"The Times, They Are A-Changing...."

Werbung:

Yes, more blacks than whites are in jail for serious crimes, and more are on death row. It doesn't follow that they are in jail because they are black, nor that the type of criminals described in the OP are being, or should be, excused because of the color of their skin.

Were I to go and shoot someone because of his/her race, I'd expect to be arrested and thrown into jail, wouldn't you?:confused:

Um... So a group of citizens got together to stop the looting and rioting that was going on in other parts of the area. Am I getting this wrong? What am I missing that was sad?

If they didn't protect their area, and a bunch of rioters and looters and gangs moved in, like I read about in other parts, would you be so unhappy about them being killed as you are about them protecting their homes and area?

Um... So a group of citizens got together to stop the looting and rioting that was going on in other parts of the area. Am I getting this wrong? What am I missing that was sad?

If they didn't protect their area, and a bunch of rioters and looters and gangs moved in, like I read about in other parts, would you be so unhappy about them being killed as you are about them protecting their homes and area?

Janak tells me he assumed the shooting victims, who were African-American, were looters because they were carrying sneakers and baseball caps with them. He guessed that the property had been stolen from a nearby shopping mall. According to Janak, a neighbor "unloaded a riot gun"--a shotgun--"on them. We chased them down."

"It was great! It was like pheasant season in South Dakota. If it moved, you shot it."

Seriously? You're going to try to defend this kind of thing, really?:eek:

I don't think you read the article carefully enough.

Seriously? You're going to try to defend this kind of thing, really?:eek:

I'm asking a question. Can I ask questions? Or is this one of those liberal things were if you don't know anything different, then you must follow the conventional wisdom?

In other parts of New Orleans, people killed people, looted entire neighborhoods, ransacked peoples homes, and fought with the policy and even started shooting at the helicopters sent to evac hospitals, and the busses sent to get people out of N.O.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_quFjMX3xLs

This video is 9 minutes long, and shows the massive anarchy and craziness that happened after Katrina. Note the girl at the end describing how a man was shot because he tried to help more people out by letting them stay in his apartment. Apparently the others thought there was enough there. Or how one shot another for trying to steal the ATM machine that he wanted to take.

At the end, it tells how search and rescue missions were called off after locals started shooting at the choppers looking for survivors.

Now all that to say this... You live in a community that survived the Hurricane, that's near where these crazy people are... what do YOU do? Band together and protect your community? Or what? Wait till the nutty people come, shoot you, and loot your homes? What's your reaction?

I don't think you read the article carefully enough.

Typically anything from Shaman is to be ignored. I found this worth responding to, on a superficial basis, simply because it's an interesting take. Further, CrooksandLiars, is a very hardcore liberal basis blog. Since it's only a blog, and it's openly basis, I take everything from it as being 99% basis, 1% truth. Even in that blog, it cites another blog and "The Nation". So we have a blog citing another blog, and The Nation, which is one of the oldest liberal publications there is. It's was created to be liberal, and remains so to this day.

Finely there's A.C. Thompson, the author of the article in "The Nation". This guy is so far left, that he openly discusses his support of Castor and Hugo Chavez. This is also a guy that says we need to end military operations, not in Iraq (although I'm sure he supports that too), but in Afghanistan, not because of anything to do with terrorism, Al Qaeda, Taliban, or anything of this nature... No, the reason we need to stop military actions is because of the environmental impact there.

Now given this information, how much do you think I trust the credibility of this article? It was posted by one of the least credible posters in my opinion, progressed through three completely biased sources, to an author who is a basket case himself.

That said....

Did you read in the article, that the day after Katrina, the guy who started all the militia was carjacked? That a guy walked up to his car, and hit him on the side of the head with a hammer, and drove off with his car. Things were so bad, as the video in the other post shows, that he thought they would come and slaughter him and his friends and neighbors, just to loot everything. He's lucky to have survived the hammer attack given he was in his mid 50s when someone attempted to smash his skull with a hammer.

Now he stumbles back home and thinks maybe they should defend their homes and area. Darn that racists.

Now, was their racism? Of course. That didn't surprise me at all. I'd wager if none of them had been attack to begin with, they likely would not have felt the need to protect their neighborhood. What do you think? This is an honest question.

Katrina,
May it never happen again. I hope I go to my grave without having to see such a scene.

I fully support people being able to defend thier property, but that does not mean shooting at people who are walking down the street looking to be evacuated.

At the same time, if I found myself in one of those situations, firstly I wouldnt be unarmed as the shooting victims appeared to be in this case. I would also not hesitate to get the necessary supplies for survival for myself and family. But I would not be grabbing TVs that is for sure.

Katrina,
May it never happen again. I hope I go to my grave without having to see such a scene.

I fully support people being able to defend thier property, but that does not mean shooting at people who are walking down the street looking to be evacuated.

At the same time, if I found myself in one of those situations, firstly I wouldnt be unarmed as the shooting victims appeared to be in this case. I would also not hesitate to get the necessary supplies for survival for myself and family. But I would not be grabbing TVs that is for sure.

If you read the background for that story, I'm not entirely sure I believe any of it, accept that there was a guy with two other men, that went through Algiers Point, and were shot. I would guess the Ferry wasn't running, and I've found nothing that said FEMA made it a evacuation buss pickup point, like the article claims. ...at least not the Algiers Point ferry spot.

MapImage

Algiers Point is the area centered in this map. From the Ferry east to Atlantic Ave, and from the north edge at the Mississippi River, to Opelousas Ave.

Now the article claims the Algiers Ferry was setup as a FEMA rescue bus pickup point. I have not been able to conclusively determine if the ferry was operational after Katrina, but I have found some evidence they were not. Logically they wouldn't be given the destruction in that area, and the flooding of the river.

Nevertheless, the article states the dude who was shot, says he and his two friends were simply going to Algiers Ferry point, to try and catch a bus out of town. Now how likely is it that FEMA would send a bus all the way to Algiers Point, to pick people up? Ah... I can't see that. Perhaps if the Ferry was running, but I find the dubious. More likely, if the Ferry terminal was a FEMA rescue point, it was the west side of the river, not Algiers Point.

I also fine it curious that it was not him and his wife or kids, or girl friend, or family. Nope, just him and his two bros. Walking through Algiers Point with sacks and bags. It's also interesting that he apparently no longer felt the need to leave New Orleans after he was released from the hospital. Of course perhaps he returned later. Didn't say.

Now again, I'm not suggesting it was entirely inaccurate, I'm saying the sources are questionable, and the evidence a bit dubious.

Werbung:
No, didn't you know, Black people are born bad.

They just can't help themselves from committing crime.

It has nothing to do with the fact that they are invariabbly born into poverty and kept there by an institutionally racist society.

They all have exactly the same opportunity as Bill Gates' children but they choose to go to jail as a softer option.

Makes perfect sense

Back