The News

karenlyn

I just mentioned the movie Good Night and Good Luck in another post, and it got me to thinking. Has anybody else seen this movie? I thought it was wonderful-- a scathing criticism of the media today.

Anybody else out there outraged (to use Paula's word) that the media isn't doing their job? Because reporting the news that the government wants us to hear is NOT their job. It's to tell the truth-- all of it.

Werbung:
I may make a new thread on the subject of this post, but since there are no other Australian correspondants as of yet, I guess I'll just include it here.

I have heard of Good Night and Good Luck but unfortunately not seen it. However, I have heard that new legislation has been passed deregulating various aspects of ownership rights in Australian media- basically it allows media companies to be sold to foreign owners...which James Packer promptly did.

The problem is very basic and very large. Regardless of the semantic, ownership ultimately dictates the direction of what goes on the idiot box and what doesn't. In already murky waters of the liability of journalism on TV, just what good is it if we cannot even receive a bias from our own country? Even if it is an unintended consequence, I tend to agree with the detractors that such a move is in fact slamming the nails home in the coffin for a dying democracy.

I agree a great movie....

Unfortunatly the media in the US right now is more interested in money then it is in reporting the truth. which is why we get so many tabloid type stories and very little on serious topics

Outside of Fox, I haven't notice that the American media is exactly reporting the news that the government wants us to hear. If the administration had its way, I doubt there would be as many reportings of road side bombs and daily deaths. In many cases, the media is in direct opposition to the war (as an example).

Werbung:
Outside of Fox, I haven't notice that the American media is exactly reporting the news that the government wants us to hear. If the administration had its way, I doubt there would be as many reportings of road side bombs and daily deaths. In many cases, the media is in direct opposition to the war (as an example).

But fox news is total crap. just saying.

Back