The most politically incorrect thread of all time.

Now, you have a good point. Does stopping someone because they might have been drinking constitute an unreasonable search? How about setting up roadblocks and checking anyone who happens by?

While I agree with the goal of getting the drunks off of the road, that seems to me to be on pretty shaky grounds from a Constitutional standpoint.

That's the point at the heart of this thread.

Werbung:
In all my years of going out, I've never seen a cop waiting outside of a bar to catch people.

That said, the walk to my car is where I start the process of concentration. Even if I've had quite a bit to drink, I "warm up" by walking soberly to my car. hey, I don't want to be the first person I know arrested as I drive out of the bar parking lot.

Road blocks to stop everyone seems horrible to me unless there is a major outbreak of some virus or something big.

We have the right to go from point A to B without being checked, at least we should.

If you see someone driving wrong, not using signals exc, then pull them over but just stopping everyone is wrong and making up reasons to stop them is wrong.

I would have thought you would agree with me on that one.

love your new avatar by the way, Im so glad to see lou dobbs gone :)

I do agree with that. As long as we tolerate such as random roadblocks, as well as other violations of the Bill of Rights, they will go on.

So, you don't like my buddy, Lou? I think he's right on when he talks about illegal immigrants, don't you?

As for the new av, it seems to fit my self image.:D

I do agree with that. As long as we tolerate such as random roadblocks, as well as other violations of the Bill of Rights, they will go on.

So, you don't like my buddy, Lou? I think he's right on when he talks about illegal immigrants, don't you?

As for the new av, it seems to fit my self image.:D

Yeah if we dont stop them at some point they "the government" will just get stronger and take more of our rights away. I think the dems and repubs both protect "certian" rights while trashing others. I want them all protected.

I have no good reason to not like him but I dont like him. I agree with him on immigration though, I might even be tougher than him on that topic.

I dont like Bill O, I dont like Joe in the morning, I dont like a lot of them.

I like Glenn Beck and Rachel Maddow, though I never agree with her, I still like her.

Yeah if we dont stop them at some point they "the government" will just get stronger and take more of our rights away. I think the dems and repubs both protect "certian" rights while trashing others. I want them all protected.

Exactly. The price of liberty is eternal vigilance. Right now, it doesn't look as if many are willing to pay the price.
Random roadblocks, asset forfeiture, warrentless wiretapping, draconian drug laws, unconstitutional gun bans, they all are a part of the same pattern.

Exactly. The price of liberty is eternal vigilance. Right now, it doesn't look as if many are willing to pay the price.
Random roadblocks, asset forfeiture, warrentless wiretapping, draconian drug laws, unconstitutional gun bans, they all are a part of the same pattern.

I am glad some are awake and talking about it. I feel like we are all sleeping. some of us wake up for certian hot button issues but in general sleep through the rest.

I had not pondered this till you brought it up, I am glad you did!

Now see! You can make your point without acting childish.

I disagree with you on the Sharpness factor simply because I'm more cautious at the wheel when I've been drinking. When I'm completely sober, my mind is probably wandering all over the place. Things that happened at work, things I need to be doing, what the rest of the week looks like. When I know that one stop for one even minor violation could mean that I get arrested for DUI, that keeps my mind on what I'm doing. I drive defensively and keep my eyes open.

Perhaps my reflexes are slowed a bit, but I compensate with defensive driving. I don't allow myself to get into situations that require quick reflexes.

How's this for deadly serious... you need to seek help. If you seriously have convinced yourself that you're a BETTER driver drunk than sober... because sober "your mind wanders around"... you need counseling not a beer.

I'm really very surprised. Most people by the time they say they're 53 are more responsible than this.

If you could please just post one... just one... study that's EVER BEEN CONDUCTED anywhere around the entire world that shows drinking "helps" driving skills I'd LOVE to see it.

But of course you can't for one very good reason... because that whole premise is ludicrous.

How's this for deadly serious... you need to seek help. If you seriously have convinced yourself that you're a BETTER driver drunk than sober... because sober "your mind wanders around"... you need counseling not a beer.

I'm really very surprised. Most people by the time they're 53 are more responsible than this. But hey you could be 17 we have no idea.

I guess when we don't hear from ya we'll know what happened. Good luck...

I am so SURE that you are genuinely concerned for my well being.:rolleyes:

I am so SURE that you are genuinely concerned for my well being.:rolleyes:

I know you think I'm just busting your balls but I'm really not. I'm 52 and I myself felt EXACTLY like you do now... but it was back when I was in my 20's.

In fact we used to buy these plastic cling labels that when wrapped around a beer can made it look like a Mountain Dew or Pepsi can just so it was easier to drink & drive. And I just like you also thought the exact same thing... that I was a lot more careful when I was drinking and driving and it was ok.

But then there were times when I knew I was really just lucky I didn't get pulled over on the way home from the bar because I felt the effects and I knew I was weaving. Never got caught... never in a drinking accident... never got a DWI.

But then in college I was T-boned by a drunk driver running a really red red light and it almost killed me. Caved my 65 Mustang passenger side door in all the way to my drivers seat. My head whipped over & knocked out the drivers side window... the car then spun all the way across the intersection and hit a car in the turning lane throwing me up into the windshield knocking a perfect hole in it with the top of my head... seatbelts weren't a big deal back in the 70's.

Anyway I survived but I had to rehab so long, seemed like about a year before I felt pretty alright, that it ended me continuing to play college basketball.

