1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

The truth about Palin and the Bridge to Nowhere

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by Popeye, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

Caribou Barbie has been going around claiming she stopped the Bridge to Nowhere. The McCain campaign has released an ad to that effect. Here's the truth:

I guess this is all just politics but to say she singlehandedly stopped the bridge is a bit of a stretch if not an outright lie.

http://online.wsj.com/article_print/SB122090791901411709.html

2. Federal Farmer

Federal Farmer New Member

REPOST from the OTHER, or should I say, ONE of the other "bridge" threads. I guess when it's the only thing that the Libs can remotely find to complain about a candidate on, 3, 4, 5, or even 6 threads just aren't enough.:rolleyes:

Oh, and just to rub some salt into the wounds I've inflicted on all of the Libs who have been complaining that Palin didn't do enought about "the bridge", or was somehow "flip-flopping" on it, weeeelllllll it would appear that both Obastard and Obiden voted NO to diverting the funding for the bridge, to the clean up and rebuilding in the aftermath of Katrina and Rita!! Seems that they thought that a bridge in Alaska to serve a community of 7,000 was more important than an 5 States that had just been devastated by one of the most powerful hurricanes to ever strike the US. :mad::mad:

SOURCE

Oh, and Poopeye, did she, or did she NOT, stop the bridge project? It's a very simple question, one of those YES or NO ones, or are you going to pull an Obama and answer "present"?

3. top gun

top gun New Member

4. Federal Farmer

She was for it before she found out that her predecessor had PISSED AWAY THE MONEY!!

5. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

Oh. you like yes or no questions, ok I've got a real simple one...Was she for the bridge before she was against it, yes or no?

Here's another...Did Gov. Palin request $750 million in her two years as governor -- which the AP says is the largest per-capita request in the nation, yes or no?

6. Pandora

Pandora Well-Known Member

Popeye,

Why do you care about this topic? Obama has done so many pork deals its not even funny. Two of them are questionable on if they are even legal or not. when he gave the millions to his wifes job while she was working and it ended up advancing her pay by thousands of dollars a year and when he gave to the various real estate people including tony reszco that he got a sweetheart of a house deal from.

on top of that there is litterally millions of dollars in pork he brought home to his state, so why are you so into this one thing that started before Palin became govenor. Even if she herself did it, why are you harping on it when its a grain of sand in the sand dunes of obamas pork?

Its not that you care about pork because you would be mad at Obama for his, so what is it then?

7. Federal Farmer

Damn you're a rude one! Didn't your mamma ever teach you to never answer a question with a question?

Answer mine and I'll answer yours.

8. Federal Farmer

Uh, NO O, that's HUNDREDS of millions ($300 million to be precise) in PURE pork, in 2007 alone!

9. Pandora

I know but I didnt want to sound mean in my post

10. Federal Farmer

Hey, if the truth hurts...! I just don't believe in "sugar coating" anything (in case you hadn't noticed).

11. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

It's not the pork, it's lying about the pork. Palin and McCain portraying her as a reformer, when even the WSJ (link to the OP) questions such a claim.

Palin is anything but a reformer...she was for the Bridge to Nowhere until it became politically unpopular and Alaska.

Obama requested requested $311 million in earmarks last year, according to the AP, and none this year. In comparison, Palin has requested $750 million in her two years as governor -- which the AP says is the largest per-capita request in the nation.

Geez, if you go by those number, the real reformer is Obama.

12. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

And Palin has requested $750 million in her 18 months as governor. That's an average of well over the 311 million Obama requested.

13. Pandora

She did take on her own party in other ways. Maybe they are meaning she is a reformer in other ways.

McCain never took ear marks, he is untouchable in this area, but I can see where she is touchable. I have heard that it was normal practice for small towns like hers to get help and she ended it when she stoped being the mayor and they still dont do the pork there but Its so hard to know who is telling the truth.

on the ear marks it should be obama vs mccain

it seems to me. and I see nothing wrong with questioning her on what exactly she is a reformer on and then point out her earmarks.

ABC is going to interview her soon, maybe they can ask her about it.

14. Federal Farmer

What Poopeye fails to comprehend is the difference between legitimate earmarks, and PORK BARREL SPENDING.

Also, the $750 million number is total BS. It's $1.744 BN in earmarks that have been requested by the State of Alaska for 2008. That's the problem with you Libtards, you chug the Kool-Aide that's put out by any idiot in the lamestream media, and never bother to actually FACT CHECK!

Now, we'll let him go cross-eyed going through that, and see how much of it he comes up with that's legitimate earmarks, and how much is pork. Then we'll compare his list and use the same metric to analyze Barack Obama's requested earmarks and see who actually has more "pork" and who has more legitimate earmarks.

15. Bunz

Bunz New Member

It certainly is possible. I think this whole rendition of her being a reformer is being blown way overboard by both sides. Ultimately, in Alaska, she is a poppulist.
    Touchable? Hired Lobbyists? Wasilla never had a paid DC lobbyist until Palin became Mayor. Her and Uncle Ted, especially Don Young go back a long ways. You want to talk earmarks...We need to travel to Wasilla and look at what has happened since she took office 12 years ago. A hospital that is going to have her name on it, a sports arena that will have Todd's name, or maybe Track's. Major blunders in road improvements, Wal Marts literally right across the street from another. Box stores killing long standing local businesses, and all bought and paid for by lobbyists and done on her watch.
    I am sure it will be interesting to watch. Because we havent heard anything of substance from her since she was picked.