The "Perks" Of "Choosing Life".

Mr. Shaman

I'm sure the entire Third World is saying, "THANKS, U.S. moralists!!!"

"The Bush administration this month is quietly cutting off birth control supplies to some of the world’s poorest women in Africa.

Thus the paradox of a “pro-life” administration adopting a policy whose result will be tens of thousands of additional abortions each year — along with more women dying in childbirth.

The saga also spotlights a clear difference between Barack Obama and John McCain. Senator Obama supports U.N.-led efforts to promote family planning; Senator McCain stands with President Bush in opposing certain crucial efforts to help women reduce unwanted pregnancies in Africa and Asia.

There is something about reproductive health — maybe the sex part — that makes some Americans froth and go crazy. We see it in the opposition to condoms to curb AIDS in Africa and in the insistence on abstinence-only sex education in American classrooms (one reason American teenage pregnancy rates are more than double those in Canada).

The latest bout of reproductive-health madness came in the last couple of weeks when the U.S. Agency for International Development ordered six African countries to ensure that no U.S.-financed condoms, birth control pills, I.U.D.’s or other contraceptives are furnished to Marie Stopes International, a British-based aid group that operates clinics in poor countries."

"More than 500,000 women a year -- about one every minute -- die in childbirth across the globe, almost exclusively in the developing world, and almost always from causes preventable with basic medical care. The planet's worst rates are in this startlingly poor nation on West Africa's Atlantic coast, where a decade of civil war that ended in 2002 deepened chronic deprivation.

According to the United Nations, a woman's chance of dying in childbirth in the United States is 1 in 4,800. In Ireland, which has the best rate in the world, it is 1 in 48,000. In Sierra Leone, it is 1 in 8.http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...0/11/AR2008101102165.html?hpid=artslot&sub=AR"

Werbung:
More importantly, it means alive mothers.

Seems to me that most abortions do not take place in the developing world. I do not think you can make the argument for legal abortion in the US based on the fact that the mother might die due to lack of basic medical care....

Seems to me that most abortions do not take place in the developing world.
Well it is tough to tell, considering there is no reliable data that I could quickly find for most developing countries, especially those in large portions of Africa, and also for those countries where abortion is otherwise outlawed.
I do not think you can make the argument for legal abortion in the US based on the fact that the mother might die due to lack of basic medical care....
I wasnt trying to make that case. I was responding to the cheap shot Libs made, and trying to keep it on topic when concerning the conditions in many other countries, and avoiding America all together.

Werbung:
Well it is tough to tell, considering there is no reliable data that I could quickly find for most developing countries....
....i.e. no data that supports "conservative" beliefs....quite-often THE "conservative"-conundrum.

Back