The RINOs are restless

Rick

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/259623/mitch-daniels-cpac-kathryn-jean-lopez

RINO Mitch Daniels, governor of indiana, made a speech at CPAC. Near the end of his speech, he ressurects the standard RINO line - you have to read a little between the lines, but the subtext is republicans can only win if they become like liberals. Conservatives will see the "deja vu all over again". Sorry gov, we've been there and done that - the last RINO disaster was....when was that? .......... oh yeah, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in november 2008.

Excerpts:

We must be the vanguard of recovery, but we cannot do it alone. We have learned in Indiana, big change requires big majorities. We will need people who never tune in to Rush or Glenn or Laura or Sean. Who surf past C-SPAN to get to SportsCenter. Who, if they’d ever heard of CPAC, would assume it was a cruise ship accessory.

The second worst outcome I can imagine for next year would be to lose to the current president and subject the nation to what might be a fatal last dose of statism. The worst would be to win the election and then prove ourselves incapable of turning the ship of state before it went on the rocks, with us at the helm.

So we must unify America, or enough of it, to demand and sustain the Big Change we propose. Here are a few suggestions:

We must display a heart for every American, and a special passion for those still on the first rung of life’s ladder. Upward mobility from the bottom is the crux of the American promise, and the stagnation of the middle class is in fact becoming a problem, on any fair reading of the facts. Our main task is not to see that people of great wealth add to it, but that those without much money have a greater chance to earn some.

We should address ourselves to young America at every opportunity. It is their futures that today’s policies endanger, and in their direct interest that we propose a new direction.

We should distinguish carefully skepticism about Big Government from contempt for all government. After all, it is a new government we hope to form, a government we will ask our fellow citizens to trust to make huge changes.

I urge a similar thoughtfulness about the rhetoric we deploy in the great debate ahead. I suspect everyone here regrets and laments the sad, crude coarsening of our popular culture. It has a counterpart in the venomous, petty, often ad hominem political discourse of the day.

Werbung:
I did some channel-surfing last night, and saw part of a speech given by a "founding father" of the Tea Party. He is a black reverend, I can't remember his name, and he gave one of the most inspiring speeches I have ever heard. He lambasted John Boehner for compromising with the Democrats. He talked about using the "big stick" that was given to the Republicans last November, and not wasting the opportunity. He was fantastic.

Back