Too late for a refund?

rmarin

Legal immigrants around the United States laughed and cried at the recent proposal pushed by Bush, Teddy Kennedy and the RINO Senators on Capitol Hill. They wept over money needlessly spent on attorneys’ fees, vaccinations and travel arrangements while they chuckled at the plethora of distortions forwarded by out of touch politicians who haven’t stood in line at the local Homeland Security office, waited by a mailbox on a long overdue Green card or had any personal experience with the bureaucrats whose numbers they sought to increase.

The obnoxious plea from the White House maintains that the new bill shouldn’t be viewed as blanketed amnesty. In his desperate struggle to wooly the eyes of the American voters, the President goes so far as to define the word amnesty as, “the forgiveness of an offense without penalty.” Under the proposed legislation, the illegals would be obliged to pay $5,000.

Along with the rest of the politicos, Bush neglects to consider one important truth in his ‘this bill is not an amnesty’ argument, which is how much it costs a legal immigrant to obtain a permit to work in the United States. My Italian
husband just shelled out over $5,500 in attorneys’ fees, filing fees and vaccinations. The latter of which begs a serious question. Who is going to oversee the mass inoculation of twenty million illegals?

The White House, President Bush or any other of the current amnesty proponents who wish to assert that hiring an attorney wasn’t necessary should be forced to read the stack of immigration forms and attempt to interpret
what they really mean. Riccardo and I both have college degrees but needed help understanding the requirements. Even our attorney, who is at the top in her field, struggled with the constantly moving bureaucratic hoops.

Considering our financial sacrifice and the current legislative proposal, it would have been better if Riccardo had crossed the southern border. We would have saved at least five hundred dollars.

Then there is the claim of helplessness at the border and an inability to enforce the law without expanding the current behemoth known as the Department of Homeland Security. Enlarging a failing department won’t ensure
improvement. Failing might sound harsh and it might be inappropriate where intelligence and other issues are concerned but in relation to the immigration division of the department, my use of the word fail is extraordinarily
kind.

The final interview for my Italian husband’s ‘Green card’ necessitated hiring an additional attorney. We were married in ‘2003 and decided to come back to the U.S. last year. My husband, an Italian, held a journalist’s visa and was a resident in the U.S for eight years before moving home to Europe with me several years ago.

We received a notice to appear for fingerprints at the New Orleans office, which was a six hour drive from where we live. Normally, the applicant would receive a temporary card shortly thereafter. That wasn’t the case for us and for many other legal applicants that we met along our immigration odyssey.

A month or so after appearing in New Orleans, we received a letter with an appointment for a final interview at the Jacksonville office. Excited but hesitant, we contacted our attorney to know whether or not we needed
representation. Our attorney advised us to hire an associate of hers as an insurance policy, in case anything unforeseen occurred. She recommended a bright young Jax attorney who we subsequently contacted to make arrangements.

The morning of the interview, we passed through the metal detector at the Jacksonville Homeland Security branch and met our new counsel. After a brief introduction she sat down beside us and whispered something quite alarming. “I hope we don’t get him,” as she described the middle aged bureaucrat that she had spotted across the room.

When I asked her to explain, she told me that the gentleman had an interrogation habit of separating married couples and inquiring which side of the bed they slept on.

When our turn came, a lady called out our name and I was relieved albeit for a few seconds. “Oh she’s not much better,” our attorney whispered.

The three of us walked through the hall door and into the back offices with the interviewer, who didn’t appear fond of exchanging pleasantries. We sat down and readied ourselves for the interrogation but after a minute or so, the interviewer’s phone began to ring.

She ignored it, but it kept ringing.

After a few minutes she rudely excused herself and explained that it was her children’s daycare. She had to answer it.

Twenty seconds into her cell phone conversation, she made an embarrassing revelation and warning to all who were listening. “You should hassle the people that bounce more than one check.”

The interview didn’t last too much longer.

We had avoided the pervert but ended up with a government official who was prone to misdemeanors punishable by up to 5 years in jail. These are the agents that the President and Senate wish to see more of?

Aside from the personal sacrifices, that both my husband and I were willing to make, we had to rely on friends to vouch for our financial stability. Forty five thousand in our bank account and properties weren’t enough for the bureaucrats working in immigration. We were required to have a sponsor who was obligated to supply copies of his tax returns and financial records.

Who will be the guarantor of the 12-20 million illegals? Geraldo can’t vouch for all of them.

Compassion and racism are the final two straws in the broken Republican camel’s back. I have been called a racist by more than one politician. Senator and party head Martinez and President Bush have repeatedly attempted to silence critics by insinuating their bigotry or racist tendencies.

My husband is a dark skinned Italian with a thick accent. He isn’t a bigot nor am I. Those who long for meaningful debate should dispense with name calling and effort toward serious dialogue.

The other disingenuous component to President Bush’s argument is his plea for compassion. If he cared about solving global injustices, he would send one of those cruise ships he hired to house Katrina victims to Africa and
load up with sufferers of the Sudanese violence in Darfur who currently live in refugee camps in Chad or under trees which they are forced to rent once they are displaced. I bet they would love to have a Z visa.

Name calling, needless government expansion and moral relativism used to be qualities associated with Democrats. Then again, it’s useless to ponder differentiating party factors with twenty million new Democrats
about to be made legal.

www.theabsenteeballot.com

Werbung:
Back