Spoke at Town Hall today

top gun

I attended and even spoke at the Town Hall Meeting held today at the Ohio State University biomedical research center. It was a chance to talk face to face with our good Senator from Ohio Sherrod Brown along with various doctors & businessmen on the panel.

The Senator, the three doctors from the Ohio State Medical Research Center, the two small business owners and the one recently graduated student that had come down with scarlet fever while in college all spoke first explaining what they thought was important and what they'd most like to see in regard to Health Insurance Reform.

The room probably held a couple hundred people maybe more. I purposely sat right in the middle of one of the small groups of 3 or 4 that I pegged as probably being bused in hecklers. And after talking with them for awhile before the meeting found out they were actually from Bucyrus. They dispersed 3 or 4 small groups like this throughout the crowd as to not appear to all be together... but it was easy to see that they all knew each other well from all of their back & forth to each other before the meeting got started.

Everyone had about a half hour to 45 minutes to do a little pre-meeting personal debating waiting for the event to start with those sitting around them. I think this helped because the hecklers could see the crowd was not going to go for any big outlandish disruptions and I don't think they wanted a big backlash... plus there was plenty of security on site.

Things went smoothly... a standing ovation for Senator Sherrod Brown when he walked in. Both sides were given plenty of opportunities to state their positions as did I. In the 2 hours only a couple hecklers spoke out of turn a few times with a couple words here and there.

Going by speakers, the applause for various speakers positions and the crowds reaction to the hecklers I'd say in this particular venue the numbers were (plus or minus 5%)... 80% were definitely for some serious type of reform, 10% were just there to learn about what was being purposed, and 10% hard against.

It turned out very well. Worth taking a half day off work to be part of.

Werbung:
Excellent...DEMOCRACY in action. Did you hear anything that you hadn't heard or already new...anything new???

I gave your topic 5 stars since the children have black balled my ability to award a good kudo for a positive post. So we'll see if the 'mental midgets' start chopping away at the 5 stars. ;)

Just found this article (emailed from a friend) and I was wondering about your thoughts on this? :confused:
Doctor Shortage Looms Amid Healthcare Reform

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:38 PM

Policy analysts are hammering President Barack Obama's drive for healthcare reform, citing the massive $1 trillion price tag of his plan as well as the very real likelihood that America will be confronted with a disastrous doctor shortage.

According to a Newsmax.TV Special Report on the healthcare debate, critics are wondering where America's healthcare system will get the doctors for tens of millions of new patients, while others are fearful that the government will turn physicians into servants of the state.

“There aren't going to be any doctors around – doctors are going to bail out,” says Kathryn Serkes of the Association of American Physicians & Surgeons. “You may have an insurance policy from the government, you may have a piece of paper, but you won't be able to get an appointment or get into a hospital and get an actual doctor to take care of you.”

My thoughts >:
This could be a real 'fly in the ointment' and with the length of time (8 plus years of college) we aren't going to find some unemployed group of knowledgeable young people just standing around looking for a new career move for less then 2 years of college loans, they'll look at the expense for those 8 years of loans and simply say, NO WAY!

Excellent...DEMOCRACY in action. Did you hear anything that you hadn't heard or already new...anything new???

I gave your topic 5 stars since the children have black balled my ability to award a good kudo for a positive post. So we'll see if the 'mental midgets' start chopping away at the 5 stars. ;)

Nothing new... just dispelled all the made up crap.

It was really good though because the first hour was the Senator explaining the plan and dispelling the most popular lies.

Then the doctors gave their evaluation of our current system compared to a reformed one.

Then the two local business owners spoke about the problems they have with the current system even providing healthcare... one had stopped even offering it.

And then the ex-college student talked about paying out of pocket for the strep throat that ended up being scarlet fever and now 6 years later he still can't get anything close to a reasonable price on health insurance when he can find it at all because the insurance companies consider once having scarlet fever a pre-existing condition for future problems.

It was funny though. Once when the three wannabe hecklers from Bucyrus sitting next to me tried to heckle a speaker so she couldn't continue I gave them the "talk to the hand" with my left hand (they were on my left) while staring at the speaker on the right and yelled out LET HER TALK!

They kinda sank into their seats and chilled a little bit after that.

On the kudos thing you know I really appreciate you all and it's not for rep. Just keep posting yourselves. We all do what we can do.;)

I attended and even spoke at the Town Hall Meeting held today at the Ohio State University biomedical research center. It was a chance to talk face to face with our good Senator from Ohio Sherrod Brown along with various doctors & businessmen on the panel.

The Senator, the three doctors from the Ohio State Medical Research Center, the two small business owners and the one recently graduated student that had come down with scarlet fever while in college all spoke first explaining what they thought was important and what they'd most like to see in regard to Health Insurance Reform.

