The Kennedy - Lincoln Connection

Pandora

Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.
John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.
John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.
Both wives lost their children while living in the White House.

Both Presidents were shot on a Friday.
Both Presidents were shot in the head.

TheLincoln's secretary was named Kennedy.
Kennedy's Secretary was named Lincoln.

Both were assassinated by Southerners.
Both were succeeded by Southerners named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.
Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.

John Wilkes Booth, who assassinated Lincoln, was born in 1839.
Lee Harvey Oswald, who assassinated Kennedy, was born in 1939.

Both assassins were known by their three names.
Both names are composed of fifteen letters.

Lincoln was shot at the theater named 'Ford'.
Kennedy was shot in a car called 'Lincoln' made by 'Ford'.
Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.

A week before Lincoln was shot, he was in Monroe, Maryland.
A week before Kennedy was shot, he was in Marilyn Monroe.

The last line was not nice :(

I did not write this or check out the facts but I thought it was strange and someone might like to read it.

Werbung:
Interesting, but I'm sure I could draw some uncanny comparisons between my life and yours if I went around picking things out like "Lincoln was shot at the theater named 'Ford'. Kennedy was shot in a car called 'Lincoln' made by 'Ford'."

Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.

This is not accurate. Depending on which version you believe, Booth was:
...killed in a shoot-out by US Marshals a couple weeks later. or he:
...escaped due to mistaken identity (someone misidentified another body as his) and died ofg natural causes around 1900.

Either way, hardly an assassination.

This post has been floating round the boards for years! Anyway here's another amazing fact; Lincoln was a great man Kennedy was a prat :D

grassy_knoll.jpg

A grassy Knoll :p

This is not accurate. Depending on which version you believe, Booth was:
...killed in a shoot-out by US Marshals a couple weeks later. or he:
...escaped due to mistaken identity (someone misidentified another body as his) and died ofg natural causes around 1900.

Either way, hardly an assassination.

I didn't check the facts on any of it. I am glad you pointed that out. now I will go read about it :)

I some how always thought he was caught in a barn with a gun shot to his leg and burned alive. but then again i remember reading about a doctor who fixed his leg and spent the rest of his life in prison for it.

even if 1/2 of the things were true, I think its really odd.

Here's some worthwhile reading: the man who (allegedly) shot John Wilkes Booth was plumb crazy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Corbett

Some highlights:

He eventually took on the trade of a hatter in Troy, New York. There has been speculation that the use of mercury as part of the hatter's trade was the cause of Corbett's later mental problems.

On July 16, 1858, in order to avoid the temptation of prostitutes, Corbett castrated himself with a pair of scissors. Afterward, he ate a meal and went to a prayer meeting, before going for medical treatment.

Overhearing a conversation in which the legislature's opening prayer was mocked, he jumped to his feet, pulled out his revolver, and waved his gun. No one was hurt. Corbett was arrested, declared insane, and sent to the Topeka Asylum for the Insane.

And to top it all off, after escaping from the nuthouse, we don't know what the hell happened to him.

Corbett possibly settled in the forests near Hinckley, Minnesota and died in the Great Hinckley Fire that took place there on September 1, 1894. There is no definitive proof of his demise, but the name "Thomas Corbett" appears on the list of the dead and missing.

Fun guy.

Ill just chime in here if nobody minds:D
Jarlax brings up an old consiracy that I think has been put to rest. While it is true, that Booth and Oswald never faced trial for thier crimes, there are far to many eyewitnesses to Booth never making it out of the fire to realistically claim he actually lived out his days and died naturally. Let us keep in mind that in those days, phots were expensive and hard to come by. There are quite a few people who have claimed to be X old west robber cowboy etc long after they died.
Now in terms of Booth, it is well known he broke his leg when he jumped onto the stage after the shooting. The controversy really surrounds if he was shot in the head or lower neck and his body was burned, or if he actually burned alive.
The barn was totally surrounded and on fire. He had a severely broken leg, with no pain medication or modern methods of treating a broken leg. There is no way he could have escaped the area without being caught.

In terms of the poem, I have seen it before. I agree about the bottom line. Its a pretty low blow. The coincidences are uncanny to say the least, I know the names are all correct, but am not 100% on the dates of birth.

I didnt have the chance to read the book. But where I live, the one radio station carried an NPR program called Radio Reader. It played an book over a 2 week time called "Manhunt" By James L. Swanson. I happened to be out at hunting camp and only had enough batteries to listen to radio 2 hours a day. One was the news, the other was radio reader.

I think the thing that Americans take for granted is that Booth at the time was a national celebrity before the assasination. His family was already famous for thier play craft, he was certainly a well known actor himself at the time, the modern equivalent of a movie star.

