Stunning CNN poll: Americans hugely favor Republicans' "Cut Cap and Balance" plan

Little-Acorn

HotAir.com Report said:
http://hotair.com/archives/2011/07/21/oh-my-ccb-bill-gets-2-1-approval-among-adults-in-cnn-poll/
CNN Poll said:
Americans are hungry for a solution to the debt ceiling debate but there is a big partisan divide that isn’t going to make a solution easy to achieve, according to a new national survey.

And a CNN/ORC International Poll also indicates that while Democrats and independent voters are open to a number of different approaches, Republicans draw the line at tax increases, and many of them oppose raising the nation’s debt ceiling under any circumstances.

Republicans like the “cut, cap, and balance” approach to the debt ceiling, as do Democrats and independents. Most Americans support a balanced budget amendment, and most, but not as many, think an amendment is necessary to get federal spending under control. A balanced budget amendment passed the House earlier this week....

Er, yeah. In other words, a consensus exists across all political lines that the CCB/BBA (Cut, Cap, and Balance / Balanced Budget Amendment) approach would be a good idea. When one scrolls down to the crosstab sections of the raw data, the consensus becomes very, very clear. The CCB/BBA approach wins majorities in every single demographic — including self-described liberals. Sixty-three percent of Democrats back the House bill. The least supportive age demographic is 50-64YOs at 62/37; the least supportive regional demographic is the Midwest at 61/39. Even those who express opposition to the Tea Party supports it 53/47.

In other words, it’s a clean sweep. Simply put, there is no political demographic at all where the CCB/BBA doesn’t get majority support. The BBA on its own does even better. It gets 3-1 support (74/24), and except for those Tea Party opponents (56%) and self-professed liberals (61/37), doesn’t get below 70% support in any demographic.

Guess what doesn’t get much support? The McConnell plan. Respondents rejected the idea of letting Obama raise the debt ceiling on his own, 34/65. Not one single demographic supports the idea, not even Democrats (40/60) or liberals (34/65).

To quote Barack Obama, the American people are sold — on the Republican plan passed in the House to deal with the debt-ceiling and spending crises.

This poll was taken July 18-20, 2011, and published July 21, 2011. Or part of it was published. The unbiased, balanced reporting of CNN somehow failed to mention how Americans felt about the Republican's CCB/BBA bill passed in the House. You had to read thirteen paragraphs into the story to find any mention of it at all... and then there were no numbers presented.

But the conclusions are clear - at least, when the facts are finally reported. The American people - Democrat and Republican, old and young, male and female, white, black, brown, green, and purple, ALL favor the Republican's CCB/BBA plan that has been passed in the House... and by huge margins.

And this is another of CNN's polls taken simply of "Adults", not registered voters or likely voters. Such polls tend to support liberal causes over conservative causes, far more heavily than subsequent election results of those idea eventually prove. And yet, even with the added leftist bias, the Republicans' plans STILL came out way ahead.

The debate is over. And the identity of the winners and losers are clear: The Republicans' plan has the overwhelming favor of the American people. And President Obama's plan (if you can find it written down anywhere) has failed.

That's news that CNN apparently feels must be buried at all costs.

Werbung:
new poll shows 99% of Americans have no idea what that bill even has in it...

If you polled most Americans asking them should the government be forced into a balanced budget, which this poll likely did, most would say yes. It is not a difficult concept to comprehend...except maybe for you.

But, BO says he don't need no stinking law to force him to do his job...Ugh! and the sycophantic press thinks he is soooooooooo smart...and asks no questions.

If you polled most Americans asking them should the government be forced into a balanced budget, which this poll likely did, most would say yes. It is not a difficult concept to comprehend...except maybe for you.

But, BO says he don't need no stinking law to force him to do his job...Ugh! and the sycophantic press thinks he is soooooooooo smart...and asks no questions.

name a president who did that....name one who balanced the budget...

also polls show they want a mix of raising taxes and spending cuts...but you don't care about that do you?

name a president who did that....name one who balanced the budget...

also polls show they want a mix of raising taxes and spending cuts...but you don't care about that do you?

WTF man...your boy the Impeached One nearly did it not long ago. So why do you think it can't be done? BJ Bubba, with a great deal of help from the Rs when they acted conservative, had several budgets that were nearly balanced.

Many states require balanced budgets...why not the Feds?

And to your second point, I and many conservatives have no problem with eliminating loopholes and other such things to generate more revenue. Lets make the tax code flat and simple instead of progressive and complicated. This would prevent such things as BO's favorite corporation (GE) from making BILLIONS while paying NO TAXES.

Unfortunately, Clinton's balanced budget was balanced only because he borrowed money from the Social Security trust fund. It was not a true primary surplus.

WTF man...your boy the Impeached One nearly did it not long ago. So why do you think it can't be done? BJ Bubba, with a great deal of help from the Rs when they acted conservative, had several budgets that were nearly balanced.

