olympia Snowe agrees..

According to a new WaPo Poll only 21% of Americans currently identify themselves as Republican....the lowest number in more than 25 years.

By appealing to the far right exclusively, the former party of the big tent has turned into the party of the pup tent. Sen. Snowe is correct...but keep going the way you are, we Democrats like being in the majority.

I think the whole thing is great.

First, the reason so few people identify themselves as republican is exactly because it is centrist. The republicans have been moving to the left over and over and over. This proves the "we need to appeal to the middle" crowd wrong on an epic scale.

We need to move to the right. We need to not support bailout and amnesty and on and on. All those "appealing to the center" has brought ruin.

Second, I think every RINO that leaves the party is a benefit to the party. It's the RINOs like McCain and Specter, and Snowe, that have caused the party to be in such bad shape.

Third, this removes all excuses. All whines and rants, and Top Gun-ish complainers. You have ZERO excuses now. You can't claim we obstructed. You can't claim it's our fault. You can't blame Bush. You have complete unobstructed control. Let's see how your policies do! Let's see how your messiah fares!

I'm going to enjoy every minute! And rub in all your faces the crap you spew on America! :D

Pandora, If all the people you want to go home, go home, the Rerpublicans really will be a minority party, down to the 35% or so that composes their reactionary core of voters. Most of the elected Republicans from the Northeastern part of the US, where I live, would probably also leave, if you had your way, since they are mostly moderates. They can't get elected in the Northeast unless they are moderates. Even I have voted for some of those moderate Republicans, over the years, such as our former Congresswoman, Connie Morella. So are you of the opinion that if you can't get the whole loaf, you're better off with nothing at all?

I think the whole thing is great.

First, the reason so few people identify themselves as republican is exactly because it is centrist. The republicans have been moving to the left over and over and over. This proves the "we need to appeal to the middle" crowd wrong on an epic scale.

We need to move to the right. We need to not support bailout and amnesty and on and on. All those "appealing to the center" has brought ruin.

Second, I think every RINO that leaves the party is a benefit to the party. It's the RINOs like McCain and Specter, and Snowe, that have caused the party to be in such bad shape.

The GOP has become “a white, rural, regional party.” Not the words of a Democrat, but of Virginia Republican Congressman Tom Davis after last November's election......yet you opt to continue in the same direction?...Good luck.

According to the WaPo poll I previously cited, 21% identified themselves as Republicans 35% as Democrats and 38% independent. Now, that gives the GOP lots of room for growth but your suggestion that the majority of those independents are to the right of today's Republican party is just laughable.

The last election cycle should have given you some indication of what's going on...you may have thought McCain was too liberal, but he was to the right of Obama. People voted for a moderate Democrat in record numbers...how is moving to the extreme right going to capture those voters?

Pandora, If all the people you want to go home, go home, the Rerpublicans really will be a minority party, down to the 35% or so that composes their reactionary core of voters. Most of the elected Republicans from the Northeastern part of the US, where I live, would probably also leave, if you had your way, since they are mostly moderates. They can't get elected in the Northeast unless they are moderates. Even I have voted for some of those moderate Republicans, over the years, such as our former Congresswoman, Connie Morella. So are you of the opinion that if you can't get the whole loaf, you're better off with nothing at all?

I would rather have a minority party that stands for something, than a majority party where I can't tell the difference between them and anyone else.

I mean we almost elected McCain! McCain? He's a republican? On what issue? Not many, if any.

The last election cycle should have given you some indication of what's going on...you may have thought McCain was too liberal, but he was to the right of Obama. People voted for a moderate Democrat in record numbers...how is moving to the extreme right going to capture those voters?

People came out and voted for a moderate, however Obama is not governing as a moderate. When he turns the country sharp left, the "moderates" are going to reject him (and/or the party) and look for the alternative.

It really does not matter how far right the Republicans turn, because they will pick up a large swing when moderates reject the ongoing left turn. However, people will relate to you standing on principle, and that is exactly what Republicans need to be doing right now.

Do you honestly believe that or are you just having fun on the boards?

Well of course I believe it... it's all completely true.

It was front page news the last election cycle how a couple handfuls of Republican incumbents for various reasons didn't defend their seats. Now it's true a couple were pretty old and close to being on the way out anyway (but those seats did end up going to Democrats) and for many the reason put forward was they simply felt they would not win re-election. And then their was the upsets where Democrats won hard held Republican seats.

And to that there's talk everyday about how the GOP has to become a more open modern Party and that it has been shrinking to a point to know it's really just a contending Party in a few places in the south and some of the middle of the country.

I mean it's not like the Republican Party is going to disappear... one could only hope:)... but they are weaker than they've been for decades.

I wouldn't get too optimistic, top gun. It's true that the lemmings within the Republican party are on the move, but given enough time, both parties know how to self-destruct, as the second term of GWB proved one more time. The error of the Cons is that they think 100 days is time enough, while they're busy jumping off the cliff.

We heard all the same arguments when the Republicans took Congress for the first time in years. All we heard was that the Democratic Party was done and would never be back in power. Sound familiar?

Look at what the Democrats did since then? Elected Pelosi as Speaker, Reid in the Senate, followed by Obama. If anything, they went Left as opposed to going to the middle like everyone says the Republicans need to do. If we follow the model the Dems put out, going Right and not Middle is the way to regain power.

I especially like this quote from the Senator.

“I am not prepared to have my 29 year record in the United States Senate decided by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate.“

Good to know that you feel you are above the electorate Mr. Senator.

Spector has never been a republican or conservative or really even moderate. He never had any business in the republican party.

I get that some senators not those in congress, have to be moderate because they could never get elected otherwise, but Spector was not even moderate. He belongs in the dem party.

also,

It is better to be a small group who does what is right than a big group who has too many that are willing to do what is wrong. Having 5 people in your group who do the wrong thing drags down the whole group.

You should be very happy about Spector going home to the dems, I am :)

Werbung:
We heard all the same arguments when the Republicans took Congress for the first time in years. All we heard was that the Democratic Party was done and would never be back in power. Sound familiar?

Look at what the Democrats did since then? Elected Pelosi as Speaker, Reid in the Senate, followed by Obama. If anything, they went Left as opposed to going to the middle like everyone says the Republicans need to do. If we follow the model the Dems put out, going Right and not Middle is the way to regain power.

I agree, back to the right is where the republican party should go.

Back