The (roman) Catholic Church

Aus22

I have been ask to discuss my Church following photos on Easter. I think explanations might be needed.
For example one photo shows a priest washing laymen feet. But another shows altar servers bowing and giving incense to the priest.

What is the role of a priest in our church, He is a servant of all and sometimes much do humble tasks like Jesus. But he is also the one that represents Jesus at the altar so deserves respect

Werbung:
I have been ask to discuss my Church following photos on Easter. I think explanations might be needed.
For example one photo shows a priest washing laymen feet. But another shows altar servers bowing and giving incense to the priest.

What is the role of a priest in our church, He is a servant of all and sometimes much do humble tasks like Jesus. But he is also the one that represents Jesus at the altar so deserves respect
I have been asked to discuss some doctrines and practice of my church. To start with we believe the Catholic Church is the original Church founded by Christ. This does not mean other churches are wrong or not with God. Just that they have broken away from the historical church perhaps to reform it or to emphasis certain doctrines.

However most Christian Church contains elements of Catholic belief. Like the Trinity, Communion, the need for repentance but not confession) the need to accept Christ as Saviour ( although in a different form without sacraments) and the reverence of the Bible. (stronger in Protestant churches in the past)

The doctrines that seem to divide us are usually misundertandings. The reverence we give to the Saints including Mary is one example. We admire people who led good life. Some like Mary had an important part in the life of Jesus as his mother. We believe when these saints die they go to heaven. In Heaven they can pray for us. This is part of the doctrine of the Communion of saints in which we on earth are united with the saints in heaven. Mary and the saints are close to God but are not God. The Church throughout history has put Mary second to God. All ancient churches have a Our Llady altar. Statutes of Mary were common in the Middle Ages. Some believe Mary has appear back on earth in even recent years at Fatima and Lourdes . Therefore we belive God has encouraged us to pray to Mary that she will intercede for us with God

Why would one need them to intercede ? If we admit our sins and ask forgiveness with a true heart will God not honor the covenant Christ made for us ?

Now Mary and the saints make for terrific examples for us all and aspiring to those examples isn't a bad thing. For me, Christ is my personal savior and I have personal relationship with him that is the basis of my salvation.

Dogtowner. It is human nation to be closer to a human than God. It is good you have Christ as your personal saviour. But to some prefer to approach God hrough a human. It is up to the person. Catholic are not bound to pray to Mary.

ok, thx for those insights. is jesus not a human ? seems like this aspect is key to the nsture of being theessiah.

he said.noone.gets to the fsther except thru him. i guess i can see bringing a friend along for moral support (be it priest or saint) but its you and god in the end.

Dogtower , there was a recent article in a catholic church newsleter on this subject.
What is Unique about Catholic prayer?
If many people-Christians and Non -Christians- find some way of communing (praying) with the mystery we call God. What then is unique about Catholic prayer? If we have so much in common with other people what makes the deifference.
The unfoding story of Christianity has led Catholic prayer to take on some very specific characteristics. Firstly our prayer id Chrrist-centered. We name our God in a very personal way. At the heart of our prayer is our belief that God has revealed himself through Jesus Christ, that Christ has shown us a way to God that is of an unsurpassable quality. We Catholcs, like other Christians, , we come to God through Jesus in the Holy Spirit. Our prayer takes a highly personal quality. We relate not just to a force or a mystery, in a vague, impersonal sense, but to a person.
Teresa Pirola, The Catholic Story.

In a sense I think it is similar to most Christians.

Werbung:
Dogtower , there was a recent article in a catholic church newsleter on this subject.
What is Unique about Catholic prayer?
If many people-Christians and Non -Christians- find some way of communing (praying) with the mystery we call God. What then is unique about Catholic prayer? If we have so much in common with other people what makes the deifference.
The unfoding story of Christianity has led Catholic prayer to take on some very specific characteristics. Firstly our prayer id Chrrist-centered. We name our God in a very personal way. At the heart of our prayer is our belief that God has revealed himself through Jesus Christ, that Christ has shown us a way to God that is of an unsurpassable quality. We Catholcs, like other Christians, , we come to God through Jesus in the Holy Spirit. Our prayer takes a highly personal quality. We relate not just to a force or a mystery, in a vague, impersonal sense, but to a person.
Teresa Pirola, The Catholic Story.

In a sense I think it is similar to most Christians.

yes it is (as I understand it) but does not address what you originally refer to as "to pray to Mary" or the others. I do believe all that the author says by the way as it sounds very much as it is for me.

Back