This is how you combat lunatic murders

dogtowner

Staff member
and its FRANCE of all places

its aboiut time someone held mental health professionals accountable for their malpractice when it facilitates murder and mayhem.

MARSEILLES, France (Reuters) - A French psychiatrist whose patient hacked an elderly man to death was found guilty of manslaughter on Tuesday in a groundbreaking case that could affect the way patients are treated.

A court in Marseilles said Daniele Canarelli, 58, had committed a "grave error" by failing to recognize the public danger posed by Joel Gaillard, her patient of four years.

Gaillard hacked to death 80-year-old Germain Trabuc with an axe in March 2004 in Gap, in the Alps region of southeastern France, 20 days after fleeing a consultation with Canarelli at Marseilles's Edouard Toulouse hospital.

Canarelli was handed a one-year prison sentence and ordered to pay 8,500 euros to the victim's children, in the first case of its kind in France. Defense lawyers said the ruling would have serious repercussions for treatment of the mentally ill.

"If a psychiatrist lives in fear of being sentenced, it will have very real consequences and probably lead to harsher treatment of patients," said Canarelli's lawyer, Sylvain Pontier.

The court said Canarelli should have requested Gaillard be placed in a specialized medical unit or referred him to another medical team, as one of her colleagues suggested. Her stubborn refusal had equated to a form of "blindness", the court president Fabrice Castoldi said.

Gaillard had already been forcibly committed to a secure hospital on several occasions for a series of increasingly dangerous incidents.

Werbung:
I'd think such a course would discourage people from entering the field of psychiatry in the first place.

Holding psychiatrists accountable for the results of their practice is no different that holding a medical doctor, surgeon, civil engineer, or manufacturer responsible for malpractice or public endangerment, don't you think?

Holding psychiatrists accountable for the results of their practice is no different that holding a medical doctor, surgeon, civil engineer, or manufacturer responsible for malpractice or public endangerment, don't you think?

A civil engineer deals in hard science. Either the bridge is strong enough for the intended purpose, or it isn't. Medicine is an inexact science. Will this procedure help the patient, or not is a matter of probabilities in most cases. Will the psychiatric patient go out and kill someone? Will anyone? There is no sure formula for determining that.

Were I a psychiatrist under such a law, I'd lock them all up just in case.

^ People's lives often depend upon the skills (artistic or scientific) of psychiatrists. I'd never suggest that an artist be imprisoned for painting a bad picture since nobody's life nor property depends on that artists skills. A medical doctor is part scientist and part artist, and when he makes a mistake he's held civilly or criminally responsible for his lack of skill since lives depend on it. I see a pyschiatrist as no different than a medical doctor.

A civil engineer deals in hard science. Either the bridge is strong enough for the intended purpose, or it isn't. Medicine is an inexact science. Will this procedure help the patient, or not is a matter of probabilities in most cases. Will the psychiatric patient go out and kill someone? Will anyone? There is no sure formula for determining that.

Were I a psychiatrist under such a law, I'd lock them all up just in case.

said engineer has only specs saying its strong enough and he may require sufficent testin to insure all is how its supposed to be. or he may not.

considering the consequences of guessing wrong maybe more NEED to be locked up.
the latest one was put out of harms way before. certainly seems worthy of not waiting on mom to say doit.

and befote everyone gets the wrong idea the reported assbergrrs (sic) is not ALL that was wrong with him. its known to a fairly tame sort of autism.

This isn't really part of this discussion, but is nevertheless an interesting observation I think. Medical doctors, civil engineers, policemen, and even manufaturers can be held civilly or criminally responsble for lives, injuries, or property loss associated with mis-practice of their job responsibilities. Manufacturing shop workers, social workers, and teachers, however, are virtually immune from any penalties related to their poor performance of their job respnsibilities. It's even quite possible that a Company owner could be held responsible for the malpractice of one of his/her employees. One might wonder why some persons can be held to account personally for poor performance, while others cannot?

Aspergers is on the high spectrum of autism, if infact it's autism at all. But that has nothing to do with why he became a cold blooded killer. Having a condition like aspergers doesn't preclude someone from also being psychotic.

Aspergers is on the high spectrum of autism, if infact it's autism at all. But that has nothing to do with why he became a cold blooded killer. Having a condition like aspergers doesn't preclude someone from also being psychotic.

exactly thx for the correct spelling.
my concern is that the media only mentions this one thing.
morning guy even had an autism expert on today and he still did not clarify that ghis lunatic had something else wrong that made him do this.

exactly thx for the correct spelling.
my concern is that the media only mentions this one thing.
morning guy even had an autism expert on today and he still did not clarify that ghis lunatic had something else wrong that made him do this.

Correct.
Further, the mom evidently knew that he was psychotic, as she was going to have him committed, according to this:

The fear of being committed to a psychiatric institution by his mother may have led a Connecticut man to snap and go on a shooting rampage in an elementary school that killed 26 people — including 20 children — a lifelong area resident familiar with the family and many of the victims’ families told Fox News.

So, if she knew he had a problem, why did she allow him to have access to her guns? That makes no sense.

They already are subject to liabilities which is why they all carry professional liability insurance just like I did when I was working as a shrink.

Correct.
Further, the mom evidently knew that he was psychotic, as she was going to have him committed, according to this:

So, if she knew he had a problem, why did she allow him to have access to her guns? That makes no sense.
Hindsight is always 20/20.

Werbung:
Back