The Roosevelts Were "Polarizing", As Well!

Mr. Shaman

"In history, this hatred may well go down as the major irony of our time," wrote Childs. "The majority of those who rail against the [Roosevelts] have to a large extent had their incomes restored and their bank balances replenished since the low point of 1933," before FDR came to power. "That is what makes the phenomenon so incredible. It is difficult to find a rational cause for this hatred."

Describing the same baffling dynamics, a bewildered contemporary magazine editor created an inventory of the most vitriolic Roosevelt haters, including the CEOs of Phillips Petroleum, National Steel, DuPont, General Foods, Monsanto Chemical and General Motors, and then recorded the tremendous growth in their stocks which had all flourished since the implementation of Roosevelt's New Deal policies.

The intense hatred of the Roosevelts was a dominant feature in the American political landscape during the decade of the 1930s and prompted efforts to impeach him and even a plot to depose him by a military coup planned by high ranking officers of Wall Street's richest corporations, including Goodyear, Bethlehem Steel, JP Morgan, and DuPont. The "vast right wing conspiracy" had its own Richard Mellon Scaife.

"People in power with privilege don't want to be challenged at all," Hillary told me recently as we discussed the repetitive rhythms of history. "FDR's policies rescued capitalism, thereby saving the fortunes and restoring the incomes of so many of the same people who would curse his name over the dinner table. They somehow still felt threatened because they don't like to be questioned."

"And there is something of the same going on today. If you challenge the pharmaceutical companies, the health insurance companies, if you think investment fund managers should be taxed at the same rate as nurses and firefighters, you run into this vitriolic response."

Werbung:
I was aware that FDR certainly had powerful "enemies" during his time. Interesting to note though, 4 different time and led this country for 12 years, through some of the most difficult times in American history FDR lead us. He was dead 35 years before my time, but his impact is still felt by all Americans now 62 years later.
I think what you point out Mr Shaman, is that partisanship existed in those days as much as it does today. Just in different ways.

In the meantime, I would encourage anyone who is interested, to read a book entitled "The Plot Against America" By IIRC Phillip Roth.
It details a scenario where in the 36 election the most popular person in America and potentially the world Charles Lindberg ran against and defeated FDR in that election.
While FDR was no friend of Hitler, Lindberg was quite cozy with him. Ill leave it at that and encourage anyone interested in checking it out.

Back