The biblical conundrum

Dawkinsrocks

Christians come in many flavours but for the purpose of this thread they fall into two categories

Those who believe the bible is a fax from God and thus literally true

Those who think the bible needs to be interpreted and is largely allegorical

The first group have to believe that the sun goes round the earth which means they are mad

The second have no mechanism for determining who can accurately decode the bible, which bits are allegorical and why one interpretation is any more valid than another. This means they can't reliably accept any of the bible so using it as a manual for life means they are mad.

Which group are you in?

Werbung:
Throughout time, skeptics have said the Bible as mythological, but archeology has confirmed it as historical. Opponents have attacked its teaching as primitive and outdated, but its moral and legal concepts and teachings have had a positive influence on societies and cultures throughout the world. It continues to be attacked by science, psychology, and political movements, yet it remains just as true and relevant today as it was when it was first written. It is a book that has transformed countless lives and cultures throughout the last 2000 years. No matter how its opponents try to attack, destroy, or discredit it, the Bible remains; its impact on so many lives is unmistakable. The accuracy which has been preserved despite every attempt to corrupt, attack, or destroy it is clear testimony to the fact that the Bible is truly God’s word. It should not surprise us that, no matter how the Bible is attacked, it always comes out unchanged and unscathed. After all, Jesus said, “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away”. After looking at the evidence, one can say without a doubt that, yes, the Bible is truly God’s Word.I think i must be on of the crazy people, and proud of it..

Why are so many athiests so interested in wanting to talk/argue about religion anyway?

Why are so many athiests so interested in wanting to talk/argue about religion anyway?

a) they feel all superior with their cut-n-paste banal arguments
b)they're hoping for some sort of validation insted of just believing as they do
c) its been too long between Trekkie conventions

For the purposes of this thread a false dichotomy results in a false conclusion.

In reality I doubt there is a single Christian in America who thinks both that the entirety of the Bible is literally true (as opposed to just a true document that contains all sorts of literature including allegory and prose and poetry...) and that the sun revolves around the Earth.

Interestingly, both the Copernican system (Sun is center of the Universe) and the Tychonic system (Earth is center of the Universe) were based on math and science first and resorted to biblical proofs as a secondary line of reasoning. Both were examples of science in error rather than of theology in error.

There are indeed those who use a flexible measuring stick with their view of the bible and yes for them no one interpretation can be truly better than another. As a generality these people are liberals first and Christians second.

For the purposes of this thread a false dichotomy results in a false conclusion.

In reality I doubt there is a single Christian in America who thinks both that the entirety of the Bible is literally true (as opposed to just a true document that contains all sorts of literature including allegory and prose and poetry...) and that the sun revolves around the Earth.

Interestingly, both the Copernican system (Sun is center of the Universe) and the Tychonic system (Earth is center of the Universe) were based on math and science first and resorted to biblical proofs as a secondary line of reasoning. Both were examples of science in error rather than of theology in error.

There are indeed those who use a flexible measuring stick with their view of the bible and yes for them no one interpretation can be truly better than another. As a generality these people are liberals first and Christians second.

I believe that the Holy Spirit, when asked, will reveal the truth to you irrespective of what Bible you pick up. Of course Satan will do the same so careful what you ask for.

I believe that the Holy Spirit, when asked, will reveal the truth to you irrespective of what Bible you pick up. Of course Satan will do the same so careful what you ask for.

I agree that no matter what bible one picks up one can find truth. I also agree that many people will still walk away believing something other than truth.

I would even go so far as to say that an ignorant and oppressed woman living in a Muslim country who has only access to Muslim texts will also be shown enough truth to have a saving belief in God but of course many will walk away without such salvation.

I agree that no matter what bible one picks up one can find truth. I also agree that many people will still walk away believing something other than truth.

I would even go so far as to say that an ignorant and oppressed woman living in a Muslim country who has only access to Muslim texts will also be shown enough truth to have a saving belief in God but of course many will walk away without such salvation.

Kind of why I feel its mandatory to heed the Holy Spirit. We are all mortal and subject to the frailties of desire. Need something free of that to gird us.

