Traditional family key to world peace: Pope

So, Nums, here you go, an interesting story about a family having a child with much of the culture we live in being dead set against them. I think that transgendered people are going to be the straw that breaks the religious camel's back once enough people become aware of the science behind the condition. Nums and many others have said implicitly or explicitly that transgendered people are mentally defective in some way, "sick" is one of the terms I've heard, and several people were even less polite. None of those opinions are backed up by the science, but as we have all seen with racism and sexism, scientific education lags decades behind the actual research. Right here in the US the American Medical Association has been successfully treating trangendered people for more than 35 years and even most doctors don't know diddly-squat about it. Why? Religion is the biggest stumbling block, and cultural assumptions run a close second.

I'll be interested to see the responses to this article--thoughtful and visceral. I'm pretty sure that you, Nums, will be in full support of this legally married couple since you are such a big supporter of the UDHR.

http://advocate.com/issue_story_ektid52664.asp

Werbung:
"Society" didn't sign the UDHR. Governments did. Individuals did. But not "society." Society is not a conscious construct.

The government signed the document with the authority that society gave it.

Please. I have neither the time nor the inclination to argue semantics with you.

So, Nums, here you go, an interesting story about a family having a child with much of the culture we live in being dead set against them. I think that transgendered people are going to be the straw that breaks the religious camel's back once enough people become aware of the science behind the condition. Nums and many others have said implicitly or explicitly that transgendered people are mentally defective in some way, "sick" is one of the terms I've heard, and several people were even less polite. None of those opinions are backed up by the science, but as we have all seen with racism and sexism, scientific education lags decades behind the actual research. Right here in the US the American Medical Association has been successfully treating trangendered people for more than 35 years and even most doctors don't know diddly-squat about it. Why? Religion is the biggest stumbling block, and cultural assumptions run a close second.

I'll be interested to see the responses to this article--thoughtful and visceral. I'm pretty sure that you, Nums, will be in full support of this legally married couple since you are such a big supporter of the UDHR.

http://advocate.com/issue_story_ektid52664.asp

Are you talking about the ama whose positions in various issues have been saddled with controversy?

I advise you to keep your posts on pseudo science to a minimum.

The government signed the document with the authority that society gave it.

No, the government signed the document with the authority the people gave it. The people are a group of individuals acting together; "society" is the singular construct of social norms and values derived from the average of all individuals. Society does nothing consciously.

Please. I have neither the time nor the inclination to argue semantics with you.

And yet here you are, doing just that.

Are you talking about the ama whose positions in various issues have been saddled with controversy?

I advise you to keep your posts on pseudo science to a minimum.

The American Medical Association is a long way from pseudo-science, Nums, unless you can provide some proof otherwise. They haven't always been right, but who among us can truthfully say that we have been? For more than 35 years they've had great success with the Harry Benjamin Standards of Care for transsexual people.

I thought you'd like this story what with the fecundity and all. Or are you now backing away and saying that SOME fecundity is good and SOME fecundity is bad?

It's kind of fun seeing you get sandbagged with your own stance on fecundity.:D

Numinus, as much as we like how you generate debate, your lack of civility is growing incredibly tiresome.

You are tiring yourself on your own -- making distinctions between 'people' and '(civil) society' when any discussion of political science would show them to be the SAME.

The actions of the representatives of civil society BINDS ALL MEMBERS of civil society -- whether you agree with it or not.

I do not intend to engage you on a debate regarding minor details of this and that. You seem intelligent enough so why insist on such a mundane point, hmmm?

Werbung:
Back