Many states require balanced budgets...why not the Feds?

And to your second point, I and many conservatives have no problem with eliminating loopholes and other such things to generate more revenue. Lets make the tax code flat and simple instead of progressive and complicated. This would prevent such things as BO's favorite corporation (GE) from making BILLIONS while paying NO TAXES.

that had a lot to do with something else...a great econ...due to the tech boom.
But its funny how Clinton did not really balance the budget...until not it suits you,

also if you want to reduce debt...a balanced budget does not do that...it keeps it the same...unless by balanced budget you mean the US must have no debt...something that has never happened...this nation when it formed...had debt already.

you know who kept having balanced budgets...Tim P...you know how? he stole money from the schools ...sorry "borrowed" evry year...and then when he left all the bills came do....for the next guy. ( a dem...just once would like to see republicans hand off power to the dems and not leave a huge waste debt..when they took power under a surplus...as was MN as well ( not from dems but the IP)

This poll was taken July 18-20, 2011, and published July 21, 2011. Or part of it was published. The unbiased, balanced reporting of CNN somehow failed to mention how Americans felt about the Republican's CCB/BBA bill passed in the House. You had to read thirteen paragraphs into the story to find any mention of it at all... and then there were no numbers presented.

But the conclusions are clear - at least, when the facts are finally reported. The American people - Democrat and Republican, old and young, male and female, white, black, brown, green, and purple, ALL favor the Republican's CCB/BBA plan that has been passed in the House... and by huge margins.

And this is another of CNN's polls taken simply of "Adults", not registered voters or likely voters. Such polls tend to support liberal causes over conservative causes, far more heavily than subsequent election results of those idea eventually prove. And yet, even with the added leftist bias, the Republicans' plans STILL came out way ahead.

The debate is over. And the identity of the winners and losers are clear: The Republicans' plan has the overwhelming favor of the American people. And President Obama's plan (if you can find it written down anywhere) has failed.

That's news that CNN apparently feels must be buried at all costs.

Same poll results last November. No need to be surprised.

For some reason, the program to balance the budget and reduce the deficit always gets linked to trying to save pet programs. The Left clearly want to save the social programs as they exist right now. The Right is trying to keep government out of the pockets of the rich (supposedly because they are the one ones who create real jobs).

These Left/Right positions have existed for years - they are a part of our political system. They represent the cross-section of the what Americans believe. I suggest we put the issues aside, and look at methods to solve the budget crisis. It seems we must look only at mechanisms, ie. fundamental rules, that require Congress to operate in a fiscally responsible manner.

A Balanced Budget Amendment in the Constitution would have no affect on specific pet programs. The party in power could pass or repeal social programs or cut/raise taxes... so long as the bottom line remains balanced. A BBA is good housekeeping; it doesn't set policy.

Many methods can be used to balance a budget which also do not need to dramatically hold the knife to the throat of any particular ideology. For example, a concentrated effort to make Medicare more efficient would save a lot of money. Redundant tests, overly-conservative doctoring, and spendthrift hospitals was tons of money, not to mention stop outright fraud.

At the same time, our military is severely bloated. Do we really need 10 aircraft carriers and associated support ships constantly roaming the globe? Why are we the only country to have some 6000 bases located overseas? Our defense budget is 10 times what other countries spend.

Our tax code is impossibly complex and has more loopholes than Swiss cheese. I heard Warren Buffet say he thinks the rich should pay more taxes, but who is going to pay taxes when they can get a big mortgage on a house and use it as a tax deduction. I spent my whole life making certain I was taking advantage of every tax loophole. Why? Not because I thought I was paying too much taxes. When if you give me a loophole I will take advantage of it. My mother was a tax deductible expense for 20 years before she died. I did it by buying her an inexpensive condominium, thus paying for more than half her household expenses. When she died I made a huge profit by selling her condo.

Our whole government system of management and operations is hugely inefficient. The CBO has already identified numerous areas where two or more agencies are doing essentially the same thing...

I remember as Vietnam was winding down, the only way anybody could cut unnecessary programs was by Congress simply cutting appropriations. Every agency, including Defense, had to figure out which programs to cut. I was amazed how easily 10% could be cut without pain. The Navy retired a few old, useless ships; the Army had many men who could retire at half pay after 20 years of service. Programs were cut that people never knew even existed.

So a BBA, which requires the budget to be balanced ever year, seems quite reasonable. In the same Amendment we need a mandate that the national debt be eliminated in some reasonable period of time, perhaps 20 years.

No decisions need to be made right now about specific programs or specific tax action. Only a covenant is needed with the American people that our government will forever remain solvent and stay out of debt.

Pleasant, as usual! And very, very knowledgeable too!