If the King James Bible is the literal word of God; then, surely, God must have been an Englishman named Francis Bacon.

It is an incredibly fascinating topic it has philosophical undertones, moral implications, political implications, and social implications. If religion and religious behaviour only affected those within the religious groups I think you would find that very few atheists would bother with it. Religion and the behaviour associated with it does not exist inside a vacuum but spreads into all areas of life. Once you enter an idea into a public forum it is open for discussion and criticism and to suggest you have the right to be spared criticism is pure folly. Seriously as someone who cites a biblical verse in their signature on a internet forum and then goes into a religious section of that forum; how can you have the audacity to condemn people for speaking of this topic?

Throughout time, skeptics have said the Bible as mythological, but archeology has confirmed it as historical.

Examples of archaeological evidence for this assertion.
Opponents have attacked its teaching as primitive and outdated, but its moral and legal concepts and teachings have had a positive influence on societies and cultures throughout the world.
What moral concepts and what are these influences?

It continues to be attacked by science, psychology, and political movements, yet it remains just as true and relevant today as it was when it was first written. It is a book that has transformed countless lives and cultures throughout the last 2000 years.

Again I have to ask you justify this in some way.

No matter how its opponents try to attack, destroy, or discredit it, the Bible remains; its impact on so many lives is unmistakable.
Certainly it has impact but so does taking a cricket bat one's skull, this says nothing of the supposed beneficial influences of the text.
The accuracy which has been preserved despite every attempt to corrupt, attack, or destroy it is clear testimony to the fact that the Bible is truly God’s word.
Despite contradicting accounts of singular historical events contained within the text?

It should not surprise us that, no matter how the Bible is attacked, it always comes out unchanged and unscathed. After all, Jesus said, “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away”
. After looking at the evidence, one can say without a doubt that, yes, the Bible is truly God’s Word.I think i must be on of the crazy people, and proud of it..

So where is this evidence?

People who think the Bible is the literal word of God tend to cherry pick this ancient document for their own
purposes. Supposedly, the Bible condemsn homosexuality and homosexuals, and calls homosexuality "an abomination".
But it also says that eating shellfish is an abomination. Yet, as far as I know, there is not a single Christian in America
who thinks that all seafood restaurants should be closed, and the shrimp,lobster, and crab industries should be shut down,
and they don't mind eating shellfish in the least, unless they happen not to like it or are allergic to it .
The Bible also condemns wearing clothes with two kinds of fabric on it . It states that menstruating women are "unclean" and
must be quarantined during their periods. As well as reqiring that parents put their children to death if they are stubborn,
disrespectful and disobedient . But you don't see devout evangelical Christians putting their children to death for sassing them .
The Bible also says that any one who works on the Sabbath must be put to death . But I can't think of any Christian in
America who advocates doing this .
We also don't sacrifice animals to God any more . Christians should at least be consistent .

People who think the Bible is the literal word of God tend to cherry pick this ancient document for their own
purposes. Supposedly, the Bible condemsn homosexuality and homosexuals, and calls homosexuality "an abomination".
But it also says that eating shellfish is an abomination. Yet, as far as I know, there is not a single Christian in America
who thinks that all seafood restaurants should be closed, and the shrimp,lobster, and crab industries should be shut down,
and they don't mind eating shellfish in the least, unless they happen not to like it or are allergic to it .
The Bible also condemns wearing clothes with two kinds of fabric on it . It states that menstruating women are "unclean" and
must be quarantined during their periods. As well as reqiring that parents put their children to death if they are stubborn,
disrespectful and disobedient . But you don't see devout evangelical Christians putting their children to death for sassing them .
The Bible also says that any one who works on the Sabbath must be put to death . But I can't think of any Christian in
America who advocates doing this .
We also don't sacrifice animals to God any more . Christians should at least be consistent .

You refer to Hebrew Law, I'm a Christian. Christ fulfilled that covenant and gave us another. Kind of need to read the whole thing to pick up on these things.

Werbung:
Back