THE NEW & IMPROVED G.I. BILL...well not quite 'IMPROVED'

ASPCA4EVER

Land of the JAYHAWKS-ROCK CHOCK Jayhawk, KU
Benefits under new GI Bill vary widely by state

Veterans attending college could get a full ride or very little help

090706-gi-bill-vmed.vsmall.jpg
Damian Dovarganes / AP file
Anthony Brooks, a former Army corporal, plans to attend the University of Southern California in the fall under the new GI Bill. He will get a mere $5,000 toward the $38,570 tuition charged at the private school, while veterans who choose a private school in Texas could get close to $20,000 a semester.

View related photos
APTRANS.gif

updated 1 hour, 29 minutes ago

When the new GI Bill kicks in Aug. 1, the government's best-known education program for veterans will get the biggest boost since its World War II-era creation. But the benefit is hardly the "Government Issue," one-size-fits-all standard the name implies.
In fact, depending on where service members and veterans decide to attend college, they could receive a full ride, or very little.
An Associated Press review of state-by-state benefits under the new bill shows huge discrepancies in the amount veterans can receive.
For example:
_ Veterans attending New Hampshire colleges like Dartmouth might get $25,000 from the government each year, and in Dartmouth's case essentially a free ride, thanks to an additional grant from the Ivy League school. But in neighboring Massachusetts, it is a different story. At that state's numerous private schools — many just as expensive as Dartmouth — the government's baseline tuition benefit is only about $2,200 a year.
_ Veterans who choose a private school in Texas could get close to $20,000 a semester from the government for a typical course load. Those picking schools in California will get nothing for tuition.
The explanation stems from the formula the government created, as well as a much-criticized decision by the Department of Veterans Affairs on how to implement the law.
The new GI Bill covers full in-state undergraduate tuition and fees at any public college. That's far more generous than the old GI Bill, which provides a monthly stipend that is the same from state to state.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31765771/ns/us_news-military

Just smacking my forehead in frustration...I was hoping that this was going to be unilaterally straight across the board {new & improved college reimbursement via the G.I. Bill}...or why say that they were going to fix this so that the GI Bill was going to be 'BETTER'...does this committee have a CLUE...any CLUE...anything??? :mad:

Werbung:
Just smacking my forehead in frustration...I was hoping that this was going to be unilaterally straight across the board {new & improved college reimbursement via the G.I. Bill}...or why say that they were going to fix this so that the GI Bill was going to be 'BETTER'...does this committee have a CLUE...any CLUE...anything???
They promise you the moon and stars to get elected... Then once they have your vote, the politician moons you and knocks your lights out.

As far as California goes, serves them right for throwing military recruiters off campus.

welcome.jpg

Such patriotism... :rolleyes:

They promise you the moon and stars to get elected... Then once they have your vote, the politician moons you and knocks your lights out.

As far as California goes, serves them right for throwing military recruiters off campus.

welcome.jpg

Such patriotism... :rolleyes:

They promise you the moon and stars to get {elected} signed up... Then once they have your {vote} signature, the {politician} recruiter: moons you and knocks your lights out.

Such honesty...:rolleyes: Recruiters...tell you anything and everything to meet their quotas...I'm glad that some high schools/colleges are finally starting to 'WISE UP' and they just say 'NO', TO ALLOWING THEM ONTO THEIR CAMPUSES ESPECIALLY FOR CAREER DAY!!! I wish they all would!!! ;)

They promise you the moon and stars to get {elected} signed up... Then once they have your {vote} signature, the {politician} recruiter: moons you and knocks your lights out.

Such honesty...:rolleyes: Recruiters...tell you anything and everything to meet their quotas...I'm glad that some high schools/colleges are finally starting to 'WISE UP' and they just say 'NO', TO ALLOWING THEM ONTO THEIR CAMPUSES ESPECIALLY FOR CAREER DAY!!! I wish they all would!!! ;)

Then don't b1tch when they don't give any money to GI students who want to go to those schools.

Then don't b1tch when they don't give any money to GI students who want to go to those schools.

Perhaps we should be glad they do not have to pay for their own medical for war related injuries, which was the last obama plan to screw over the GI's that got shot down because people went nuts protesting and calling congressmen exc.

One shouldn't have anything to do with the other...it never was set up that way in the past...the G.I. Bill is not based on 'recruiting quotas from same said schools'.

It is supposed to be based on the educational requirements that the SOLIDER is after, not whether or not the recruiter gets to count signatures, bonus points for the most heads signed up during enrollment, etc., etc., etc., :D

Perhaps we should be glad they do not have to pay for their own medical for war related injuries, which was the last obama plan to screw over the GI's that got shot down because people went nuts protesting and calling congressmen exc.

I know this will cause/create much mental anguish...but could you manage to stay focused on the topic/thread/issue...it is NOT ABOUT BASHING OBAMA...for CHRIST SAKES...GET OVER IT ALREADY!!!

At this rate you'll cause serious brain burnout from Over Reacting to anything and everything that you can blame our current President for...pace yourself...LMAO You've got 3.5 more years to go ;)

I know this will cause/create much mental anguish...but could you manage to stay focused on the topic/thread/issue...it is NOT ABOUT BASHING OBAMA...for CHRIST SAKES...GET OVER IT ALREADY!!!

At this rate you'll cause serious brain burnout from Over Reacting to anything and everything that you can blame our current President for...pace yourself...LMAO You've got 3.5 more years to go ;)

2.5 is more accurate and not just for me. All I am saying is look at the bright side, this new bill screws them over way less than the bill obama wanted in the first place. There was some compromise apparently, and that is a good thing. Its not good to always just see the negative...

Werbung:
2.5 is more accurate and not just for me. All I am saying is look at the bright side, this new bill screws them over way less than the bill obama wanted in the first place. There was some compromise apparently, and that is a good thing. Its not good to always just see the negative...

Great...finally an answer that could have been the first post with out the OBAMA BASHING..."Its not good to always just see the negative" EXACTLY ;)

And our President just signs the changes...he has staff/aides/advisers/committees/congressional designates that are supposed to be the 'thoughts/brains' behind the bills...but that's just what I've been told from the G.W.B. republicans :rolleyes:

Back