Werbung:
Abraham Lincoln's death revisited

Just found this which adds a slant to the thread.....

By Lisa M. Krieger
Mercury News
Article Launched: 04/14/2008 01:35:27 AM PDT

Did John Wilkes Booth shoot a dying man?

That's the controversial conclusion reached by Palo Alto physician and amateur historian John Sotos, who says that President Abraham Lincoln was suffering from a lethal genetic cancer syndrome when he was shot at Ford's Theatre 143 years ago today.

"Lincoln was a rare man with a rare disease," said Sotos. He has self-published a 300-page book and 400-page database to support his conclusion, based on an exhaustive analysis of Lincoln photographs and historical eyewitness descriptions of the president's health. "This solves a puzzle."

While most Americans only reflect on dead presidents during long weekends in February, Sotos and other physician historians pore over ancient accounts of long-gone symptoms, studying aches and pains as if the patient had stepped out of the grave into the clinic.

These hobbyists have crafted a collection of retrospective diagnoses: George Washington may have suffered dementia during his last years in office; James Madison suffered seizures; Calvin Coolidge grew depressed after the death of his son; after a lifetime of heavy drinking, Franklin Pierce died of cirrhosis of the liver.

Lincoln's health has fascinated medical sleuths. In 1962, it was suggested that his great height and long limbs were linked to a genetic disorder called Marfan syndrome. Others have proposed alternate ailments - Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, perhaps, or Stickler syndrome. Some say he suffered from depression or exhaustion.

The late president's health had long puzzled Sotos.

Last year, while assembling a medical database about the 16th president, Sotos read an unrelated article about thyroid cancer, the deadly and inevitable outcome of multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2B, or MEN 2B.

Many of the symptoms matched Lincoln's, and at 3:15 a.m., Sotos made a link. The condition, which causes aggressive thyroid cancer, explains Lincoln's lanky build, chronic constipation, hooded eyes, asymmetric jaw and the lumps on his lips, he said. His health was weakening in the months prior to the assassination, Sotos asserts.

The medical community is divided on the theory.

"Sotos has presented a very compelling case," said Dr. Charis Eng, director of the Genomic Medicine Institute of the Cleveland Clinic Foundation. "It is fascinating. But the jury is still out."

More skeptical is Dr. Jeffrey F. Moley, an expert in the disease at Washington University in St. Louis. "I strongly doubt that Lincoln had MEN 2B. I have seen a hundred patients with MEN 2B and I see none of the characteristic features. It's very, very unlikely."

20080414_013837_4.14.lincoln.jpg

This isn't the first president Sotos has diagnosed, living or dead.

He's compiled meticulous medical histories on all 43 U.S. presidents - as well as Vice President Dick Cheney ("a vasculopath with an almost 30-year history of coronary atherosclerosis.") He diagnosed severe sleep apnea in William Taft and graphed the president's weight gains and losses.

Other projects include a "Periodic Table of the Senators," where legislators are arranged horizontally from the liberal left to the conservative right, in shades of blue and red. He's compiled biographies of every NASA astronaut and designed an online calculator that weighs the risk of mad cow disease vs. heart attack.

A cardiologist, colonel and chief flight surgeon in the California Air National Guard, Sotos is also a medical consultant to the TV show "House, M.D." and has founded the company Apneos, which builds devices to treat sleep apnea.

"I enjoy peeling back the boundaries of my ignorance," he said. His interests are so vast that Sotos earned his math degree from Dartmouth and a medical degree from Johns Hopkins before coming to Palo Alto to study artificial intelligence at Stanford.

Unmarried, the 50-year-old surrounds himself with rich friendships. An insatiable reader, Sotos walks the Stanford "Dish" trail two hours a day - nose in a book.

"It's paved. Except for the time I stepped on a snake, it's completely safe."

Longtime friend and former Johns Hopkins colleague Dr. Hugh Rienhoff calls him "a polymath - a fascinating character who works completely outside the system, adapting to whatever the problem is and moving with ease, rather than being straitjacketed.

"When he focuses, he becomes consumed - which lets him get to the level of granularity that he does," he said. "Once he puts his mind on something, he gets down to bedrock."

Only a DNA sample will prove if Lincoln might have soon died a natural death had Booth lost his nerve. That sample won't come from Lincoln; he's buried in concrete. It won't come from his living descendants; there are none. Only a precious sample of blood, from a saved swath of soiled fabric, would be definitive.

Until then, history offers the best clues.

"Physicians have an obligation to investigate everything that may shed light on their patient's health," said Sotos.

"I have simply approached Lincoln as if he were my patient."

IF YOU'RE INTERESTED

Information on Sotos' book can be found at www.physical-lincoln.com/

Back