The room probably held a couple hundred people maybe more. I purposely sat right in the middle of one of the small groups of 3 or 4 that I pegged as probably being bused in hecklers. And after talking with them for awhile before the meeting found out they were actually from Bucyrus. They dispersed 3 or 4 small groups like this throughout the crowd as to not appear to all be together... but it was easy to see that they all knew each other well from all of their back & forth to each other before the meeting got started.

Everyone had about a half hour to 45 minutes to do a little pre-meeting personal debating waiting for the event to start with those sitting around them. I think this helped because the hecklers could see the crowd was not going to go for any big outlandish disruptions and I don't think they wanted a big backlash... plus there was plenty of security on site.

Things went smoothly... a standing ovation for Senator Sherrod Brown when he walked in. Both sides were given plenty of opportunities to state their positions as did I. In the 2 hours only a couple hecklers spoke out of turn a few times with a couple words here and there.

Going by speakers, the applause for various speakers positions and the crowds reaction to the hecklers I'd say in this particular venue the numbers were (plus or minus 5%)... 80% were definitely for some serious type of reform, 10% were just there to learn about what was being purposed, and 10% hard against.

It turned out very well. Worth taking a half day off work to be part of.

Did your member bring the bill to the meeting and explain (using the bill) why things are true/untrue? I would like to see one of them do that.

Edit: I see you attended your Senator's meeting, so there is no single concrete bill, so my comments are geared more towards House members.

Top Gun, Did moveon.org tell you to do it? I have been getting emails from them telling me to go to events in my area, they even name the events time and place.

I just got an email from them telling me to write our local paper, and they named the paper and tell them about health care issues because so many want health care reform and the radical right wingers are messing it up. I wonder if so many want it why does move on and the white house have to flood my email box trying to get me to write and go to events?

Did emails like this get you to go to your town hall meeting?

Often times, taking the time to attend those events is worth it. Granted here, when there is a public meeting, depending on how important the issue and who the bigwig is. Ive had the chance to testify on a number of various issues in similar settings, ive also had the chance in front of state legislative committees a bunch of times.

There is lots of DC suits in the state right now. Senator Begich has held a town hall in Anchorage and I think a few other locations. But more importantly Senator Begich and
Energy Secretary Steven Chu, Education Secretary Arne Duncan, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan. All took a trip to Bethel. Below is the link for the long story. From a local perspective when the officials show up from DC, it is much different. Senator Stevens was also quite good with bringing out folks with buckets of money and having them tour a couple villages, and then spent 3-4days fishing and staying at some of the more exclusive lodges.

Its always a treat to see which ones of them will eat the local food and be friendly. When I was the local youth center manager, SecHHS Tommy Thompson visited the center, among other places. He was supposed to be there for 30 minutes. Ended up visiting with everyone and hanging out and signing autographs for the kids for nearly 2 hours. Very friendly man, enjoyed the spread of local foods.

I also attended a lunch when Christine TOdd Whitman was in town, and she didnt want to talk to any locals. She spent most of the time on her pocket computer and talking to her two staff. But the secret service guy and another staff member loved the smoked salmon, aqutuuq(eskimo ice cream).

http://www.adn.com/news/story/897810.html

Top Gun, Did moveon.org tell you to do it? I have been getting emails from them telling me to go to events in my area, they even name the events time and place.

I just got an email from them telling me to write our local paper, and they named the paper and tell them about health care issues because so many want health care reform and the radical right wingers are messing it up. I wonder if so many want it why does move on and the white house have to flood my email box trying to get me to write and go to events?

Did emails like this get you to go to your town hall meeting?

Yes I get invitations to events from no less that 4 or 5 sources one of which is MoveOn.

The vast majority of people going to these meetings want to hear about the proposed legislation... ask about some rumor they had heard or find out how this will affect them personally... but they are not activists.

They are easily shouted down by people often bused in intentionally to disrupt hoping for some media spotlight and filibustering so others can't ask their legitimate questions. This also limits the time the Representatives have to actually explain the true objectives of the plan to the rest of the audience.

When that happens yes that does invigorate the activists on the other side.

Anyone interested in facts I'll provide some links here.

8 ways reform provides security and stability to those with or without coverage
Learn more and get details: http://www.WhiteHouse.gov/health-insurance-consumer-protections/

8 common myths about health insurance reform
Learn more and get details:
http://www.WhiteHouse.gov/realitycheck
http://www.WhiteHouse.gov/realitycheck/faq

8 Reasons We Need Health Insurance Reform Now
http://www.WhiteHouse.gov/assets/documents/CEA_Health_Care_Report.pdf

Yes I get invitations to events from no less that 4 or 5 sources one of which is MoveOn.