Is this what you call "debating?"

you see he thinks that a bill that had been talked about and debated for about a year...is the same as one that was out for about a day and that somehow the whole public really understood it...even while in polls saying the opposite of what the bill said...

You are obviously referring to Obamacare.

We are talking about the debt ceiling negotiations here. Try to keep up.
You don't know what is in the Health Care Act? Or is that just the Official TEA Party stance, along with renaming the act so you can impugn its value by virtue of pretending it is an unpopular piece of legislation?

Werbung:
For some reason, the program to balance the budget and reduce the deficit always gets linked to trying to save pet programs. The Left clearly want to save the social programs as they exist right now. The Right is trying to keep government out of the pockets of the rich (supposedly because they are the one ones who create real jobs).

These Left/Right positions have existed for years - they are a part of our political system. They represent the cross-section of the what Americans believe. I suggest we put the issues aside, and look at methods to solve the budget crisis. It seems we must look only at mechanisms, ie. fundamental rules, that require Congress to operate in a fiscally responsible manner.

A Balanced Budget Amendment in the Constitution would have no affect on specific pet programs. The party in power could pass or repeal social programs or cut/raise taxes... so long as the bottom line remains balanced. A BBA is good housekeeping; it doesn't set policy.

Many methods can be used to balance a budget which also do not need to dramatically hold the knife to the throat of any particular ideology. For example, a concentrated effort to make Medicare more efficient would save a lot of money. Redundant tests, overly-conservative doctoring, and spendthrift hospitals was tons of money, not to mention stop outright fraud.

At the same time, our military is severely bloated. Do we really need 10 aircraft carriers and associated support ships constantly roaming the globe? Why are we the only country to have some 6000 bases located overseas? Our defense budget is 10 times what other countries spend.

Our tax code is impossibly complex and has more loopholes than Swiss cheese. I heard Warren Buffet say he thinks the rich should pay more taxes, but who is going to pay taxes when they can get a big mortgage on a house and use it as a tax deduction. I spent my whole life making certain I was taking advantage of every tax loophole. Why? Not because I thought I was paying too much taxes. When if you give me a loophole I will take advantage of it. My mother was a tax deductible expense for 20 years before she died. I did it by buying her an inexpensive condominium, thus paying for more than half her household expenses. When she died I made a huge profit by selling her condo.

Our whole government system of management and operations is hugely inefficient. The CBO has already identified numerous areas where two or more agencies are doing essentially the same thing...

I remember as Vietnam was winding down, the only way anybody could cut unnecessary programs was by Congress simply cutting appropriations. Every agency, including Defense, had to figure out which programs to cut. I was amazed how easily 10% could be cut without pain. The Navy retired a few old, useless ships; the Army had many men who could retire at half pay after 20 years of service. Programs were cut that people never knew even existed.

So a BBA, which requires the budget to be balanced ever year, seems quite reasonable. In the same Amendment we need a mandate that the national debt be eliminated in some reasonable period of time, perhaps 20 years.

No decisions need to be made right now about specific programs or specific tax action. Only a covenant is needed with the American people that our government will forever remain solvent and stay out of debt.

Agree with everything you say. However, we can't have a balance budget next year while we're so far in the hole this year. So, I would be for a BBA let's say by 2015 and ongoing after that, with incremental steps taken until then.

Loopholes are ridiculous, and only serve those who have money (again). I know. . .we have 5 rental properties. . .we LEGALLY end up showing only about $5,000 a year in income from them! Ridiculous!

The military bases over seas are ridiculous too. Not so much that they shouldn't exist at all (although many shouldn't), but they are HUGELY over budgeted! The military based in Aviano, Italy, pays for house rental off based for the smallest grunt at twice the rate Italians pay rent in that same area! I know. . .my brother rents two of his small homes there to American militaries, and has done so for years.

Medicare would be a lot more cost effective PER CAPITA if it was an open option for anyone who chose it. If medicare was open to people of all ages, instead of only to elderly and disabled, the "risk" would be spread over much healthier population (which is now paying huge premiums to be covered by private for profit industry, while they are basically young and healthy).

It is not that medicare is so inefficient, it is that they cover only those who the "smart" for profit insurance doesn't want to even touch, even with a ten foot pole! Guess why?

I don't think the Left wants to save all entitlement/welfare programs as they exist RIGHT NOW. . .Obama has made clear that he is open to cuts in those programs. . .but let's start by cutting CORPORATE welfare, before we start by cutting social welfare, and let's start by cutting entitlements that are duplicate or subsidies to BIG CORPORATE farms, instead of mom and pop farms.

The Right had made that stupid pledge which is nothing but a smoke screen, an attempt to humor the tea party, because the tea party got bigger than what the GOP had intended when it "created it," and now they are trying to find a way to "tame the monster" who is on it's way to destroy it by splitting the votes in the Republican party.

And politics continue. . .willing to bring America down to its knees.

Back