The United Nations.

palefrost

The UN's Jan Egeland has condemned the devastation caused by Israeli air strikes in Beirut, saying it is a violation of humanitarian law.

I'm so disappointed in what the United Nations has become!
angry.gif
They have no real power of any kind. The people that seem to be running it are profiting off "oil for food" and other programs more then they are bringing all nations of the world together to work for peace and development. What happened to working for the principles of justice, human dignity and the well-being of all people? Its just a big bureaucratic nightmare! So much for the opportunity for countries to balance global interdependence and national interests when addressing international problems.
undecided.gif
Am i the only one disappointed in the United Nations? Am i expecting to much?

Werbung:
I'd say that you are expecting too much for people to do things out of the kindness of their own heart. Everything is this world if money, and if your country isn't making any of it out of the deal, then you're not gonna care. The only way things get done is when someone gets paid. Sad, but true.

While altruism is all well and good on a small scale, people are motivated by self interest most of the time. Why should people sacrifice their time and money with nothing in return?

Brandon said:
While altruism is all well and good on a small scale, people are motivated by self interest most of the time. Why should people sacrifice their time and money with nothing in return?

OK so what exactly are you saying here? That the UN employees should be compensated with "special deals" that line there pockets while they milk the profits of trade contracts? SHAME SHAME!! :mad: I guess the over inflated salaries that skim off the money collect is'nt enough? Do you know how much of that money actually goes to the charities after the salaries are paid out?

The budget for the two years 2000-2001 is $2,535 million. The main source of funds is the contributions of Member States, which are assessed on a scale approved by the General Assembly. The fundamental criterion on which the scale of assessments is based is the capacity of countries to pay. This is determined by considering their relative shares of total gross national product, adjusted to take into account a number of factors, including their per capita incomes.
In addition, countries are assessed -- in accordance with a modified version of the basic scale -- for the costs of peacekeeping operations, which stood at around $2 billion in 2000.

TWO BILLION DOLLARS!! Yes your right they should be entitled to benefit from all the hard work of collecting that money for those privileged countries!! /sarcasm off

The United Nations family of organizations is made up of the United Nations Secretariat, the United Nations programmes and funds -- such as the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and the UN Development Programme (UNDP) -- and the specialized agencies. The programmes, funds and agencies have their own governing bodies and budgets, and set their own standards and guidelines. Together, they provide technical assistance and other forms of practical help in virtually all areas of economic and social endeavour
No wonder Secretary-General Annon wont step down. Why should he. Everyone expects him to use and abuse his position right? :mad:

Werbung:
I have never really understood being anti-corporation. I understand being anti-corruption. But a legitimate, well-run business can do many great things, and even contribute to society through charity donations, scholarships, and jobs. I suppose that a really big company has the potential for more corruption because it's hard to track everyone to make sure they are doing what's right. But I don't think corporations are inherently bad.

Back