The vast majority of people going to these meetings want to hear about the proposed legislation... ask about some rumor they had heard or find out how this will affect them personally... but they are not activists.

They are easily shouted down by people often bused in intentionally to disrupt hoping for some media spotlight and filibustering so others can't ask their legitimate questions. This also limits the time the Representatives have to actually explain the true objectives of the plan to the rest of the audience.

When that happens yes that does invigorate the activists on the other side.

Anyone interested in facts I'll provide some links here.

8 ways reform provides security and stability to those with or without coverage
Learn more and get details: http://www.WhiteHouse.gov/health-insurance-consumer-protections/

8 common myths about health insurance reform
Learn more and get details:
http://www.WhiteHouse.gov/realitycheck
http://www.WhiteHouse.gov/realitycheck/faq

8 Reasons We Need Health Insurance Reform Now
http://www.WhiteHouse.gov/assets/documents/CEA_Health_Care_Report.pdf

I have also gotten invitations to these things by moveon and a few other places, none of them being republican groups.

I find it odd that some are saying the angry mobs are being organized by republicans when republican groups are not sending this stuff out, its democrat groups who are and telling you what to say. some of those democrat groups having direct connections to the white house and obama... you can download something like a script of what to wear and the questions that would be good to ask.

I am all for going and speaking your mind.. You, me and anyone else. For it or against it.

Unfortunately Republicans & their Insurance Lobbyists are sending all kinds of inaccurate stuff out... that's what created the need to counter rally.

So the following has to be sent out to help counter.

OHIO DEMOCRATIC PARTY

Dear ****,

In the last few months, we've made more progress on health insurance reform than we made in the previous 60 years. You can tell from the reaction of reform opponents that we're doing something right.

Special interests who profit from the status quo are spreading brazen lies that stir up anger, and Republican leaders are chiming in with over-the-top rhetoric that detracts from the public debate. Just last week, Rush Limbaugh insinuated that President Obama was comparable to Adolf Hitler.

It's a perfect example of "the old politics of fear and division" that President Obama talked about during his campaign. But there is too much at stake, too many Americans facing rising health care costs and shrinking paychecks, for us to let the politics of yesterday prevail.

The last thing opponents of reform want is a positive, civil debate. They know they'll lose on the merits, so they're turning to lies and division. It's up to us to expose each distortion for what it is: a lie, plain and simple. If we do that, we'll better our politics -- and bring badly-needed reform.

Monday, the White House launched a new online resource that could help -- a "Reality Check" site to help Americans clear up health care lies and misinformation. Visit the site today -- and then send it to your friends so that everyone you know learns the truth.

Whether it's a parent wondering how reform will affect seniors, an old friend confused about a lie they've heard, or just a concerned co-worker, we all know someone with questions about reform. The "Reality Check" site answers those questions and sets the record straight on lies that have been circulating.

But it's up to each of you to make sure they see it -- so make sure to send it their way today.

With news of disruptions at some town halls, it's easy to forget the progress we've made. But because of your continued commitment, the tide is turning. Supporters of reform now outnumber opponents at many town halls. And when we win the fight for health insurance reform, it will be not only a momentous accomplishment, but a sign that it's possible to defeat the angry politics of the past.

There are too many folks in Washington who are willing to lie for partisan gain, or engage in hateful rhetoric to score political points, for reform to come easily. We all need to step up -- and it starts with you passing along "Reality Check" today:

http://democrats.org/RealityCheck

We face too many challenges together -- we can't afford to continue the slash and burn politics of yesterday. Please stand with me and fight for the truth.

Thank you,

Governor Tim Kaine
Chairman

Dear MoveOn member,

The health care fight has turned ugly, fast. Right-wing mobs are crashing congressional town halls,1 lies are spreading via anonymous email chains,2 and Sarah Palin bizarrely said that President Obama was going to set up a "death panel," whatever that is.3

Many of these claims are just incredible—but if we don't fight back with the truth, the right will continue to poison the health care debate. So as part of our Real Voices for Change campaign this August, we're working to set the record straight.

Check out the list below: "Top Five Health Care Lies—and How to Fight Back." Can you spread the word by passing this email along to 10 of your friends today?

Also, if you're on Facebook, please post the list today by clicking here: http://www.moveon.org/r?r=51746. If you're on Twitter, retweet: @MoveOn Check out the Top 5 Health Care Lies—and How to Fight Back. http://bit.ly/Bncs5

Top Five Health Care Reform Lies—and How to Fight Back
Lie #1: President Obama wants to euthanize your grandma!!!