So yes I care... about you and everyone else. Be careful.

Politically incorrect because I'll get hammered on all sides by everyone. It's politically incorrect because no one would even think of saying it in public, until now:

I drink and drive. I have been drinking and driving home since I was 17. I am now 53. Mind you, it doesn't happen much these days simply because I drink less than I used to. But I still do. I do it because I CAN drink and drive and I have to get home. Designated drivers? Ha! Anyone EVER do that?

I have never gotten so much as a ticket when driving under the influence, nor as much as a fender bender. How do I know this? Because I always remember everything up until the point when I pass out. I believe it is something in my make up that processes alchohol differently. I'm not really sure, but I do know that it is genetic. Both of my brothers have the ability also.So do my daughters, though none of us ever talk about it. It's too PC to even mention among kin. I am always capable of control. I laugh more, and feel high, but when I need to, I can be in control.

Why do I say this? Why post this? Because I'm anonimous here and I have a point that I think is valid.

I believe that there are many others like me out there. You never hear about them because they never get stopped nor cause harm to people AND they too, never talk about it. Also, my point in this post is that I believe that the police practice of road blocks and random checks should be stopped. There are those who are not capable of driving under the influence and they can be seen and recognised by anyone. If you are seen to be driving impaired then by all means you should be stopped. In my case, since I drive very well, I should not be randomly stopped and checked. Heck, I'm probably a safer driver when I've been drinking. I concetrate on the road more for fear of getting stopped.

Hammer away!

I can't criticize you. I drive more carefully when I have had a lot to drink, which makes me a potential target for cops. As a result, I have quit driving under such circumstances, because the risk to my driver's license at random roadblocks. I agree with you 100%. No matter how safely I drive, I could get a DUI. It amounts to penalizing the use of alcohol, and does not promote safety, but we live in a Puritanical society.

I can't criticize you. I drive more carefully when I have had a lot to drink, which makes me a potential target for cops. As a result, I have quit driving under such circumstances, because the risk to my driver's license at random roadblocks. I agree with you 100%. No matter how safely I drive, I could get a DUI. It amounts to penalizing the use of alcohol, and does not promote safety, but we live in a Puritanical society.

Doesn't the fact you just said the above highlight remark mean it does promote safety?;)

There has to be some medical tests because everything else would be totally at the officers discrection... that's why the had to come up with medical tests in the first place. Cases where people were impaired were getting thrown out and cases of someone not really impaired but just acting weirdly we being allowed for convictions.

The just thing is to simply have a reasonable baseline legal limit. From all my experience with drinking... and in 52 years it has been significant;)... (.1) was a reasonable limit. I think the prohibition crowd MAD pushing for a (.08) limit was treading into ridiculous territory.

IMO if you are going to allow it to be legal serve alcohol in restaurants then you have to match a law that allows for some consumption and still let the patrons drive home. But there's a big difference in impairment between someone having a couple beers or glasses of wine with dinner and someone sitting in a bar drinking for hours and then driving home. I'm sure you agree.

I don't go to bars any more. I stopped that when I got married. Didn't I mention that I always drove slower and more carefully after I had been drinking? Reckless driving is reckless driving, sober or not, and merits strict penalities. However, people should only be held responsible for their actions, not their potential actions.

What's more, I now only drink high end beers and wines, and therefore seldom have more than a half a bottle of wine or a couple of beers. I get filled up. Young people tend to drive far more recklessly and to drink much more than most older people.

I don't go to bars any more. I stopped that when I got married. Didn't I mention that I always drove slower and more carefully after I had been drinking? Reckless driving is reckless driving, sober or not, and merits strict penalities. However, people should only be held responsible for their actions, not their potential actions.

What's more, I now only drink high end beers and wines, and therefore seldom have more than a half a bottle of wine or a couple of beers. I get filled up. Young people tend to drive far more recklessly and to drink much more than most older people.

The point is though that being "slower & more careful" has nothing to do with your impairment.

It's you trying to overcome your impairment but they are two completely different things.

Alcohol slows reaction times, causes loss of focus, affects eyesight, creates a greater sense of well being even when there is danger... or in some cases creates a sad or angry reaction.

When the potential action you're talking about is physically harming or killing someone and there's a absolute 100% documented medically & scientifically provable link that drinking hurts not helps anyone's driving abilities to some extent... then I don't think society has to wait until the wreck. The people that would without doubt be hurt or killed should have their right to drive on safe streets protected too.

The best thing for everyone is to have a reasonable and not over zealous minimum standard for legal driving and enforce that equally. As I've said I'm in favor of the old (.1) minimum standard.

The point is though that being "slower & more careful" has nothing to do with your impairment.

It's you trying to overcome your impairment but they are two completely different things.

Alcohol slows reaction times, causes loss of focus, affects eyesight, creates a greater sense of well being even when there is danger... or in some cases creates a sad or angry reaction.

When the potential action you're talking about is physically harming or killing someone and there's a absolute 100% documented medically & scientifically provable link that drinking hurts not helps anyone's driving abilities to some extent... then I don't think society has to wait until the wreck.

The best thing for everyone is to have a reasonable and not over zealous minimum standard for legal driving and enforce that equally. As I've said I'm in favor of the old (.1) minimum standard. A person can drink 3 beers an hour and pass at that rate... that seems fair.

Werbung:
Back