Tehran people’s uprising after sham presidential elections

Werbung:
Im gonna leave both of the threads about the same subject up for discussion for the time being. I dont like the current President of Iran, and hope(probably aimlessly) that the students will manage to overthrow Amahdihijihad. One thing I did notice that is worth asking about, is why the words police are on the riot shields and not some sort of Persian, or another language that does not use western characters. Basically the local diatalec.

What I am wondering is where is Jimmy Carter? He has been around during other elections to say if they were valid or not and he wanted the United Nations to come oversee our elections in 2004. Why is he not speaking up? Though he would probably make things worse by declaring the current president the winner, I still wonder why he has not reared his ugly head.

I guess he is too busy trying to tell obama to remove Hamas from the terror list ugh!

I feel sorry for Iran, they are stuck with a crazy leader, the people are nice and just want a normal life and they can not have it with this current president or with the way things are set up there. And there is no one willing or able to help them.

Its just sad all the way around.

Its just sad all the way around.

I guess its just growing pains, Iran is neither one thing nor another it’s a strange dichotomy between a mediaeval theocracy and modern industrial nation. On the one hand you have the supreme leader that has absolute rule backed up with the IRG and the religious militias and then the people that want to be treated as people. It’s a strange situation in that the basis of the Islamic Republic is based on the 4 pillars one of them being education, you educate a middle class but expect them to conform to the absolute will of the Supreme Leader – something has to give and these elections seem to be the tipping point.

That said the majority of the population are extremely happy with the Supreme Leader and indeed the majority of the rural population support Ahmadinejad so is it just the liberal urban educated eilite to whom Mousavi appealed? Certainly his popularity is highest among those of the wealthier suburbs of Tehran and the other major cities.

Whether the momentum of the protest will continue is frankly anyone’s guess but there certainly seems to be cracks in the Guardians Council as there are an awful lot of conflicting messages being sent out! For my money Ahmadinejad is as safe as houses! To some extent this may be the best option in the short term as having a stable government would be the best option for Obama and his stated policies towards Iran - I think the last thing he and the world needs at the moment is in-fighting and rival factions within the ruling circles as this would make any diplomatic advances almost impossible.

Anyway I wish the protesters well and hope that there are no further killings as this serves no-ones interests.

gallery-afteriranelection2.jpg

gallery-iranviolence1.jpg

Again with the English characters in the last picture. It makes me wonder who is really behind the protests. Something seems fishy.

Werbung:
Hi Bunz, I wouldn't worry too much about the English on these placards as they majority of the Tehran protesters are educated middle class and students. Also, the picture was taken for a western audience and thus would have been lost on the viewers if it had been written in Farsi.

Back