Technology and the Middle Class

OldTrapper

Warnings about advances in technology destroying the middle class have been around since the days of the "Luddites". However, it now appears they had a point albeit somewhat ahead their time.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/how-technology-wrecks-the-middle-class/?_r=0

Computerization has therefore fostered a polarization of employment, with job growth concentrated in both the highest- and lowest-paid occupations, while jobs in the middle have declined. Surprisingly, overall employment rates have largely been unaffected in states and cities undergoing this rapid polarization. Rather, as employment in routine jobs has ebbed, employment has risen both in high-wage managerial, professional and technical occupations and in low-wage, in-person service occupations.

So computerization is not reducing the quantity of jobs, but rather degrading the quality of jobs for a significant subset of workers. Demand for highly educated workers who excel in abstract tasks is robust, but the middle of the labor market, where the routine task-intensive jobs lie, is sagging. Workers without college education therefore concentrate in manual task-intensive jobs — like food services, cleaning and security — which are numerous but offer low wages, precarious job security and few prospects for upward mobility. This bifurcation of job opportunities has contributed to the historic rise in income inequality.

Werbung:
So as Americans foresaked education in favor of supposed entitlement they got left behind.

This thread dovetails nicely with Walter's thread about troubles in China.

So as Americans foresaked education in favor of supposed entitlement they got left behind.

This thread dovetails nicely with Walter's thread about troubles in China.

Not sure where you got the idea that Americans were left behind. Or is it you missed the part about how technology is creating jobs for the lower classes, and the higher classes, just not for the middle class?

And I guess I will not even speak of what will happen when this technology we are now so dependent on fails as it is bound to.

The issue is that there is more than one way to interpret data. Especially if you opt to manipulate timelines.

High tech always creates opportunity. Henry Ford's assembly line represented hi tech back in the day.

America was the source of high tech for a long time. Not so much any more. Why ? We cant find the smarts like we used to. We became fst dumb and happy.

The issue is that there is more than one way to interpret data. Especially if you opt to manipulate timelines.

High tech always creates opportunity. Henry Ford's assembly line represented hi tech back in the day.

America was the source of high tech for a long time. Not so much any more. Why ? We cant find the smarts like we used to. We became fst dumb and happy.

There was a program on 60 Minutes, or some such, regarding the growth of China, and in that documentary a Chinese entrepreneur admitted that without the innovations of the US China would still be a third world country. The reality is that most innovations are created here in the States, and then sent to China for manufacturing, and then the Chinese steal that technology for their own use. If one was to remember history, back in the 90's Clinton did several favors for the Chinese, and they attempted to pay him for it, and probably did. One was he gave China MFN status allowing them easier trade with the US. Next he sold them them high speed dual use computers which were classified under Bush41. The next thing he did was allow China to obtain our top secret missile guidance system through Loral Corp., and then covered up the transfer of the technology by granting Loral immunity from investigation.

However, to your point, when Ford created the assembly line the Industrial Revolution was in its beginnings. There was room for innovation, and man actually ran the assembly line. Now we have robotics running the assembly line.

The rules that applied in the time of Ford, Kennedy, etc., no longer apply. If you had paid attention to the article, it is not that jobs are not being created, it is the quality of the jobs, and for whom they are being created..

The same rules apply you just dont understand them. The industrial revolution was made possible by a better educated work force. Reading and writtingbecame necessary and thenworking class responded. The "rule" is that you thrive if you are ahead in the education curve. We are no longer so. I read your article, it misses the point regarding cause and effect.

More People Have Gotten Food Stamps Than Jobs Under Obama

White House spokesman Jay Carney said Tuesday the Obama administration has created 7.2 million jobs over the years, but other reports are pointing out that twice that many people have started getting food stamps since President Barack Obama took office.

More than 32 million Americans were receiving assistance from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance program in January 2009, reports The Washington Times. However, by this April, the number has grown to almost 48 million people, or 16 million Americans — more than twice as many as got jobs.

Report shows how recession hit families

WASHINGTON, Aug. 27 (UPI) --
The number of U.S. households with an unemployed parent and a child under 18 living at home soared from 2005 to 2011, a Census Bureau report says.

How about all that job creation under the communist regime.

Hmmm, 2005. Who was in office then? Is that the communist you are speaking of? Of course, since we were losing some 800,000 jobs a month, and Bushies had promised lowering taxes for the wealthy would create jobs, and they still say the same, how many jobs did Bush create? However, since facts are not in your forte, more jobs have been created under Obama in 4 years then under Bush in 8 years.

http://blogs.rgj.com/factchecker/20...s-4-years-than-bushs-8-plus-other-statistics/

More People Have Gotten Food Stamps Than Jobs Under Obama

White House spokesman Jay Carney said Tuesday the Obama administration has created 7.2 million jobs over the years, but other reports are pointing out that twice that many people have started getting food stamps since President Barack Obama took office.

More than 32 million Americans were receiving assistance from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance program in January 2009, reports The Washington Times. However, by this April, the number has grown to almost 48 million people, or 16 million Americans — more than twice as many as got jobs.

Time for another reality check for the one who posts based on emotion, not facts, or reality. Do you realize, if it si possible for you to get away from the right wing propaganda festering in your limited intellect, that 88% of those receiving food stamps are actually employed?

Anyway, try to get some facts if you are going to challenge me:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/20/food-stamps_n_1218248.html

Time for another reality check for the one who posts based on emotion, not facts, or reality. Do you realize, if it si possible for you to get away from the right wing propaganda festering in your limited intellect, that 88% of those receiving food stamps are actually employed?

Anyway, try to get some facts if you are going to challenge me:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/20/food-stamps_n_1218248.html
Huff po ....

Really lefty .... you do realize if I wanted to read left wing propaganda I can do it without you posting wacko links .... right?

those two million who are underemployed now due to the non recovery make up some of those new food stampers. the millions who quite the workforce when the unemployment ran out (many of whom justshifted to disability) are more.

Werbung:
kinda need to add up all the numbers to get the picture complete.
I wonder who Trap feels was responsible for the mortgage implosion ? as he brings up Glass Sthigall (sp?) I suspect I know.
Absolutely right ....

But, I am sure he has 10 pages of propaganda from Mother Jones and Huffpo to dispute it .... will you be reading that garbage?

Back