1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

The Al Qaeda Exageration

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by Popeye, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

The Al Qaeda Exaggeration

Interesting viewpoint on the real strength of Al Qaeda. What insurgents there are, come from US allies.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/22/world/middleeast/22fighters.html?hp

2. USMC the Almighty

USMC the Almighty New Member

Thanks for reminding me why I cancelled my NY Times subscription a while back. It is truly amazing that such a well-known organization could just flat out lie.

"We have no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved with the 11 September attacks." -- President Bush

May I direct you to the numerous examples of thwarted AQ terrorist plots posted in my most recent thread? Perhaps we should let a few be successful to remind some of the liberals exactly what we are fighting for. There are the families of 3,000 Americans who would disagree that AQ is an "anemic threat".

It sounds like Michael Moore repeatedly exclaiming "there is no terrorist threat!"

Are you willing to apply the same logic to healthcare, global warming, etc. Of course not. Of course not. We'd rather fight carbon emissions than Islamic fascists, right Popeye?

One last thing that I think I should add. The Iranians didn't just appear out of nowhere. There were hundreds of Iranians caught by SF in Afghanistan before the "official" war even started.

3. palerider

palerider Well-Known Member

You hit that one on the head USMC. The sad thing is that there is a certain group of people who depend upon rags like the ny times for thier news and believe them without question.

We could only wish that if terrorists are going to target Americans, that it would be those who refuse to see them as a threat in spite of the overwhelming evidence.

4. Bunz

Bunz New Member

Now my Jarheaded buddy, in the name of full disclosure, there was a time when the Bush Administration was widely touting this, as I am sure you are aware.

When it comes to AQ, while they certainly are a threat to Americans, I think the scare tactics the current administration uses is a bit over the top. We need to always be wary of any terrorists AQ or another group or individual aside. That being said, I dont think we need to change our basic way of life, function of government as a result of thier actions or under fear of something happening.

5. palerider

Could you provide some quotes from the bush administration? If they were widely touting such a thing, quotes shouldn't be hard to come by.

I recall the administration rightly saying that iraq supported terrorism, and that they had ties to al queda, but I don't recall them ever saying that iraq was involved in 9/11. I believe that was an invalid connection made and reported by the members of the press and gobbled up by a particular segment of the public who is willing to believe anything said about the administration so long as it is negative.

6. USMC the Almighty

I hear this a lot and don't really understand it. We have traditionally always adapted to the current threat to best protect Americans -- WW2 being the most obvious example.

7. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

Bush letter to Congress (3-21-03) read the second paragraph, and you tell me what impression he was trying to give. http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/03/20030321-5.html

8. palerider

Nothing there suggesting that iraq was involved in 9/11. Instead of reading between the lines, you should simply stick to the words.

9. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

"Nothing was suggested"? Then why did almost 70% of the public, before the Iraqi invasion, think Saddam was involved? I'll tell you why, Bush administration officials insinuated that there was a link between Saddam Hussein and al Qaeda.

Look at these remarks by Dick Cheney, on NBC's "Meet the Press." In three appearances dating back to December 2001, Cheney said there is information suggesting that Sept. 11 hijacker Mohamed Atta met with an Iraqi intelligence official in Prague months before the attack, a story that the FBI, the CIA and the Czech government all said was fictional (Atta was in the United States at the time of the alleged meeting).

On another appearance, Tim Russert questioned him about the public's perception of a Saddam-al Qaeda link. Cheney's answer, "I think it's not surprising that people make that connection." Russert asked directly if such a connection existed. Cheney said, "We don't know." Later, in the show Cheney called Iraq, "the geographic base of the terrorists who had us under assault mow for many years, but most especially on 9/11."

Wait a minute, I thought "the geographic base of the terrorists", was Afghanistan. Isn't that why we invaded?

Lies, insinuations, connections made with no supporting evidence, all meant to dupe the public into supporting the invasion. Count yourself among the duped.

10. heyjude

heyjude New Member

The public is always willing to believe threats against the US. I truly think we are a cowardly people. The slightest threat, even a vague hint of one, and we want to kill every man, woman, and child in sight.

I realize that my words are perhaps offensive to many, but consider the reaction of our fearless leaders and the country about Afghanistan. We were going to bomb them back to the stone age. That means effectivelly killing every man, woman, and child.

We want to nuke Iran. And many think we should have nuked Iraq. Hey, there's still time. And the threat from the countries is minimal.

11. USMC the Almighty

No, a truly cowardly people would want to appease and accomodate the enemy at the expense of our principles and way of life. Standing up and directly confronting the threat is not the least bit cowardly.

12. Lasher

Lasher New Member

13. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

....Or, at the very-least, made ZERO-efforts to dispel the Public's-perception there was a link between Hussein & 9/11.

14. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

Welllllllllllllll.....ya' gotta give the Bush-Admin credit for using tried-and-true methods. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

15. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

.....Especially when The Admin conveniently-forgot the lessons-of-the-Past. :rolleyes: