Storm Over Book On Israeli Lobby

I would add two more things to ArmChair's list.

(1) They do things that the U.S. wants to do but can't for political reasons such as the bombing of Saddam's nuclear reactor in the 80s.
--------
Why should the U.S. want to bomb Saddam's nuclear reactor? And even if we needed to, why couldn't we do it?

(2) Israel is essentially a shock absorber for the U.S. Because of their proximity, the Arabs tend to take out the bulk of their hatred towards the West on the "Little Satan" Israel. If Israel goes away, much of that anti-Western sentiment is going to be turned to the U.S.
--------------
Have you ever considered that if Israel "goes away," there would be no hatred toward the U.S.?

Werbung:
I understand your point but it's not what we were talking about. Popeye was asserting that if we stopped supporting Israel the terrorists and mullahs and Islamic fundamentalists would magically start liking us.
----------
And you know that they won't because . . . ?

Lasher there are other reasons that have been claimed as well. The whole AQ started over having troops in the KSA in 90-91. At least according to OBL.

While Israel is a large reason it seems, there are others.

I doubt that those that dislike the US to the point of taking up arms against it or its allies and interests, would stop that dislike if the US said we arent going to give another cent of foreign aide to Israel.

Lasher there are other reasons that have been claimed as well. The whole AQ started over having troops in the KSA in 90-91. At least according to OBL.

While Israel is a large reason it seems, there are others.

I doubt that those that dislike the US to the point of taking up arms against it or its allies and interests, would stop that dislike if the US said we arent going to give another cent of foreign aide to Israel.

The most-oft cited by the mullahs is deposing the Iranian shah in 1953 (I believe is the date).

Just because you doubt it doesn't mean it won't happen. Why shouldn't we try doing it instead of blindly backing everything Israel does to the point of being the only member of the U.N. to veto resolutions against her? I can't understand the loyalty some people have toward that "sh--ty little country" in light of all the trouble she causes for us and the rest of the world. Is Israel that important? I don't think so.

The above is to Bunz.
--------------------

The most-oft cited by the mullahs is deposing the Iranian shah in 1953 (I believe is the date).
-------------
I don't remember the exact year, but it was more like 1973.

This might suggest a clue as to why there is necessary discussion on this issue

In sum, all of the fertility imagery and reproductive elements, all of the world and man creating elements are present on the cover of the text, and this is only appropriate, for the project was an attempt, sucessful, to spawn both cosmos and world, and to do so generatively, so that man through "clear" and "distinct" fully comprehensible knowledge could create a world that he could know with almost "absolute knowledge"—to recur to Hegel whose claim to "absolute knowledge" is often waived away too glibly and must be concieved (or must not be conceived) in light of the unity or relation, as Strauss so importantly and profoundly pointed out, of the will-to-power and technology: Modern Man knows only what he makes, and in order to achieve this—in order for one man or a few to achieve this, as again Strauss points out, "The difficulty inherent in the philosophy of the will to power led after Nietzsche to the explicit renunciation of the very notion of eternity. Modern thought reaches its highest self-consciousness, in the most radical historicism, i.e., in explicitly condemning to oblivion the notion of eternity. For oblivion of eternity, or, in other words, estrangement from man's deepest desire and therewith from the primary issues, is the price which modern man had to pay, from the very begining, for attempting to be absolutely sovereign, to become the master and owner of nature, to conquer chance." (What is Political Philosophy, 55). No better statement of the achievement of the Chicago school—of that brilliant but dubious, because beyond good and evil—of Political science was ever made, but, for this, the price we have to pay is being imprisoned in the "Ark of the Covenant" or in the Weberian "Iron cage of Beauracracy,"—for the entire reign of Zarathustra's "Hazar," as Kaufmann has it—one thousand years of earthly dominion of the Anti-Christ, who is the "absolutely wise man" spoken of in Nietzsche's work "Human, All too Human." He—Strauss—could have at least asked us, without becoming a "pollcat" if we wanted to become thus oblivionated from"our deepest longing," and if we really wanted to "renounce eternity," but given his hostility to democratic,or better liberal democratic processes that would not have been the tack he would have taken, and, besides, being too young for such decisions—I was on one when the profound achievement of the 1967 "Six Day's War" was consummated by Israel, a state I am in no way hostile to, to correct some profound misconceptions that have all the authenticity of someone who spends his life in condemnable "idle talk," and does not ever engage the primary issues, which are so evidently the most important elements of our time that it is facile and feckless to deny it.

Just because you doubt it doesn't mean it won't happen.
Maybe so. I am so confident that they would find something else to hate us for such as Iraq, Afghanistan, oil or whatever to still dislike the US enough to take up arms against it or commit terrorist atrocities.

Why shouldn't we try doing it instead of blindly backing everything Israel does to the point of being the only member of the U.N. to veto resolutions against her?
I personally dont agree with many of the foreign policy decisions concerning Israel. As Americans, concerning Israel, we need to really shift they way we look at them and come to the realization that Israel is in some ways treated very much like a US territory.
We bought, owned forever Israel in 1947, by pushing through the creation of the Jewish State. Sure on paper they are a sovereign country they have the functions of one in many ways. Know this, Israel doesnt do much without the approval from Washington.
I can't understand the loyalty some people have toward that "sh--ty little country" in light of all the trouble she causes for us and the rest of the world.
Your right in several ways. A patch of desert the size of NJ, surrounded by an area probably much larger than the rest of the United States inhabited by and large by Muslims.
Are you suggesting that there should not be a Jewish Homeland?

Is Israel that important? I don't think so.
Your welcome to your opinion. In my opinion Israel is among our top 5 most important Allies in the world.

Werbung:
Back