The truth: These accusations—of "death panels" and forced euthanasia—are, of course, flatly untrue. As an article from the Associated Press puts it: "No 'death panel' in health care bill."4 What's the real deal? Reform legislation includes a provision, supported by the AARP, to offer senior citizens access to a professional medical counselor who will provide them with information on preparing a living will and other issues facing older Americans.5

Lie #2: Democrats are going to outlaw private insurance and force you into a government plan!!!

The truth: With reform, choices will increase, not decrease. Obama's reform plans will create a health insurance exchange, a one-stop shopping marketplace for affordable, high-quality insurance options.6 Included in the exchange is the public health insurance option—a nationwide plan with a broad network of providers—that will operate alongside private insurance companies, injecting competition into the market to drive quality up and costs down.7

If you're happy with your coverage and doctors, you can keep them.8 But the new public plan will expand choices to millions of businesses or individuals who choose to opt into it, including many who simply can't afford health care now.

Lie #3: President Obama wants to implement Soviet-style rationing!!!

The truth: Health care reform will expand access to high-quality health insurance, and give individuals, families, and businesses more choices for coverage. Right now, big corporations decide whether to give you coverage, what doctors you get to see, and whether a particular procedure or medicine is covered—that is rationed care. And a big part of reform is to stop that.

Health care reform will do away with some of the most nefarious aspects of this rationing: discrimination for pre-existing conditions, insurers that cancel coverage when you get sick, gender discrimination, and lifetime and yearly limits on coverage.9 And outside of that, as noted above, reform will increase insurance options, not force anyone into a rationed situation.

Lie #4: Obama is secretly plotting to cut senior citizens' Medicare benefits!!!

The truth: Health care reform plans will not reduce Medicare benefits.10 Reform includes savings from Medicare that are unrelated to patient care—in fact, the savings comes from cutting billions of dollars in overpayments to insurance companies and eliminating waste, fraud, and abuse.11

Lie #5: Obama's health care plan will bankrupt America!!!

The truth: We need health care reform now in order to prevent bankruptcy—to control spiraling costs that affect individuals, families, small businesses, and the American economy.

Right now, we spend more than $2 trillion dollars a year on health care.12 The average family premium is projected to rise to over $22,000 in the next decade13—and each year, nearly a million people face bankruptcy because of medical expenses.14 Reform, with an affordable, high-quality public option that can spur competition, is necessary to bring down skyrocketing costs. Also, President Obama's reform plans would be fully paid for over 10 years and not add a penny to the deficit.15

We're closer to real health care reform than we've ever been—and the next few weeks will decide whether it happens. We need to make sure the truth about health care reform is spread far and wide to combat right wing lies.

Can you forward this email to your friends today? And remember, also post it on Facebook by clicking here: http://www.moveon.org/r?r=51746. And on Twitter, by retweeting: @MoveOn Check out the Top 5 Health Care Lies—and How to Fight Back. http://bit.ly/Bncs5

Thanks for all you do.

–Nita, Kat, Ilya, Michael and the rest of the team

P.S. Want more? Check out this great new White House "Reality Check" website: http://www.whitehouse.gov/realitycheck/ or this excellent piece from Health Care for America Now on some of the most outrageous lies: http://www.moveon.org/r?

Unfortunately Republicans & their Insurance Lobbyists are sending all kinds of inaccurate stuff out... that's what created the need to counter rally.

But what the people are accused of is being fake, astroturf, sent in by the repubican party, sent in by big insurance.

But I am going to get all the emails that anyone going to a town hall and I did not get any from the repubican party or big insurance... yet its those who think like me who are called fake.

Your groups sent out where and when, what to wear and say and are called grass roots.

I do not really understand that.

but now you are saying something others are not saying, you are saying the need for people like you to go was the lies, where others are saying you guys are the only grass roots people the rest are fakes.

I dont get it.

Werbung:

But what the people are accused of is being fake, astroturf, sent in by the repubican party, sent in by big insurance.

But I am going to get all the emails that anyone going to a town hall and I did not get any from the repubican party or big insurance... yet its those who think like me who are called fake.

Your groups sent out where and when, what to wear and say and are called grass roots.

I do not really understand that.

but now you are saying something others are not saying, you are saying the need for people like you to go was the lies, where others are saying you guys are the only grass roots people the rest are fakes.

I dont get it.

Well you tell everybody you're a registered Democrat so it's not surprising you don't get Lunatic Right e-mails. I don't get them either. My younger brother the registered Republican... now he gets them. Fact is they are out there in huge numbers. So huge that it's become a full time job for people just to debunk all the lies contained therein.

And they started way WAY before any of the MoveOn stuff. Remember the Democrats wanted to do the Town Halls to adequately inform people so the "you're not being transparent" argument wouldn't be used against them.

They never planned on organized bused in mob tactics. It took them awhile to counter that.

Back