1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

The United Nations.

Discussion in 'World Politics' started by palefrost, Jul 23, 2006.

1. palefrost

palefrost New Member

I'm so disappointed in what the United Nations has become! [​IMG] They have no real power of any kind. The people that seem to be running it are profiting off "oil for food" and other programs more then they are bringing all nations of the world together to work for peace and development. What happened to working for the principles of justice, human dignity and the well-being of all people? Its just a big bureaucratic nightmare! So much for the opportunity for countries to balance global interdependence and national interests when addressing international problems. [​IMG] Am i the only one disappointed in the United Nations? Am i expecting to much?

2. Word2Action

Word2Action New Member

I'd say that you are expecting too much for people to do things out of the kindness of their own heart. Everything is this world if money, and if your country isn't making any of it out of the deal, then you're not gonna care. The only way things get done is when someone gets paid. Sad, but true.

3. Brandon

Brandon New Member

While altruism is all well and good on a small scale, people are motivated by self interest most of the time. Why should people sacrifice their time and money with nothing in return?

4. palefrost

palefrost New Member

OK so what exactly are you saying here? That the UN employees should be compensated with "special deals" that line there pockets while they milk the profits of trade contracts? SHAME SHAME!! :mad: I guess the over inflated salaries that skim off the money collect is'nt enough? Do you know how much of that money actually goes to the charities after the salaries are paid out?

TWO BILLION DOLLARS!! Yes your right they should be entitled to benefit from all the hard work of collecting that money for those privileged countries!! /sarcasm off

No wonder Secretary-General Annon wont step down. Why should he. Everyone expects him to use and abuse his position right? :mad:

5. Brandon

Brandon New Member

I was not focusing on the UN. I was just making a general statement.

6. palefrost

palefrost New Member

SHAME SHAME!! :mad:

I really really enjoyed that :D

7. Brandon

Brandon New Member

Sorry, I am a captialist!

8. palefrost

palefrost New Member

Im a anti-corporatist..:( Our love can never be....*sobs*

p.s. SHAME SHAME!

9. OneofaKind

OneofaKind New Member

The Britney picture goes perfectly with that statement! :p

10. capitalist_junkie

capitalist_junkie New Member

I have never really understood being anti-corporation. I understand being anti-corruption. But a legitimate, well-run business can do many great things, and even contribute to society through charity donations, scholarships, and jobs. I suppose that a really big company has the potential for more corruption because it's hard to track everyone to make sure they are doing what's right. But I don't think corporations are inherently bad.