1. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

State Action to Refuse Participation in National Healthcare?

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by BigRob, Jan 17, 2010.

1. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

I saw this legislation was introduced in the Louisiana State Senate by Senator Crowe. Generally, it states:

I have seen some legislation in state governments about the 10th amendment, however anything that has actually passed has seemed to be something that is non-binding.

Is this type of thing something that people would expect other states to follow on, or have other states already introduced legislation of this sort?

I am not sure I see it really going anywhere, outside of a few arguments in there that could be problematic for the Federal Government, but I am not sure it would sink anything entirely.

What do you all think?

2. top gun

top gun Well-Known Member

Likely to end up like the stimulus funds.

The ones that said they weren't going to take them eventually saw they were loosing out by not.

Or who knows there may be an opt out in the Bill. We'll have to wait and see.

3. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

Well, even those who said they would not take stimulus dollars only ended up taking some of the dollars. They continue to refuse to accept other parts of the money.

I do not see how that model can translate into the healthcare legislation. This one seems more like an all or nothing situation.

4. ASPCA4EVER

ASPCA4EVER Well-Known Member

Land of the JAYHAWKS-ROCK CHOCK Jayhawk, KU
    Has any state challenged and won this argument in court anywhere in AMERICA. I'm wondering about the Public Schools that are currently banning together to file suits against the state for funding that they are being denied because of that 'NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND' debacle {not that this compares to the health care issue} just wondering if that court ruling had ever been challenged by any state since the 1997 date!

5. dogtowner

dogtowner Moderator Staff Member

this legislation si unconstitutional. it will be tested and I believe will be found wanting.

6. GenSeneca

GenSeneca Well-Known Member

The states have to assert their rights as states to prevent the federal government from steamrolling over all of us, and our rights. Unfortunately, states like California and Michigan are heavily in debt and face potential collapse without bailouts from the federal government. States with such life threatening self inflicted wounds are going hat in hand to the federal government for rescue and not even considering asserting their rights.

Here's a good article:

The concept of need legitimizing the violation of rights is both immoral and impractical.

7. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Well-Known Member

If this is what it takes to get the public to finally notice the 10th amendment and start wondering what it means, then I guess that's a small silver lining on the black cloud of government-run health care.

8. Gipper

Gipper Well-Known Member

Many states grappling with huge deficits were running surpluses in the 90's, just like the Feds.

9. ASPCA4EVER

ASPCA4EVER Well-Known Member

Land of the JAYHAWKS-ROCK CHOCK Jayhawk, KU
    But isn't that a double edged sword; our government bailed out the 'BIG APPLE' when it was about to implode {we support our government who in return supports all of us when we need them to}...what would have been the outcome had NEW YORK not received the assistance that they asked for? I just shudder to think about that low that many years ago!

10. chestnut

chestnut Well-Known Member

Maybe, just, maybe, if the states fail, the polciy makers in those states will realize that they cannot just pass every social entitlement they want and not be expected to pay for it.
    They can't be like California, and drive out businesses and make safe haven cities for illegal immigrants. They have to stop the environmentalists silly notiions about no "pre-burnings" for the forests.

Most of what is brought in is brought on by themselves.

11. pocketfullofshells

pocketfullofshells Well-Known Member

land of 10,000 lakes and 2 senators again
    Just like the Fed...in the 90's we did not have a Republican in office as well :)

12. pocketfullofshells

How about we cut off the funds that go into all those red States that pay in far less taxes then they receive ( yet cry about taxes) and watch them fail. Lets watch the Great States of Alabama and Miss, get by with no federal help...I am Sure MN could enjoy its extra tax money back since we pay in more then we get back as a state.

Of course that just means more of those dumb hicks moving here for jobs, then we have to deal with them.

13. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

Well, if you cut off the funds, and saddle all these states will unfunded liabilities it would be a violation of the law.

However, if you cut the programs that needed to be funded, and then cut the funds, that would be fine, since people would need to pay far less in taxes to the federal government.

I also find your generalization of people in the South as somewhat ignorant.

14. pocketfullofshells

Then tell them to stop proving me right. But at least you said Somewhat, so you there is some truth behind what I said. Those 2 states you will find at the bottom of just about any list talking about Education...I can only guess how well they would do without federal funds.

And as stated before, Bush, no Child Left behind.. need I say more? as always, the right was pretty silent on that one....

15. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

I know that education in Louisiana is terrible, however I grew up there, and I feel like I managed to get a decent one. ;)

As for NCLB, I am with you, it has its problems, however I think there are some positives that it produced that ought to be considered as well.