Ted Stevens is leading

Werbung:
{Sigh}
Well it appear it is likely Stevens will get the most votes, even if that happens I dont know. Alaska just cant be predicted, considering everything that has happened to this point...I am not making any predictions.
But some things to note:
He has not been "convicted" as of yet. He has been found guilty. It is under appeal. Is the line that probably won it for him.
There are lots of uncounted votes as of yet, I think if Begich could pull it off, this whole conversation is moot. Assuming Stevens wins, he still faces a potential expulsion from the Senate. It requires 2/3 vote, none of the six previous sitting Senators "convicted" of felonies survived expulsion in America's history. So it is a matter of 66 votes, considering the individual, I wont speculate on getting that many votes.
Sarah Palin has also called on Stevens to step down, this was the day of his being convicted. She originally said he should "do what is right for Alaskans" then later clarified it by saying he should step down.

Frankly, the political scene in Alaska right now, and over the last 3 months...is beyond fiction. If someone was writing this story for a book, I wouldnt buy it because I thought it beyond a possibility.

I'm assuming that if he wins the Republicans will ask him to step down and appoint a replacement. Am I assuming too much? I predict the Senate will attempt to impeach him if the GOP doesn't deal with this first.

Stolen election in Alaska?

The apparent reelection of convicted felon, Republican Sen. Ted Stevens, raises some interesting questions. First off, in a year in which the polls throughout the country acquitted themselves so well, why were they so far off in Alaska? The final two polls of the Alaskan senate race had Mark Begich leading Stevens by 8 and 22% respectively. Anyway, here are some interesting numbers I came across...if nothing else, they are certainly food for thought..

Four years ago, 313,592 out of 474,740 registered voters in Alaska participated in the election-a 66% turnout. Taking into account 49,000 outstanding ballots, on Tuesday 272,633 out of 495,731 registered Alaskans showed up at the polls; a turnout of 54.9%. That’s a decrease of more than 11% in voter turnout even though passions ran high for and against Barack Obama, as well as for and against Sarah Palin! This year, early voters set a new record. As of last Thursday, with 4 days left to vote early, 15,000 Alaskans showed up-shattering the old record set in 2004 by 28%! Consider the most popular governor in history-and now the most polarizing-was on the Republican ticket. Consider the historic nature of this race; the first African American presidential candidate EVER! The second woman to ever make a presidential ticket; and she’s one of our own. Despite that, we’re supposed to believe that overall participation DECREASED by 11%. Not only that, but this historic election both nationally and for Alaska HAD THE LOWEST ALASKA TURNOUT FOR A PRESIDENTIAL RACE EVER!!! That makes sense. REALLY??? Something stinks.

http://shannynmoore.wordpress.com/2008/11/06/stolen-election-in-alaska/

Re: Stolen election in Alaska?

Personally I want Stevens out for two reasons. 1st Republicans should not act like democrats and kick out anyone seedy. Second I want obama to have as much rope as possible so a dem would be better and the most liberal as possible the better. We cant see the real obama if he cant pass his garbage.

but for fun I just want to say the following, not because I really mean it

Oh Geez Popeye, it sounds like sour grapes to me! Cry Cry Cry do you want a little cheese with that whine. Respect the voters and do your best to get along with the man and at least give him a chance. Take off the tin foil hat now he is a decent man who won fair and square. are you always such a poor looooozer!!!
OK back to serious again. Do you really think he cheated? if so, how? was acorn there? or is there a republican version of acorn working in Alaska?

or... were you joking

Re: Stolen election in Alaska?

you keep saying acorn like it means anything

You do know that on average there are 8 cases of Voter Fraud a year right ( 8 people found guilty)

Voter Reg Fraud is not the same as Voter Fraud. Again I must state the clear simple fact....Mickey Mouse does not show up to actuly vote. Acorn themself pointed out the names they felt where not legit. If I went to a Republican booth and signed up and did not use my real name , would you cry Republcans support voter fraud? No beucse its not there job to Verify evryone, thats why they send them in ....

Only ones who got screwed over was Acorn who most likely paid someone to do a job he or she clearly did not. I have overseen a Election was at the polling place , was the rep who sat and watched the votes counted...I have studied Elections alot, I know somthing about voter fraud...and as much as you cry, signing up does not = jack ...actuly casting a Illegal vote, is a very very differnt thing.

I'm assuming that if he wins the Republicans will ask him to step down and appoint a replacement. Am I assuming too much? I predict the Senate will attempt to impeach him if the GOP doesn't deal with this first.
I think the senate will attempt to expel him, but there is also the very real possibility he could get a last day pardon by Bush, and then what?

In Alaska, because of other past shady Republican dealings, the voters enacted law that says a special election is required to fill vacant federal offices.

I think the senate will attempt to expel him, but there is also the very real possibility he could get a last day pardon by Bush, and then what?

In Alaska, because of other past shady Republican dealings, the voters enacted law that says a special election is required to fill vacant federal offices.

I am not sure that the Senate really acts to expel him. The Senate is typically much more forgiving of this type of thing.

I am not sure that the Senate really acts to expel him. The Senate is typically much more forgiving of this type of thing.
Harry Ried has called for expulsion. Sarah Palin asked for him to step down. I am not making any predictions at this point.
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/11/02/Reid_Stevens_faces_Senate_expulsion/UPI-44611225671112/

The United States Constitution gives the Senate the power to expel any member by a two-thirds vote. This is distinct from the impeachment power the Senate has over executive and judicial federal officials. The Supreme Court determined in 1797 that Senators could not be impeached, but only expelled.

Expulsion is an extremely rare event. It has not actually occurred since the Civil War, which most of the expulsions were related to, although this is partly because many members resign rather than face a formal proceeding when expulsion appears possible. Censure, a lesser punishment which represents a formal statement of disapproval, has been more common in the last century. Although censure carries no formal punishment, only one Senator (Benjamin R. Tillman) of the nine to be censured has ever been re-elected.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_senators_expelled_or_censured

Werbung:
if he leaves the gov is who puts in the next person, I hope she puts herself in :)

Like Bunz stated a special election must be called, Palin might be able at appoint someone temporarily but from my understanding she can't appoint herself. What she could do is resign, then the Lt. Gov would take over and he could then appoint Palin to the senate seat until a special election is held.

This election might not be over yet though. Fivethirtyeight who predicted Obama's winning percentage within .1% makes the case that the votes that have yet to be counted still might swing the election to Begich....

Back