The German Movie "The Boat"

Jason76

Please don't read if you haven't seen it, cause I don't want to spoil the ending. Anyhow, do you feel sympathy for the struggle of the crew, considering what the Nazis did to the Jews, disabled, Russians etc..? How aware do you think various German military units, as well as the regular population, were of the Nazi campaign against the Jews? Well, obviously they all knew the government was as anti-semitic as present day Iran.

Werbung:
That's the thing, not all soldiers in the German army were Nazis, they were just pressed into service.
Those on board 'The Boat' had a tough time and what they did and went through makes them worthy of praise no matter the side they fought on.

Ending was a bit of a sh!tter though!

Actually, the ending was awesome because it went against the norm. Generally, you expect the ending to be happy. It's the cliche ending of a lot of movies. Ultimately the movie was a classic tragedy of an epic scale. However, not in the sense of being a bad movie.

Did you read about the making of that film?
The cast were not allowed outside during the filming to stay as pale as possible (not always in the submarine model but at least always in a building).
I remember watching is when it as called 'Das Boot' in German and it was subtitled, I'm guessing from the name 'The Boat' it has been translated?

Did you read about the making of that film?
The cast were not allowed outside during the filming to stay as pale as possible (not always in the submarine model but at least always in a building).
I remember watching is when it as called 'Das Boot' in German and it was subtitled, I'm guessing from the name 'The Boat' it has been translated?

Actually, to make them look pale, they could have just used makeup. Maybe Michael Jackson could have gave them some pointers. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, it's also true that the author of the book didn't like the film. He claimed certain scenes were not realistic. However, authors often disagree with directors. For instance, Stephen King didn't like the movie The Shining. He claimed the Jack Nicholson character was too predictable, considering one of his last films was One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. He wanted a character, who wasn't associated in the public mind with insanity, to go insane.

Das Boot is the boat traslated.
Most had some idea of what the Nazis were up to but few the extent.
Anti semetic sentiment was (is) not unusual there and that lent a bit of who cares attitude to it.

Around the world, many soldiers/military personnel are forced to follow orders that completely go against their beliefs. This will always happen and you can definitely see their struggle. I know a lot of American soldiers that came home from Middle Eastern conflicts and have many issues because they had to kill children that were strapped with explosives, etc. Even if their service is voluntary and not compulsory, you never know down the road what situations your country will put you in when you're a soldier.

I think most people separate the German Troops, from the SS and Nazi's. Even on Shows like Hogans Heros the Normal German troops where just doing a job, and you just think Klink is a fool, and Shultz just wants to get threw the war and not get sent to the front, he could care less about nazi's. But anyone anyone from the SS shows up they are always evil bad and you hate them. Also some like the Rommel where just great Generals , and had played a role in almost killing Hitler for us ( though of course they may have won then), but cared little about the whole Nazi thing.

Please don't read if you haven't seen it, cause I don't want to spoil the ending. Anyhow, do you feel sympathy for the struggle of the crew, considering what the Nazis did to the Jews, disabled, Russians etc..? How aware do you think various German military units, as well as the regular population, were of the Nazi campaign against the Jews? Well, obviously they all knew the government was as anti-semitic as present day Iran.
What are you? A crusader for the Jews?

Around the world, many soldiers/military personnel are forced to follow orders that completely go against their beliefs. This will always happen and you can definitely see their struggle. I know a lot of American soldiers that came home from Middle Eastern conflicts and have many issues because they had to kill children that were strapped with explosives, etc. Even if their service is voluntary and not compulsory, you never know down the road what situations your country will put you in when you're a soldier.
What you say might be applicable to camp guards. But it is not applicable to front line troops at all.

Das Boot is the boat traslated.
Most had some idea of what the Nazis were up to but few the extent.
Anti semetic sentiment was (is) not unusual there and that lent a bit of who cares attitude to it.
I have tried to trace German anti-Semitism to its roots and it seems that it spawned during WW1 with the notion that Jews were evading front line duty. Adolf talks about this in his book, but I do not know if this was a general impression as well or if it was one of his own impressions. The WW1 issue is mentioned by Hochschild in his book "To End All Wars." Other than the Catholic inquisitions across Medieval Europe I could not find anything else in literature about the source. I have spoken with immigrants from Germany to the USA who left around 1925 to come to America and they said anti-Semitism was already ripe and growing strong even at that early date. So WW1 does not seem out of the question as the modern source in Germany.

The history of anti-semitism is much older, basically since 1800. One example is a dominican priest who claimed in 1778 that Pontius Pilatus, Herodes Antipas und Judas Ischariot made a jewish plot to murder Jesus.
Well one Dominican priest does not an army make.

As far as I can tell, WW1 ushered anti Semitism into Europe for the first time in several hundred years.

My only sources are Hochschild's book and Adolf's book. And Hochschild may have gotten his info from Adolf.

So Adolf's claim may be the only one for it.

Adolf took it to a new level of course. He must have been insane with hate for some reason. The best guess is the art academy rejection. The director was supposedly Jewish.

The reason given for Adolf's rejection was was because he had never learned to draw human faces.

So Adolf was apparently projecting his own fault onto others, by that analysis.

I know of other sources from Europe around 1925 which were also anti Semitic and completely independent of Adolf. Therefore some other reason must have also existed for Adolf to promote it.

The whole Nazi thing with Jews was mainly a reaction to the Russian Revolution which most people at the time viewed as a massive threat to the existing social order. On top of this fact, Germany is very close to the Soviet Union. Finally, it was thought the suffering of the Germans under the Weimar Republic as well as Germany's loss in World War II could be pinned on Jews.

Werbung:
The whole Nazi thing with Jews was mainly a reaction to the Russian Revolution which most people at the time viewed as a massive threat to the existing social order. On top of this fact, Germany is very close to the Soviet Union. Finally, it was thought the suffering of the Germans under the Weimar Republic as well as Germany's loss in World War II could be pinned on Jews.
It would be nice if you would quote your sources about where you have read whatever you are saying.

Otherwise if you cannot quote sources you are just spreading more gossip.

My sources which I quoted are "To End All Wars" by Hochschild, and "Mein Kampf" by Adolf himself.

Back